autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New Car Polish & Wax

I've been reading these forums for a long time and decided it's time to join in.

Just purchased a 2018 Chevy Tahoe (Black) and looking for some help with selecting a DA polisher, the best pads and backing plate, and the compatibility with the polish and wax products I have been using.

For my previous vehicles I have been happy with the results using the Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit followed up with Ultimate Polish and Ultimate Liquid Wax, both applied by hand.

I think I've read Mike's post about "what you need to get into machine polishing" atleast 5 times.

I'm pretty sure the Griot's Garage 6" DA Polisher is the one I'm gonna pick, but I also like the MT300?

The next question is what's the best pad (manufacturer and color) to use on my vehicle that has very few imperfections, I'm thinking something like a finishing pad for the polish and the wax, and should I use Meguiar's pads because I'm using their polish and wax?

Then the next question would be do I need the backing plate and pad to come from the same manufacturer, and I'm thinking a 5" backing plate?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Car Polish & Wax

The products you have on hand are good products. You can continue using those and just invest in the polisher. Either of those polishers will work and give good results.

The Meguiar's thing pads are nice pads to work with. There are quite a few pad options that will get the job done. A 5" backing plate would be a good choice for either tool.

3. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Try Polish Angel Escalate Lotion and a finishing pad. This works fantastic on new cars with minor defects. It contains very mild abrasives.

Post Thanks / Like

This would be a great starter kit:

Griot's Garage 5.5 inch FLAT Pad Complete Kit
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

I have a PC and use a mix of white polishing, orange correcting and a couple black CCS pads, and recently started switching to LC thin pros. In total, I now have about 20 pads. That's a lot of real estate to cover, I own a crew cab F-150 and a ford explorer so I can relate. Whatever route you go, buy as many as you can afford. Less time spent cleaning, and clean pads are happy and more effective.

I'd also suggest taking a look at an All-In-One (AIO) for the same reason: Time. There are a number of them that members of the forum like and are discussed at length. I like McKee's 360, many here like HD Speed, and the new Blackfire AIO also looks pretty good amongst the group. If it's in good shape, do the clay, get light correction and protection done at the same time, and enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies and suggestions everyone, I'm gonna check out these pads and products next!

If I decide to use the Meguiar's pads do I need Meguiar's backing plate, and if I use Lake Country pads do I need a Lake Country Backing Plate, or will the Griot's Backing Plate be compatible with those pads?