autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Turtle hard shell wax

Hello, so I’ve applied turtle hard shell wax on top of my black e39. And after a day I’ve noticed holograms. What could cause this? And how do I fix it now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Turtle hard shell wax

Too much pressure, a dirty applicator/removal cloth are my first guesses.

TW Hard Shell wax has abrasives (cleaner wax), your tight spiral application may have something to do with it. Try using a slightly damp applicator with gentle, straight line motions to apply it and make sure you have clean non-abrasive cloths to remove it.

Instead of the Hard Shell wax, I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND the Hybrid Solutions Polish & Wax - either the "standard" or the "Black" versions.

Granted, I have a Porter Cable DA to apply the Polish and Wax to the main body of the car, but I have to do the front and back ends by hand and I get results that are almost as good.

Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, should I strip it now? Will that remove the holograms? Also what’s the best way to remove it? Plain dish soap with water? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

No, the swirl marks are in the clear coat of the paint, removing the wax won't help and besides, the dish-soap-strips-wax theory is a myth.

If I remember correctly, the TW Hard Shell wax dries fairly quickly, which is why I mentioned using a damp applicator. That will slow down the quick drying a bit. Second, reapply it, using front-to-back straight line motions like I mentioned ... GENTLY and take your time, this is not a race. Don't focus on getting the whole car done, focus on ONE PANEL AT A TIME. Work on the one panel, get it right and move on to the next. If it takes two days to complete the car that way, so be it. It is worth the time.

Even with the dual action polisher, it takes me the better part of an afternoon just to polish out my Camaro and prep it for a sealant and I cut each panel into sections: The hood is 4 sections, each fender and door is 2 sections etc. Even the back bumper is done as 2 sections.

Moral of the story is to take your time and LEARN both the process AND the product you're using. With patience comes perfection.

***EDIT*** Oh, and try to use as little product as possible, less is best. Too much product leads to difficult removal. Difficult removal leads directly to swirl marks & scratching.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

5. Likes Rsurfer liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Turtle hard shell wax

Quote Originally Posted by Don M View Post
    No, the swirl marks are in the clear coat of the paint, removing the wax won't help and besides, the dish-soap-strips-wax theory is a myth.

If I remember correctly, the TW Hard Shell wax dries fairly quickly, which is why I mentioned using a damp applicator. That will slow down the quick drying a bit. Second, reapply it, using front-to-back straight line motions like I mentioned ... GENTLY and take your time, this is not a race. Don't focus on getting the whole car done, focus on ONE PANEL AT A TIME. Work on the one panel, get it right and move on to the next. If it takes two days to complete the car that way, so be it. It is worth the time.

Even with the dual action polisher, it takes me the better part of an afternoon just to polish out my Camaro and prep it for a sealant and I cut each panel into sections: The hood is 4 sections, each fender and door is 2 sections etc. Even the back bumper is done as 2 sections.

Moral of the story is to take your time and LEARN both the process AND the product you're using. With patience comes perfection.

***EDIT*** Oh, and try to use as little product as possible, less is best. Too much product leads to difficult removal. Difficult removal leads directly to swirl marks & scratching.
    Yeah I didnt rush it, used damp MF towel. did not let it sit for 5 minutes like in the instructions, cause it is quite a hard wax. Removing after a minute is already hard. I might try not using swirls, but firstly I need to strip it, and I am not sure how to do it correctly, i can’t put new wax on the old one

+1 for less product more results

P.S. If the holograms are actually in the clear coat I must remove the wax and polish it, I was thinking they are the marks from wax not bonding/not polishing the wax out correctly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Edvinac View Post
    Yeah I didnt rush it, used damp MF towel. did not let it sit for 5 minutes like in the instructions, cause it is quite a hard wax. Removing after a minute is already hard. I might try not using swirls, but firstly I need to strip it, and I am not sure how to do it correctly, i can’t put new wax on the old one

+1 for less product more results

P.S. If the holograms are actually in the clear coat I must remove the wax and polish it, I was thinking they are the marks from wax not bonding/not polishing the wax out correctly.

Hard Shell IS difficult to use, it's very Old School. That's why I recommended the Hybrid Solutions Polish and Wax ... much easier to use. I used it on the Camaro on a 90* day in direct sun and it still was easy to use. It also has abrasives and will remove the Hard Shell without having to do a separate polishing step.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don M View Post
    Hard Shell IS difficult to use, it's very Old School. That's why I recommended the Hybrid Solutions Polish and Wax ... much easier to use. I used it on the Camaro on a 90* day in direct sun and it still was easy to use. It also has abrasives and will remove the Hard Shell without having to do a separate polishing step.
    I only used it because I had it laying around. I was also thinking about fusso coat 99 since it’s mainstream here and has awesome durability and black fillers(a lot of scratches on my oldie) and now all scratches took the bright turtle wax and u can see every scratch on the car haha.

I am still leaning towards removing it from a panel or two to inspect the clear coat SINCE not all of the car has holograms, only a few panels

Post Thanks / Like

What is the picture in the original post (OP) representing? Just the hard shell before removal, right? Was it hard to capture hologram pics?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Turtle hard shell wax

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    What is the picture in the original post (OP) representing? Just the hard shell before removal, right? Was it hard to capture hologram pics?
    Yes you are right, if you have any knowledge to share I will capture it for you. Although I am not sure how that will go, since you have to really get a good angle and a video would do justice better

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Edvinac View Post
    Yes you are right, if you have any knowledge to share I will capture it for you. Although I am not sure how that will go, since you have to really get a good angle and a video would do justice better
    No special knowledge. Just wanted to ensure I knew the purpose of the photo.

I feel for you, having wipes that off. Hard Shell was the first stuff I used as a teen. I still have a container of it. I thought I was really on to something when I tried NuFinish. Then soon after I found Meguiar’s, then AG, and the rest has been OCD history.

Strip with a pure polish that will also remove the holograms. Don’t use Turtle Wax polish unless you want TW Polish & Wax. Since you want to test panels and see holograms cone out, I think a pure polish like Meguiar’s Ultimate Polish or Swirl Remover (or anything else in AG Store) would be best.

Holograms should come out fairly easily with a DA and good polish.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast