autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Questions before purchase - swirl / scratch removal

So I've read alot of the articles and watched the videos and have a pretty believe I'm starting to get a pretty good understanding on how to get started, but wanted your guys feedback before making my purchases.

I have 2 vehicles to work on:

2017 black Ford f150 that has some pretty significant swirling holograms and numerous scratches. These were all hidden pretty well when I bought it, but after a couple washes it looks whatever was used to conceal has washed off.

2018 black Acura MDX swirling from what I can assume is when the dealership readied it for delivery. This is obviously much more minor then the F150 and only noticible upon close inspection.

Purchase plan was to get the Griot DA package with the three pads and Wolfgang swirl remover combo. The kit comes with the orange white and black pad.

Additionally I was looking at purchasing another 10-12 pads (not sure yet on which ones and could use your thoughts) as well as a sealent for after I apply the glaze portion of the Wolfgang kit.

I think for the f150 an orange pad with the Wolfgang should do the trick, but that same combo might be to abrasive for the acura. I'm wondering if even using the Wolfgang with a pad with less cut is still to aggressive.

Anyways looking for your thoughts and purchase opinions.

By the way great forum and the informational tutorials and tools have been awesome for a complete newbie.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Questions before purchase - swirl / scratch removal

Welcome to AGO!!

You have a great plan. The GG6 is amazing. It is all you need for maintaining your own cars. Make sure to get the 5 inch backing plate. Wolfgang products are great as well.

If I may suggest, also look into the Griot's line of Boss Creams. All of them work very, very well. Sun-friendly, almost zero dusting, and wipe off is a breeze.

As for pads, you'll get many opinions. I still love my Lake Country 5 1/2" flat pads. Great at what they do, and with proper care you'll have them for years.

Get a variety of different cutting ability, and start with the least aggressive pad/product combo for a test spot. You can adjust your approach after that.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Welcome to AGO!!

You have a great plan. The GG6 is amazing. It is all you need for maintaining your own cars. Make sure to get the 5 inch backing plate. Wolfgang products are great as well.

If I may suggest, also look into the Griot's line of Boss Creams. All of them work very, very well. Sun-friendly, almost zero dusting, and wipe off is a breeze.

As for pads, you'll get many opinions. I still love my Lake Country 5 1/2" flat pads. Great at what they do, and with proper care you'll have them for years.

Get a variety of different cutting ability, and start with the least aggressive pad/product combo for a test spot. You can adjust your approach after that.
    Okay thanks for the insight. Would you maybe recommend this kit Griots Garage Swirl Remover Kit over the Wolfgang kit then? Then I could also pick up a 5 inch backing plate and a 12 pack of the CCS lake country pads.

This is the wolfgang kit i was looking at Griot's Garage Random Orbital Wolfgang Duo

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve had some success w the Wolfgang kit on hard Mercedes paint. I like them and Sonax perfect finish. I used to use a meguiars m105 205 combo w good results but it was just too dusty for me.
    2005 Nissan 350z (Polish Angel Viking-Coat)/2020 AMG GLC43 (Polish Angel Viking-Coat and Auto Gliss 2.0)/2012 Honda Odyssey TE (Jescar Power Lock)/2020 AMG C43 (CQuartz UK3.0 and Auto Gliss 2.0)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have another question. Would the Buff and Shine low pro long throw pads work well with this pollisher even though its not a long throw polisher? Ive heard good things about these pads.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are looking for some user friendly polishes then I would recommend these two.

Sonax Cut Max for a compound
    Sonax EX 04-06 for a finishing polish

The Griot's DA will work just fine. Just get yourself a 5" backing plate and plenty of pads. The Lake Country flat pads are popular. Griot's has their line of pads as well.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    If you are looking for some user friendly polishes then I would recommend these two.

Sonax Cut Max for a compound
    Sonax EX 04-06 for a finishing polish

The Griot's DA will work just fine. Just get yourself a 5" backing plate and plenty of pads. The Lake Country flat pads are popular. Griot's has their line of pads as well.
    Thanks for all of your input. Do you think the Lake Country Flat pads would be a better choice over maybe the lake country SD Pads?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcw1sfu View Post
    Thanks for all of your input. Do you think the Lake Country Flat pads would be a better choice over maybe the lake country SD Pads?
    Your problem (as was mine) when first starting is the numerous options and opinions.

All of the opinions/suggested products from members are the ones they like and have great results with.

It is ultimately up to you to decide.

This is not to say you cannot ask more questions to the forum, we like that.

If you would like to PM me, I can give you my take.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcw1sfu View Post
    I have another question. Would the Buff and Shine low pro long throw pads work well with this pollisher even though its not a long throw polisher? Ive heard good things about these pads.
    I don’t have a GG6. I have a few of these and they are probably a little heavier than some pads so I would say no.

I think a good choice would be the BOSS pads or the LC ThinPro.

The LC Flat pads are good and a good value, and you won’t feel as bad if you destroy one or two.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Again thanks for all your help. I think I have finally decided on the following

Griot 6" polisher kit comes with:
    Griots Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polisher
    5 inch Dual-Action Hook & Loop Flexible Backing Plate
    2 qty. 5 inch Griots Garage Micro Fiber FAST Cutting Pad
    5.5 inch Griots Garage Orange Foam Correcting Pad
    6.5 inch Griots Garage Black Foam Finishing Pad
    6.5 inch Griots Garage Red Foam Waxing Pad
    2 qty. Green All Purpose Microfiber Towels, 16 x 16 inches

-Wolfgang Swirl remover
    -wolfgang finishing glaze
    -wolfgang deepgloss sealent

- 12 Lake Country Flat Pads 5.5"
    - 5 Orange
    - 5 white
    - 2 black

Im thinking this should do the trick and get me started. But let me know if you think there are changes I should make.

One more questions I have is can I use the same process on the plastic side panels between the door windows on my f150 to remove those swirls as I do for the rest of the truck or no?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast