autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

White Single Stage Paint

Mike-
    I'm going to paint correct my friend's VW Vanagon and I had a few questions that I hope you can help me with. I'm no stranger to paint correction, but I've never done single stage paint before and wanted to ensure I get the best results without endangering the paint. I did a small test section already, and it does look markedly better, but not what I thought was possible. To make things more challenging, it's white, so it's tough to see my true results. For my test section, I used my FLEX 3401 with a yellow Rupes pad, using Optimum Hyper Polish. I made a couple of passes, cleaned my pad, and made two more passes. I'm getting white paint on the pad, so I assume I'm getting some cut. So my questions are, should I just roll with this combo? Or try some variations like a MF pad and/or Hyper Compound? I also have Sonax Perfect Finish available (among a bunch of other stuff) if you think a different product works better for singe stage paint. What do you suggest?

And as always, thank you for everything you do!!!!
    It's greatly appreciated.

Mike Phillips

Re: White Single Stage Paint

Quote Originally Posted by Saibot View Post

Mike-
    I'm going to paint correct my friend's VW Vanagon and I had a few questions that I hope you can help me with. I'm no stranger to paint correction, but I've never done single stage paint before and wanted to ensure I get the best results without endangering the paint.

I did a small test section already, and it does look markedly better, but not what I thought was possible. To make things more challenging, it's white, so it's tough to see my true results.

For my test section, I used my FLEX 3401 with a yellow Rupes pad, using Optimum Hyper Polish. I made a couple of passes, cleaned my pad, and made two more passes. I'm getting white paint on the pad, so I assume I'm getting some cut.
    That sounds about right.

Here's one factor that's unique to single stage white paint - the pigment itself is hard. So single stage white paint is harder to correct when it's oxidized and even when it's not oxidized. So definitely get more aggressive.

So my questions are, should I just roll with this combo? Or try some variations like a MF pad and/or Hyper Compound?

I also have Sonax Perfect Finish available (among a bunch of other stuff) if you think a different product works better for singe stage paint.

What do you suggest?
    I would use a more aggressive foam pads, not a microfiber pad. They'll both load up and gum-up but the foam pad will work better.

Offhand, I think the Hyper Compound will be as aggressive and possibly more aggressive than the SONAX Perfect Finish, so test it with a foam cutting pad and crank your BEAST up to the 5-6 setting and apply some pressure.

I do like the SONAX Perfect Finish for what it's worth, it's a really nice light cutting compound or you could call it a heavy cutting polish. It's formulated for use with rotary buffers but I use it all the time with orbitals with great results.

Be sure to take a GREAT before pictures BEFORE buffing like the hood or trunk lid. Here's my article on this topic.

The power in the after shots is created in the before shots

And as always, thank you for everything you do!!!!

It's greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the compliment, sometimes this job feel fairly thankless.

Mike Phillips

Here's a blast from the past....

This Toyota truck had very oxidized single stage paint. We used the VERY SHARP and hard RUPES UHS foam pads.

This is also a text book example of taking a great before picture (before you make a shiny spot doing your Test Spot), and then framing up and taking the same location shot for the after shot.

RUPES EASY GLOSS System - EXTREME MAKEOVER - 2006 Toyota Tundra - YEARS of neglect!

BEFORE

AFTER

The owner never used a machine before but picked right up on it....

Toyota Single Stage White Urethane paint really comes back nice.

BEFORE

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, Mike! You are gifted with the polisher. That looks amazing! I am really inspired by those pictures. I'll have to get some pictures when I get another crack at the van next week.
    Thank you for the help and guidance! (I so wish I could make your class one day)