autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Question about the Flex 3403

Hi Mike,

A while ago you mentioned in a previous thread that you would see about asking the Flex reps about why they are still making the 3403 rotary since the PE14-2 is the best machine for polishing paint. Did you ever get a chance to ask them ? I'm will be buying a pe14-2 after I get a few more bucks saved up.

My understanding is you personally use the pe14 and (I think) other big boys like Makita or Dewalt rotaries for big boat jobs or your boat classes. I still can't figure out the market niche for the 3403 since the PE14-2 surpasses it for paint correction and why they're still producing it. I know you've produced some videos on the 3403 but I don't remember any mention of the pe14 in those videos, so maybe those are older productions or I'm remembering incorrectly.

If you already answered this question previously my apoloiges because I couldn't find that thread you responded to me about the 3403.

VR,
    David

2. Likes 215Detailing liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Question about the Flex 3403

Great question!

Sorry for the delay in my answer, AG was closed for the New Year holiday and everyone is just returnint to work today.

I'm teaching like 9 or 10 classes at Mobile Tech Expo next week and for 2-3 of them, both Bob Eichelberg and Chris Metcalf, both from FLEX North America, will be participating with me in these classes. I'll ask them what the reasoning is for both polishers.

That said, I'll take a guess...

The 3403 is priced at $300.00 and has an RPM range of 1100 to 3700 - I believe it's used in other industries besides automotive detailing. If we're carrying it, then it's probably because it's a good mover. So somewhere out there people want and/or like this polisher, thus we carry it as it rotates off the shelf. Any videos or articles I've written bout the 3403 would have been written before the PE14 was introduced. Once the PE14 was introduced I found the RPM range it offered to be more specific to buffing on cars and boats than the higher RPM range 3403 thus the reason I choose and use it.

Here's the links to both polishers on the AG store - the prices I've included below are current as of the time and date I'm typing this reply and everyone reading this into the FUTURE should note that PRICES FLUCTUATE so do your research before pulling your wallet out and make sure your budget works for whatever the current prices is when you make the decision to buy. I have articles on this forum that date back to 2009 when I came to Autogeek, many have tens of thousands of views, so I ALWASY type for the future... never the present.

FLEX L3403 VRG Lightweight Rotary Polisher $299.99

FLEX PE14-2-150 Rotary Polisher $419.99

Here's my take...

If you're going to use a rotary polisher for buffing out car paint, then you want the FLEX PE14. It's a super high quality built tool with lots of features built-in. It's tough. I don't normally buff clearcoats over the 3 setting and am usually on the 1-2 setting.

Unlike what you may read in the Interwebs or on Facebook, you're NOT supposed to get clearcoats hot. I cover this in my how-to book, The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine on page 124

So having a rotary polisher that offers low RPM is important. The DeWALT, Makita and RUPES rotary polishers all offer low RPM with RUPES going down to 450 RPM. Besides low RPM I want, (don't know what you want), a lightweight, compact quiet rotary buffer. This becomes REAL important when you're going to buff vertical sides for hours as you're going to be both holding the rotary buffer UP and pushing it FORWARD.

I show how to use the rotary in my car detailing classes and of course my boat detailing classes. The below is not so much for you but for all the other people that will click this thread and read it into the future and may not know about our classes.

We only teach the boat class once a year.

2019 HANDS-ON Boat Detailing Class - February 9th and 10th

And I always have HORRIBLE condition boats to learn and train on....

The big 3-day class we only teach 3 times a year with the first one coming up in a couple of weeks.

Class Schedule for 2019 - 3 Day Classes at Autogeek

And I always have cool cars to learn and train on....

Training Cars for January 3-Day Bootcamp Class at Autogeek in Stuart, Florida 2018

I'll do my best to remember to re-visit this thread with the info I get from Bob and Chris after MTE - that would be me back in the office on Monday, January 14th

Hope the above helps....

4. Likes 215Detailing liked this post
    Mike Phillips

More....

Here's a brand new article I wrote with some related info....

Destructive Polishing - Don't get clearcoats hot! by Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks very much Mike. Again !