autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

UDOS Testing Truck - 1946 Dodge Panel Truck - Machine Damp Sanding

UDOS Testing Truck - 1946 Dodge Panel Truck - Machine Damp Sanding

I'm happy to say I have received my L.C. Power Tools UDOS for testing purposes. Stay tuned for my What's in the Box write-up.

The instructions that came with the tool requested me to test in my normal manners and even test in ways I would never recommend to others.

I gave this project a lot of thought. I know people are going to have a lot of questions about this tool. After much thought, I knew I wanted a vehicle that was BIG and in BAD condition so that I could get a lot of hands-on time with the tool in all it's 5 different functions.

1: Rotary mode
    2: 8mm sanding mode
    3: 12mm free spinning long stroke mode
    4: 15mm free spinning long stroke mode
    5: 15mm free spinning long stroke mode

Testing this tool out on a Mazda Miata just isn't going to cut it. So I have a good customer that let me know when I have time, he's got a cool streetrod, that's both unique and rare, but it's lacking in one area and that's the finish quality of the paint. Fate has a way of bringing me the right projects at the right time.

Will this be a ton of work?

Yes. But I'm good friends with all the people at Lake Country and I understand they have 5 years of research and capital invested into this tool and right now - they need help with a select group of people they have chosen and put their trust into to use this tool and really put it through a complete and thorough test.

So while normally I don't like huge projects, at least I like cool projects and as I'll document, this project is huge and in the perfect (horrible) condition to enable me to get plenty of real-world, hands-on time behind the tool.

Below I have some pictures I took yesterday while in the office, (Autogeek is on lock down for the Coronavirus), if I have work I can do from my home office I'm staying home. When I'm needed in the office, then I'm practicing all the recommended guidelines for interacting in public, i.e. face masks, nitrile gloves and social distancing. So far, so good, no one at Autogeek has caught the virus.

The paint has SANDING MARKS on every panel except the hood. I tried using a SCANGRIP Sunmatch swirl finder light to capture the sanding marks but because this is a METALLIC paint job, the light reflecting off the metallic flakes and back at my camera was too much and simply blew out the picture. Next Monday, I'll try a couple other lights to see if I can better capture all the sanding marks in the paint.

I don't think I've ever worked on a car with this many leftover MACHINE sanding marks. Besides the machine sanding marks, whoever did the buff out also left holograms through the finish. The silver lining in all this is it gives me a chance to test all the drive modes of the UDOS as I'm going to re-machine sand the entire truck using 3M Trizact #5000 grit sanding discs.

Without further a do.... here's the 1946 Dodge Panel Truck and as best as I can - the photo documentation showing its current condition.

1946 Dodge Panel Truck Streetrod

• 350 Chevy Engine/350 Turbo Automatic
    • Independent front suspension with front disc brakes
    • Custom interior
    • All original factory steel

This is the section around where the wiper arms would normally be in front of the windshield - the swirl level here is low compared to the rest of the body panels.

This is a frame-up shot to show you where I'm going to focus into. The overhead florescent lights do a better job of showing the sanding marks than the swirl finder light.

These are machine sanding marks

You can also see the hills and valleys that are known as ORANGE PEEL. The tops of the hills are dull (sanded), and the valleys are un-touched.

There are both machine sanding marks and holograms throughout all the body panels like shown here...

You can see the swirls but the metallic flakes are acting like tiny mirrors and blowing out the picture.

Stay tuned....

2. Thanks JKDesign thanked for this post
    Likes Thomkirby, Aaryn NZ, JKDesign liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: UDOS Testing Truck - 1946 Dodge Panel Truck - Machine Damp Sanding

Great before pictures Mike,
    From the 3-foot distance that street rod looks great. But as you show, do not get close and inspect the paint. Hopefully they left plenty of clear coat (assumption is it has it).
    So with all that work when you apply the final touches you will have to put a filter to not get blinded. Looks like the perfect test case for the UDOS and the new products from Dr. Beasley's.

At least you will not be bored for a few days.

4. Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In for updates!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Ouch & Eww ...

A blind fold was definitely used during the finishing of this Street Rod.

You know, right now as it stands I am not a fan of the colour at all. I don’t think there would be too many other colours that are going to showcase exactly what is going to happen here but I have a sneaking suspicion I am going to love this colour when it’s finished up.

Depth & Clarity that Mike is going to bring is going to transform into a jaw dropper ... if only I could Social Distance myself from here to there .... I’d like to be hands on for this one.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Aaryn NZ View Post

I’d like to be hands on for this one.
    I'd love to have some help just to knocke it out in a sane amount of time but that won't work for testing and feedback purposes.

I'm going to tackle the roof from start to finish first, that would include,

Machine sanding
    Rotary work
    Free spinning long stroke work
    Install the Dr. Beasley's 1201

I might set my iPhone up to capture time lapse - I've never used this feature so if anyone can share their insights do so.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I'd love to have some help just to knocke it out in a sane amount of time but that won't work for testing and feedback purposes.

Exactly that. You’re going to know ALL of the goods, bads & the ugly’s by the end of this project that is for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

I'm going to tackle the roof from start to finish first, that would include,

Machine sanding
    Rotary work
    Free spinning long stroke work
    Install the Dr. Beasley's 1201

I might set my iPhone up to capture time lapse - I've never used this feature so if anyone can share their insights do so.

Great idea! That’s a bunch of work on its own & a time lapse would be a great way to show the work involved & the methodology too.

I’m definitely no expert in these kinds of technical whizz bang dangle devices but I have done a couple of time lapse videos by simply leaning my phone up against something (turns out Jonty has a little tripod thing perfect for this) so it can capture the view desired - select “time lapse” on the screen & get to work.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

9. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aaryn NZ View Post

... in these kinds of technical whizz bang dangle devices

Aaryn NZ.
    Is this an official industry term down there in NZ, Aaryn??
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

11. Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike,
    Tons of hits on Google search for Time Lapse with iPhone

How To Shoot Fascinating iPhone Time Lapse Videos

This one might be interesting read...

Good luck, will be fun to see it over time this way!

Post Thanks / Like

1: Rotary mode
    2: 8mm sanding mode
    3: 12mm free spinning long stroke mode
    4: 15mm free spinning long stroke mode
    5: 15mm free spinning long stroke mode

Mike, is there another stroke mode? 4 and 5 seem to be the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Is this an official industry term down there in NZ, Aaryn??
    Hahaha, umm, I dunno if it’s an industry term or even official but absolutely a term for an old man who has not kept up with gadgetary development since we got coloured televisions ...

Fun fact - my camera can also make phone calls!!! What ever will they think of next??? You’ll be able to see the person you’re calling or something crazy like that ...

Aaryn NZ.

15. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast