autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Optimum Gloss coat lacks sheeting beading

I recently put Optimum Gloss coat on my truck then second car the following week. My truck beads rain but no were near like I have seen pics and videos of how the Optimum should perform. I washed then did Iron X decon followed by claying the entire truck. I machine polished with Optimum Finish polish then used the Optimum paint prep. I applied the gloss coat one panel at a time watched it flash over and left no high spots. The first rain storm was 2 days later and the water did bead well and roll off easily while driving but that was a month ago and the water no longer beads half as well and doesn't really fly off while driving. It is easier to wash the truck but even when rinsing it off it doesn't have a sheeting effect and the beads are not what I have seen from pics and videos. I also maintain the paint with optimum instant detailer and glossifier after I wash the truck. The second car is also about the same in terms of beading and lack of sheeting effect. I am confident I did everything correctly.

For the past 10 years I have used the Autogeek forum favorite kit. I have always done the same iron x then clay bar followed with the autogeek forum favorite kit. Klasse all in one then Klasse sealant and finally royal soveirgn carnuba wax. The Klasse and Carnubua combo beaded water far better and lasted longer then what I am seeing with the Gloss Coat. Also I don't think the gloss was really that impressive with the gloss coat. The Klasse and carnuba produced a much better gloss and rich finish. I was really not impressed by the final gloss of the Optimum. I really expected better after reading all of the reviews.

Did I do something wrong? I know the Gloss coat is applied to the paint and it is much easier to wash as any dirt falls off easily but I am not seeing the "self cleaning" effect since the water beading just sits on the paint and isn't sheeting off or blowing off while driving.

I want to redo my truck but am hesitant to try optimum again. Is it possible the gloss coat was a bad batch? Is there a better ceramic coating to try? I was thinking of the Wolfgang Uber or McKees?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optimum Gloss coat lacks sheeting beading

Interesting. Out of curiosity, what soap are you using to wash? FWIW, I like topping GC with Optiseal.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I first spray with a foam gun using chemical guys honeydew foam then use Meguiars gold class wash shampoo and conditioner in my bucket.

Post Thanks / Like

I’d bet it’s the Gold class soap. I’ve never cared for how that soap never seemed to rinse very well. If it were me I’d use Reset, Hyper Wash, or Gyeon Bathe for nothing to be left behind. I’d be willing to bet that your GC would perform as you’d expect after washing with one of these 3 soaps.

5. Likes SWETM, The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Your soap may be the problem. Any soap with glossifers like carnauba will clog up the coating and inhibit beading. Try CarPro Reset or any shampoo that leaves nothing behind and you will have better results from your coating. Their are some shampoos that contain SIO2 that help maintain some coatings. Optimum is a little different than most coatings so it’s hard to lump it in with most of the other SIO2 based coatings. Pick up some Opti-Seal and use it as a drying aid and water beading will improve.

7. Thanks Payton34 thanked for this post
    Likes The Guz, fly07sti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ha ha, looks like fly07sti posted while I was typing!

9. Thanks Payton34 thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you think the Chemical guys honeydew foam wash is also leaving anything behind that is inhibiting the Gloss coat? It does describe that it has any additives or waxes. I do know the Meguirs is a washn wax type so I will pitch that.

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t think Honeydew will adversely effect it, but if you’re really concerned with the sheeting/beading, I’d use Reset. Hell, don’t even buy any yet. PM me and I’ll send you some Reset along with some Optiseal.

12. Thanks Payton34 thanked for this post
    Likes The Guz, rlmccarty2000, Diner, SWETM, Paul A. and 2 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Your prep is spot on so I am not doubting that.

Optimum reps have mentioned many times that Gloss Coat can get wet with rain 1 hour after application. But not to wash for a week.

I am in agreement with switching up your wash. I have experienced the masking effect caused by Gold Class when rinsing it off. CarPro Reset is a good wash to have for coated vehicles. Using it every few washes really does help. I would add another soap to have such Meguiar's Hyper Wash which you will find foams up nicely in a foam cannon. Optimum Car Wash is pretty good.

You may want to pick up hyper seal which is part of the Optimum coating maintenance line. It has an SiO2 component in it. I was not a fan of opti-seal over Gloss Coat and stopped using it after a few times.

14. Thanks Payton34 thanked for this post
    Likes rlmccarty2000, SWETM liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine didn't get rain for 2 days after applying. The first rain it seemed to perform well so it must be the soap because I washed it 1 week later and ever since the performance has lacked. I still have half bottle of optimum paint prep. Do you think this work to remove all waxes or glossifies left on the paint without removing the Gloss coat? I will also be getting some reset.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast