autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Smelly interior

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Smelly interior

I stored my Porsche this winter with dryer softener sheets inside to keep away mice and other rodents.

The interior now smells like rotten dryer sheets.

What can I use to clean to eliminate the stink?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Smelly interior

I never knew dryer sheets had a life span and stunk. I am a total believer in ozone generators. After a good cleaning/wipedown, use the OG for an hour. You'll be amazed.

Post Thanks / Like

+1 for ozone. I get a lot of calls from Uber and Lyft drivers for bio cleanups in back seats, with some interesting smells. I use some enzymatic cleaners and a good dose of Odoban followed with 30-45 minutes of ozone, directed at the affected area....happy customers every time with no call backs !! (I ask them to call if odor returns, none yet!)

Mike

p.s. ......just picked up the new Lemon-Lime AiRefresh from Megs......AMAZING smell. Use it in the kitchen too!

Post Thanks / Like

Rotten dryer sheets? I'm thinking this isn't your problem. I use these under my seat, & replace every 2 months or so.

Also, I just grabbed some summer clothes from a bottom drawer of mine that hadn't been used since late September when they were washed and put there. Found two dryer sheets among them. Still had a feint scent they were made with.

Pretty sure they don't "rot"
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

I use dryer sheets every winter (upstate NY so we have about 6+ months of winter) and for the last 5 years I've never had a dryer sheet "rot". Did they get wet or something? Even then I can't see them rotting and smelling bad.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

Dryer sheets are typically made from polyester, a synthetic fiber, which is not easily attacked or digested by bacteria or fungus (rot).

chances are it's not rotten dryer sheets, but rather rodent smells because the dryer sheets didn't work to keep them out.

like other replies have said, an ozone generator should take care of it. If no access to that, then you could try one of the 15 minute foggers by Meguiars. Most auto parts stores carry them.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried the 2x185 method or does that only work for Maserati's?

Ozone should do the trick, or Carpro so2 Pure.
    If there is an "in-cabin" filter you should consider changing that as well. Usually hidden well up into the glove box.

I store my vehicles, however our mouse issue was in the insulation of the house not the vehicle. Around the vehicle (outside) there were packets of poison smothered in lard. I saw evidence in other parts of the property where the packets were attacked pretty good, but not the ones around the vehicle.

You might try to do the preventative methods outside the vehicle rather than inside. If their inside, it's too late.