autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rock chips

Post Thanks / Like

Rock chips

How do you recommend dealing with rock chips, dr color chip vs just leave them alone? I feel like the only person who gets rock chips on my paint. I don’t know if its just not looking as close at other peoples cars or what. I am dealing with florida love bugs everywhere and have been frantically cleaning them off daily and found another rock chip probably have about around 5 on my 2 year old car. Mike are rock chips avoidable?

Mike Phillips

Re: Rock chips

Quote Originally Posted by tim500 View Post

How do you recommend dealing with rock chips, dr color chip vs just leave them alone? I feel like the only person who gets rock chips on my paint. I don’t know if its just not looking as close at other peoples cars or what. I am dealing with florida love bugs everywhere and have been frantically cleaning them off daily and found another rock chip probably have about around 5 on my 2 year old car.

Google,

Dr. Color Chip Mike Phillips

The above should pull up my article. Read the article. It shows you step-by-step how to use a Dr. Color Chip kit and somewhere in post, 4, 5 or 6 I explain the secrete to overcoming frustration with chips and chip repair is to lower your expectations.

Mike are rock chips avoidable?
    Not usually. If the car is a daily driver, especially a commuter car.

Look into getting paint protection film installed on the front clip of your car.

Post Thanks / Like

What is your opinion on films? Can rocks chip them and ruin them too?

Post Thanks / Like

It’s possible that a rock will damage PPF but much less likely. The film is about twice as thick as the paint on your car and it’s plastic. Takes much more to damage it and usually if that happens the paint underneath is spared. Film can be replaced when damaged. The only cons are cost and some added orange peel. If installed properly it’s mostly invisible from normal distance as long as each panel is covered entirely. Half hoods, for example, are easy to spot.
    Bruno Soares

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I drive my own car about 20k miles a year for work and have been using PPFs for years and have only had one noticeable blemish due to something like a rock.

The first few cars I did that with I had to get the front bumper painted because the chips were so bad.

6. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What is your opinion on films? Can rocks chip them and ruin them too?
    Most have a clear coat layer and can chip but it's less likely. Larger impacts can tear them. Over time the sandblasting from road salt, etc. can show on darker colors as they are susceptible to that too. Have had PPF on dozens of my own personal cars and was glad to have it on.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

8. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Google,

Dr. Color Chip Mike Phillips

The above should pull up my article. Read the article. It shows you step-by-step how to use a Dr. Color Chip kit and somewhere in post, 4, 5 or 6 I explain the secrete to overcoming frustration with chips and chip repair is to lower your expectations.

Not usually. If the car is a daily driver, especially a commuter car.

Look into getting paint protection film installed on the front clip of your car.

Thank you. I read you post. It was excellent. How long after using Dr. Color Chip can the area be waxed with an all in one like Blackfire One Step?

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. I read you post. It was excellent. How long after using Dr. Color Chip can the area be waxed with an all in one like Blackfire One Step?
    I asked dr colorchip same thing and they say you should do any correcting /polishing 1st then clean with IPA/eraser then dr colorchip. Said 3 days was long enough to wait for me to coat so any sort of waxing should be OK. Polishing after will remove DCC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    I asked dr colorchip same thing and they say you should do any correcting /polishing 1st then clean with IPA/eraser then dr colorchip. Said 3 days was long enough to wait for me to coat so any sort of waxing should be OK. Polishing after will remove DCC.

I ignored that recommendation and touched up first, waited 2 weeks, then corrected and coated. If you coat first I doubt it will stick well, IPA doesn’t remove the coating that now covers the rock chip. Correcting after 2 weeks did not remove the touch up paint.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post

I ignored that recommendation and touched up first, waited 2 weeks, then corrected and coated. If you coat first I doubt it will stick well, IPA doesn’t remove the coating that now covers the rock chip. Correcting after 2 weeks did not remove the touch up paint.
    Bruno Soares

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast