autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Engine Degreaser

Although it is not my first time cleaning an engine I want to do it right from here on out. I just picked up a 2000 Forester w/69k miles that probably has never been cleaned under the hood. I don't want to use any cleaners that will pit the metal/aluminum and brass coated pieces under the hood. What product is safe that won't etch any of the metals found under the hood?

Thank You!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Engine Degreaser

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrayAero View Post
    Although it is not my first time cleaning an engine I want to do it right from here on out. I just picked up a 2000 Forester w/69k miles that probably has never been cleaned under the hood. I don't want to use any cleaners that will pit the metal/aluminum and brass coated pieces under the hood. What product is safe that won't etch any of the metals found under the hood?

Thank You!
    While not a degreaser, I use Wolfgang Total Engine Cleaner and it is my go-to: Wolfgang Total Engine Cleaner

BEFORE:

After:

For really bad engine bay's I'll use McKee's Engine Degreaser. After the bay is clean you will have to go over everything and trim-detail the engine & bay.

Before:

After:

This is a great article by Nick@Mckee's which explains his process, which I use as well, to include the products he uses:

How To: Detail Your Engine Like a Professional

Hope this helps!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LSNAutoDetailing View Post
    While not a degreaser, I use Wolfgang Total Engine Cleaner and it is my go-to: Wolfgang Total Engine Cleaner

BEFORE:

After:

For really bad engine bay's I'll use McKee's Engine Degreaser. After the bay is clean you will have to go over everything and trim-detail the engine & bay.

Before:

After:

This is a great article by Nick@Mckee's which explains his process, which I use as well, to include the products he uses:

Hope this helps!

I already saw that but I was hoping someone would point out a product that is FOR SURE WON'T etch bare metals/aluminum found under the hood. Is the McGees 37 one of those products that won't harm?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrayAero View Post
    I already saw that but I was hoping someone would point out a product that is FOR SURE WON'T etch bare metals/aluminum found under the hood. Is the McGees 37 one of those products that won't harm?
    Wolfgang Total Engine Cleaner will not etch or leave spots. McKee's will not etch anything however, it will leave a white streaking or spots that you will have to detail the engine bay after you're done. So the "FOR SURE WON"T" product would be WGTEC.

The Mercedes S-550 engine above was cleaned with McKee's Engine degree, then trim-detailed with McKee's Trim-Detailer and Pinnacle Crystal Mist Detail Spray.

Post Thanks / Like

Sonax engine cleaner is a safe cleaner. Look at the video with Mike Phillips and the Sonax rep. And you will be safe and good. Was interested in the Sonax Plastic Care too when watched the video. It's a fire and forget plastic and rubber dressing like meguiars hyper dressing.

SONAX Engine Cleaner

SONAX Plastic Care

6. Likes LSNAutoDetailing liked this post
    Mike Phillips

FWIW

I'm showing the SONAX Engine Cleaner at my class this weekend.

Before I go home I'm going to make a video as I walk around the garage showing SO MUCH STUFF being staged for the 3-day class and post it to my FB page here,

Mike Phillips - Home | Facebook

And... I'm not done!

I'll make a second video at the end of the day tomorrow showing EVERYTHING plus all the cars will be here.

8. Thanks SWETM thanked for this post
    Likes LSNAutoDetailing, SWETM liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    FWIW

I'm showing the SONAX Engine Cleaner at my class this weekend.

Before I go home I'm going to make a video as I walk around the garage showing SO MUCH STUFF being staged for the 3-day class and post it to my FB page here,

Mike Phillips - Home | Facebook

And... I'm not done!

I'll make a second video at the end of the day tomorrow showing EVERYTHING plus all the cars will be here.

How did the SONAX fair? I'm still looking for a reliable non etching engine cleaner.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

How did the Sonax Engine Cleaner test out?

Post Thanks / Like

2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Gunk has a variety of products
    that will safely take care of any
    type of engine funk.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast