autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Can you experienced guys help me please?

A few years ago I had an almost full bottle of Power Lock turn to thin, like water. It seemed to separate as well.

Now I don't get the opportunity to use sealants much, I have some physical limitations.

I had a 99% full bottle of UPP, purchased about 3 years ago. I went to open it today and shook it before hand. It has done the same thing as the Power Lock. It's as runny as water but I can't tell if it's separated.

Is this a common thing? I thought the first time was an anomaly but a different product a second time?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can you experienced guys help me please?

Some products can get funny or won't work that well after 2 or so years. Their lives can be shortened by temps they are stored in, I always keep all my chemicals indoors.

Out of all the products I ever bought from AG, only two went funny and turned to cottage cheese quicker than I thought they should've, Optimum GPS AIO, and Carpro Essence Plus.

And once recall a brand new 2 year old bottle of 3M Hand Glaze worked me to death when I wanted to use it, I chucked it. Thankfully it was only a 2'x2' section I had to rub like mad to get off immediately after applying, bought a new bottle and that was much better.

3. Thanks Dr.K thanked for this post
    Likes Dr.K liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

After a long period of time the cream type sealants seem to do this. I know some products if you put two or three steel bearings or a couple bolts in them and shake them good they will come back. Other than that you might try Ultima Paint Guard Plus. It's a liquid sealant that is a wipe on walk away type product. It is a very good sealant. It's liquid, if you remove the sprayer and put the regular cap back on good and tight when you're done and store at room temperature I would think it would last at least a couple years.

It would be a good idea to shake the bottle once in a while to keep the chemicals mixed. If you would have shaken the products you have once in a while I think it would have lasted longer. How long I couldn't say. You are storing these at room temperature??
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

5. Thanks Dr.K thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here’s an example of a liquid polymer sealant [which 1 it is is of no importance] that has been left outside in direct sunlight for too long. [left]
    Compared to the bottle on the right which has been kept indoors and never exposed to direct sun or extreme temperatures.

I took that pic over a month ago.^
    Since then it’s been stored indoors on my shelf. I went to check on it right now and this is what it looks like now...

I shook it. It’s Very runny now. Not sure if it still works because it’s super watery now. I can test it if you’d like?

7. Thanks Dr.K thanked for this post
    Likes Dr.K, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Product life varies, however, 2 to 3 years is GENERALLY the end of its useful life. That is my guess. But I have had a couple of products do the same thing you experienced too. My guess just buy a new bottle.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

9. Thanks Dr.K thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys! It has been stored in my temperature extreme garage. I guess that's the answer. The Power Lock was the same. I think I'll start storing it in the laundry room of the house. I appreciate the answers.

11. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just went out and tested mine, waiting for it to flash or dust, if it will. The bottle should have a storing recommendation.

Post Thanks / Like

I just ordered a new bottle. Sucks that I had to drop another $37 with only having used the first bottle once. Live and learn I guess.

14. Likes DaveT435 liked this post