autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Will Black Label Surface Cleansing Polish remove POWERLOCK sealant by hand? Ref: Mike Philips Youtube video

Hello all,

I am a bit confused after watching Mike Philips video on youtube where they coat a Blue Charger with PBL v2 paint coating. Prior to coating they use the Surface Cleansing Polish to wipe of oils etc. BY HAND.

Pinnacle Black Label Surface Cleansing Polish

My question is this- I have recently applied menzerna powerlock on my car and want to try this coating. Will applying the surface cleansing polish BY HAND with the yellow foam applicators be enough to remove the powerlock? I do not want any correction as the car was just polished 3 weeks ago.

I doubt I can do the whole car in one day because its quite hot out and my garage isnt closed completely. I will probably rinseless a couple panels, use surface cleansing polish, coat. Then probably repeat the same process on different panels the next day. IS this a good plan of action? This ofcourse after I get confirmation that the Surface Cleansing Polish can remove old sealant by hand application. If it requires machine, then ill probably wait till winter.

Q2 - I have a full bottle of Pinnacle Paint Cleansing Lotion - from the description it does the same job as the PBL surface cleansing polish but has fillers and smooths out the edges of swirls? How can it clean old wax (paint cleaner) but contain fillers? So its a glaze like product? Anyways...what I would like to know is can this be used in place of the PBL Surface Cleansing Polish (saving me $30 + shipping to UAE).

TIA

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Will Black Label Surface Cleansing Polish remove POWERLOCK sealant by hand? Ref: Mike Philips Youtube video

before doing any coating, there will be an assumption made that during the wash process you're going to use Iron-X, then Clay (or nano-skin) and then do some form of paint correction, i.e. polish or compound & polish? All of which will remove the coating..

Black Label Surface prep is to remove any oils left by the polish, and must be done by hand with a MF Applicator. It's easy on - easy off...

I would stick to the instructions of the BL Coating process...

Cleansing lotion is essentially to just clean the wax in lieu of not using a combined cleaning/wax/polish... I.E, you're paint is in good shape, you're not doing correction and you just want to do a wash & wax (a wax with NO cleaners), no clay, no iron-x... You would wash, use Paint Cleansing Lotion and then wax...

IMO, I do not like Paint Cleansing lotion...

hope this helps..

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Will Black Label Surface Cleansing Polish remove POWERLOCK sealant by hand? Ref: Mike Philips Youtube video

Damn, thats what I was afraid of. It sounded to good to be true lol.

I guess I shall wait till winter, use an ultra fine polish, followed by surface cleansing polish and then coat. i just completely polished the car with meguairs UP and sealed it with Powerlock 3 weeks ago.

Thank Paul.

Post Thanks / Like

you can use PBL polish and it will remove power lock, its designed to remove lip's and oils and such. If you've already decond'd and polished, it should strip what you have on and be good to go. I'd try to do it by machine though, the pads will help remove the sealant too!
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cleanmycorolla View Post
    you can use PBL polish and it will remove power lock, its designed to remove lip's and oils and such. If you've already decond'd and polished, it should strip what you have on and be good to go. I'd try to do it by machine though, the pads will help remove the sealant too!
    Yeah I had a talk with one of the AGO people today. He recommended the same thing. Used by machine, the PBL polish will remove old wax, much like a paint cleaner.

It could by hand, but it will be tough and cumbersome.

I'll prob wait a while and do it when its cooler (end october). It's a nice and cool.... 108... today in Dubai

Post Thanks / Like

I had awful results by machine, despite it stating it can be used by machine.
    I called my buddy, Mediscott (Scott) with Docshine stated, only to use MF applicators.
    You can always give it a try by machine... but it doesn't respond well to heat.

1. Shake well.
    2. Ensure surface is cool to the touch.
    3. For hand application, use a microfiber applicator pad.
    4. For machine application, use a foam polishing or finishing pad.
    5. Work the product into the surface and remove residue with a soft microfiber towel.
    6. Apply appropriate Black Label Diamond coating to surface.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paul_g View Post
    I had awful results by machine, despite it stating it can be used by machine.
    I called my buddy, Mediscott (Scott) with Docshine stated, only to use MF applicators.
    You can always give it a try by machine... but it doesn't respond well to heat.

1. Shake well.
    2. Ensure surface is cool to the touch.
    3. For hand application, use a microfiber applicator pad.
    4. For machine application, use a foam polishing or finishing pad.
    5. Work the product into the surface and remove residue with a soft microfiber towel.
    6. Apply appropriate Black Label Diamond coating to surface.
    Oh damn, did you have awful results with the PBL surface cleansing polish or the Pinnacle paint cleansing lotion? I personally didnt like the paint cleansing lotion, even when used by hand.

Im just confused with the conflicting replies lol. Hand wont be enough to remove Powerlock properly apparently, but machine might not respond well to heat.I give up haha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emmjaygti View Post
    Oh damn, did you have awful results with the PBL surface cleansing polish or the Pinnacle paint cleansing lotion? I personally didnt like the paint cleansing lotion, even when used by hand.

Im just confused with the conflicting replies lol. Hand wont be enough to remove Powerlock properly apparently, but machine might not respond well to heat.I give up haha
    for what its worth, i have used both pinnacle paint cleaners by hand and machine and they've removed previous lsp's no issue!
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cleanmycorolla View Post
    for what its worth, i have used both pinnacle paint cleaners by hand and machine and they've removed previous lsp's no issue!
    Alright that puts my mind at ease a bit. Will take the machine route (flex with black hybrids) once it cools down

As you have used both - The paint cleansing lotion has fillers, while the surface..polish has none am I right?

Post Thanks / Like

I used PBL cleaning polish with a polishing pad to clean the paint and remove any remnants of the previous LSP that was on the car for 8 months. It worked fine. PBL V2 has been on this particular car for a 7 months with no issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast