autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

FLEX XFE 7-12 3 in. Backing Plate on a FLEX XFE7-15 ???

After ~7 years of use, my Porter Cable is starting to show signs of its age, and I'm ready for an upgrade. It doesn't always want to run at lower settings, but will still run at 5 & 6. After perusing the autogeek site, the FLEX XFE7-15 Long Stroke Orbital Polisher has caught my eye.
    I fit into the "weekend warrior" (of 2-4x/year) between my car & boat. (I baby the boat, and it doesn't have oxidation issues requiring a rotary).

One thing I've learned over the years with the PC is that if the entire pad isn't on the surface, product gets flung all over the place --- creating a mess, which leads me to my question...

For cases of side-mirrors, and all the fancy paneling at the lower-front of the car, I find the 3-4" pads are easier to work with, then use 5-6.5" pads on the larger surfaces.
    Can I put the "FLEX XFE 7-12 3 in. Backing Plate" on the "FLEX XFE7-15", or can the 3" plate only go on the XFE 7-12?
    (As I'm not a professional detailer, nor do I have any desire to become one, dropping $379.99 on the FLEX XFE 7-12 isn't going to happen for the above mentioned edge cases --- but I'd be willing to spring for plates/pads)

If I can't put the 3" plate on the FLEX XFE7-15, is my best bet to pickup another PC for the 3.5-4" pad use cases?

Thanks for any guidance of the use of plates on different polishers!

Michael

PS. I'd also plan on getting the FLEX XFE7-15 5 inch Backing Plate as I have a nice collection of 5.5" LC pads that I've used with my PC & don't want to see them go to waste.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: FLEX XFE 7-12 3 in. Backing Plate on a FLEX XFE7-15 ???

Get a Griots or Adams 3 inch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Thanks MichaelD thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM, MichaelD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

the flex xfe 7-12 backing plate is different than the one that comes with the flex xfe 7-15. xfe 7-12 has one center hole for installation and the xfe 7-15 has three anchor points for installation. two different polishers that use different backing plates that are not compatible with each other. the backing plate that comes stock with the xfe 7-15 is just under 6 inches which would be used with the 6.5-7" pads. you can also swap it out with the xfe 7-15 5" backing plate for use with 5.5-6.5" pads...

The FLEX XFE 7-12 3 in. Backing Plate is an identical replacement for the backing plate that came with your FLEX XFE 7-12 originally. Measuring at just under 3” in diameter, the FLEX XFE 7-12 3 in. Backing Plate is the ideal size to accommodate 3” or 3.5” pads.

The FLEX XFE 7-15 6 inch Backing Plate is an authentic factory replacement for the original backing plate included with your FLEX XFE 7-15 Long Stroke Orbital Polisher. The plate is designed specifically for this polisher. The backing plate is just under 6 inches in diameter. We recommend 6.5 inch pads or 7.5 inch pads.

The FLEX XFE7-15 5 inch Backing Plate, using the hook and loop method of attachment, was designed for use with the FLEX XFE-715 Long Stroke Orbital Polisher and made for 5 inch to 6.5 inch pads. FLEX XFE7-15 5 inch Backing Plate is constructed with a dense foam for stability, and attaches to the FLEX XFE7-15 Long Throw Polisher securely.

FLEX XFE 7-12 3 in. Backing Plate
    FLEX XFE7-15 5 inch Backing Plate
    FLEX XFE 7-15 6 inch Backing Plate

btw, you can't go wrong (black and red polishers ) with a flex polisher and/or a griot's garage polisher. great quality (among other things) with customer service to back it up...

5. Thanks MichaelD thanked for this post
    Likes Dr Oldz, MichaelD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Visitor covered it!!
    Jim

7. Thanks VISITOR thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for confirming that the 3" can't be used on the larger Flex.
    I added the 3" Griots Garage to my order.
    (I really don't want to know how much I've spent at PBMG companies the past decade...)

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelD View Post

Thanks for confirming that the 3" can't be used on the larger Flex.
    Even if it did fit, it would be awkward to use due to the size of the polisher with (in context) a TINY backing plate.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelD View Post
    I added the 3" Griots Garage to my order.
    (I really don't want to know how much I've spent at PBMG companies the past decade...)

The key to getting great pad rotation with the Griot's 3" Mini Polisher is to use THIN pads. Lake Country makes some in their ThinPro line, (note ThinPro is one word), and Griot's also makes thin pads in their BOSS line.

Here's something I wrote in 2016 when the ThinPro line was introduced.

NEW! 3.5" ThinPro Foam Pads! Thin is in and you're going to love these new small foam pads!

And here's an article I also wrote back in 2016 for the Griot's BOSS pads....

Review: NEW Griot's 3.5 THIN BOSS Buffing pads!"

10. Likes VISITOR, Coatingsarecrack liked this post