autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Extreme auto washing myths

Mike,
    I read a lot of threads on the various Corvette forums about detailing and I am seeing more and more talk about methods that just make me cringe. Use of pressure washers, dish detergents, even one Corvette owner who encourages using a mix of bleach, laundry detergent and fabric softener as their car wash of choice. How do the experts feel about these wash methods? May I quote your responses?

I learned to detail from you many years ago at a Corvette meeting in Albany, Oregon and still watch your videos to learn new techniques. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Extreme auto washing myths

nothing wrong with using a pressure washer, you really don't need anything more than 2000 PSI for use with washing cars. to determine how close to get to the paint, with the appropriate tip attached on the end of the wand (most use the white) hold it with one hand and slowly bring in your other hand before it starts to feel uncomfortable and that's how close you should hold it away from the paint. use a quality car wash (there are many of them) and leave the home cleaning chemicals you have listed to there dedicated tasks. it's best to not play chemist and use chemicals off label. you can't blame anyone except yourself if there are any adverse effects to the vehicle. better safe than sorry...

3. Likes PaulMys, Farmallluvr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duckvett View Post
    even one Corvette owner who encourages using a mix of bleach, laundry detergent and fabric softener as their car wash of choice. How do the experts feel about these wash methods? May I quote your responses?

Mixing chlorine with other chemicals is not only stupid, but potentially deadly.

I don't think I'd take much (any) detailing advice from that forum.......
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

I know a girl who had her car "detailed" by a guy because she didn't like my price.
    It was an early 80's Cadillac Seville and he washed it with Pine Sol out in the sun and ruined the paint,glass,chrome and vinyl top,,she came to me crying up a storm but I didn't want to get involved after that fiasco.

I have used liquid Tide on cars that have sat under trees for an extended period of time to remove the black nasty stuff but I always follow it up with a wash designed for cars right away.
    “I have trouble with names and faces, but I never forget a car.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Farmallluvr View Post
    and he washed it with Pine Sol out in the sun...

Wow. What in the hell goes through some people's minds?
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

I never did buy into the auto-washing myth
    that intones: ‘In order to prevent damaging
    a pair of Jorts...it’s considered a “Best Practice”
    to never, ever put Rolex watches and gold chains
    into their pockets while in the performance of
    auto-washing.’

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by duckvett View Post
    Mike,
    I read a lot of threads on the various Corvette forums about detailing and I am seeing more and more talk about methods that just make me cringe. Use of pressure washers, dish detergents, even one Corvette owner who encourages using a mix of bleach, laundry detergent and fabric softener as their car wash of choice. How do the experts feel about these wash methods? May I quote your responses?

I learned to detail from you many years ago at a Corvette meeting in Albany, Oregon and still watch your videos to learn new techniques. Thank you.
    I remember you. Didn’t I buff out your green Corvette?

And didn’t I walk you through the process of restoring the original paint on a barn-find 1954 Corvette?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Mixing chlorine with other chemicals is not only stupid, but potentially deadly.

I don't think I'd take much (any) detailing advice from that forum.......
    It’s a troll, the world isn’t that brain dead. Especially if they own a vette and can use a phone.

Stupid, sure possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I remember you. Didn’t I buff out your green Corvette?

And didn’t I walk you through the process of restoring the original paint on a barn-find 1954 Corvette?

You have a very good memory! Yes, I have been detailing my own cars since those days and really enjoy it. The very rough `54 turned out great using your methods.

Post Thanks / Like

Duckvette, I think if you apply the knowledge learned from Mike, read his book "Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine," and watch his countless videos, your Corvette will always look "Competition Ready."

I belong to a number of other forums, specifically Mustangs EcoBoost forums, and I always introduce myself as a detailer and try to answer detailing questions. If folks are open to receive information, they will welcome you. If they're not open to knowledge and learning, your responses may fall on deaf ears.

If someone is stuck in their ways and it works for them... you can present the info and that's all you can do.

When I was a kid, I once had a neighbor that had a 64 Galaxy and 64 T-Bird. Both were blue I think at one time..... I asked him how they became flat black and he said, he always washes them (single stage paint) with Kerosene. He said, "now they are clean and I don't have to worry about the blue paint getting dirty anymore." LOL!

To each is own.

12. Likes VitreousHumor liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast