autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

S2000 With Possible CC Damage Question

Hello all, new to the forum so please direct me to the correct area if this isn't the proper place to post. I have an 05 Berlina Black S2000 with about 46k miles on it. After a recent accident that required a repaint of the driver side, I noticed what is probably some clear coat damage on part of the hood and the passenger fender. I'm assuming the car used to be left out in the sun, or I just have really bad luck (I currently garage the car). I understand that there isn't a way to reverse the CC damage, but I would like to polish the car as I am sure it has never been done before. My buddy has some Meguiars 205 and #9 that he has offered to let me borrow, so I have a couple questions. Is the 205 too aggressive of a compound for the areas with CC damage? My research suggests no, but wanted to confirm. From my research, it also seems like using #9 after 205 is a waste, am I correct? What would you all suggest for a sealant? Preferably something that would slow down the CC damage as much as possible. Finally, the process I plan on is as follows: Wash with ONR, clay with Speedyprep or Opimum Clay towel, Meguiars 205 with finishing pad, some kind of wax/sealant. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: S2000 With Possible CC Damage Question

Indeed it looks like the beginning stages of clearcoat damage. 205 is a finishing polish, and at this point, since you already have damage it's not really going to hurt. It may not improve the damaged areas, but then again, you may be surprised and achieve some improvement. Best thing to do is a test spot.

Other than that, your process is logically sound... Wash, decon (clay), Polish, protect.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LSNAutoDetailing View Post
    Indeed it looks like the beginning stages of clearcoat damage. 205 is a finishing polish, and at this point, since you already have damage it's not really going to hurt. It may not improve the damaged areas, but then again, you may be surprised and achieve some improvement. Best thing to do is a test spot.

Other than that, your process is logically sound... Wash, decon (clay), Polish, protect.
    Thanks for the response! I'm not expecting the polish to really correct the clear coat damage, I'm more using it to clean up the rest of the car that hasn't already started deteriorating. I am going to do a test spot on the damage, but since the two spots are on the hood and fender, whatever I do will be pretty noticeable. Any suggestions on a sealant?

Post Thanks / Like

My only other suggestion is use very nice towels! Those cars in black have really sensitive paint. I know I always say you can’t tell someone what kind of paint over the inter webs, but I’ve done a dozen of those in black and they were all extremely sensitive.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by tigercrazy718 View Post

I have an 05 Berlina Black S2000 with about 46k miles on it. After a recent accident that required a repaint of the driver side, I noticed what is probably some clear coat damage on part of the hood and the passenger fender. I'm assuming the car used to be left out in the sun, or I just have really bad luck (I currently garage the car). I understand that there isn't a way to reverse the CC damage, but I would like to polish the car as I am sure it has never been done before.
    Correct. If what you show in the picture is in fact beginning clearcoat failure, it cannot be reversed but it can be slowed down. One way to slow it down is simply keep the car/back paint out of full sun as much as possible.

Beginning Clearcoat Failure

My buddy has some Meguiars 205 and #9 that he has offered to let me borrow, so I have a couple questions.

Is the 205 too aggressive of a compound for the areas with CC damage? My research suggests no, but wanted to confirm.
    M205 is a FINE CUT polish, about as safe as you can get and still do some "work".

From my research, it also seems like using #9 after 205 is a waste, am I correct?
    Correct. You would be repeating the 205 step. Might as well do the 205 step twice.

What would you all suggest for a sealant? Preferably something that would slow down the CC damage as much as possible. Finally, the process I plan on is as follows: Wash with ONR, clay with Speedyprep or Opimum Clay towel, Meguiars 205 with finishing pad, some kind of wax/sealant.

Thanks!

Check this out...

Patented UV Protection - Optimum Car Wax - by Dr. Ghodoussi at Autogeek.com

Mike Phillips

Also just to comment....

I clicked on your pictures and viewed the full size versions. I don't think this is clearcoat failure, I think it's simple oxidation from neglected.

My guess is, polishing with M205, a foam polishing pad and s simple polisher like a Porter Cable 7425XP or Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital Polisher will remove the oxidation and restore a clear clearcoat that will reveal the true black color underneath and you will be very happy. I could be wrong though. Only some testing will show you.

If you have not done a lot of polishing, this thread has a video plus a TON of info in it. Watch the video. Most of the tips and techniques I share in it are things I am the original source for but you'll find in a plethora of other videos slathered all over the Internet but for the most part, I am the OS.

Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Also just to comment....

I clicked on your pictures and viewed the full size versions. I don't think this is clearcoat failure, I think it's simple oxidation from neglected.

My guess is, polishing with M205, a foam polishing pad and s simple polisher like a Porter Cable 7425XP or Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital Polisher will remove the oxidation and restore a clear clearcoat that will reveal the true black color underneath and you will be very happy. I could be wrong though. Only some testing will show you.

If you have not done a lot of polishing, this thread has a video plus a TON of info in it. Watch the video. Most of the tips and techniques I share in it are things I am the original source for but you'll find in a plethora of other videos slathered all over the Internet but for the most part, I am the OS.

Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips

Mike, thanks a ton for the comments. I would be over the moon if this was simply oxidation. I'll give it a try and report back on my results. I do have a porter cable DA, but haven't used it in a couple years, so I'll be sure to review the tips. And thanks for the optimum suggestion, I now recall seeing you recommend that in my researching, but must've forgotten to bookmark it. Thanks again!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Also just to comment....

Sorry one more question. Since this car has probably never seen any wax, would you feel comfortable just using the optimum wax on top of the polish, with no sealant? I plan to apply it by hand, as I noticed you said you weren't a fan of using it with a machine.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi all,

Long time lurker and I attended Mike's class at the Rupes facility in CO. He's helped me a ton behind the scenes on a difficult project and I'm hoping to contribute to this conversation!

Did it look like that before you took it to the body shop? You said it had the driver's side repainted recently and that set off a big red flag for me.

I recently had a front driver's side fender painted and there was overspray on almost every panel - even on the passenger side! I've had good luck removing it with the clay substitutes such as the Nanoskin Autoscrub clay towel. I've followed it up with 105 or 205, and the Blackfire AIO to remove swirls and marring from the clay. I could have just used the BF AIO, but had purchased the 105 and 205 that I wanted to try! The BF AIO is much nicer to work with and won't dust like the 105/205.

There are a few posts here by Mike (that I can't find at the moment) where he says that body shops are the worst places for picking up overspray. He's right - again!

I'm not certain it's overspray, but mine looked similar in places so I wanted to chime in.

Good luck!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Broneida View Post
    Hi all,

Long time lurker and I attended Mike's class at the Rupes facility in CO. He's helped me a ton behind the scenes on a difficult project and I'm hoping to contribute to this conversation!

Did it look like that before you took it to the body shop? You said it had the driver's side repainted recently and that set off a big red flag for me.

I recently had a front driver's side fender painted and there was overspray on almost every panel - even on the passenger side! I've had good luck removing it with the clay substitutes such as the Nanoskin Autoscrub clay towel. I've followed it up with 105 or 205, and the Blackfire AIO to remove swirls and marring from the clay. I could have just used the BF AIO, but had purchased the 105 and 205 that I wanted to try! The BF AIO is much nicer to work with and won't dust like the 105/205.

There are a few posts here by Mike (that I can't find at the moment) where he says that body shops are the worst places for picking up overspray. He's right - again!

I'm not certain it's overspray, but mine looked similar in places so I wanted to chime in.

Good luck!
    Hmm you know what, I hadn't noticed this before I picked it up from the body shop. Could over spray look like this? I'll have to run my hand over this to see if I can feel it. Either way, I'll continue with my plan since it needs to be done to the car anyways. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast