PDA

View Full Version : How long do you guys work in your polishes?

Pages : [1] 2

Thejoyofdriving
08-31-2007, 05:55 PM
Usually when I polish I work in the polish/compound for about 1min with a DA. Anything more than 1min feels like way to long. But I hear that a lot of people work polishes in for 2-5min. I actually use a stopwatch, so I know how long I am working my polishes in for. i am thinking maybe some people that say that they work in their polishes for 2-5mins dont use a stopwatch. Now of course it matters what polish, some break down faster than others. I have always worked in polishes/compounds for about 1min, and I have never had any problems, the paint is haze free and clear, but I am thinking maybe I am not getting the amount of gloss I would be getting if I worked in my polishes longer? Advice/thoughts?

ScottB
08-31-2007, 06:27 PM
until they flash from a liquid paste to a cloudy powder type product that is more translucent. 2-3 minutes per area on average, and I always polish in garage under lots of flourescent lighting.

Al-53
08-31-2007, 06:35 PM
working in polishes has its rewards....the time also depends on the pads...

the polishes have abrasives..that when broken down fully turn into a ultra fine abrasive and then used as a finishing gloss material....if not fully broken down your missing the final step of the polish....the gloss enhancing stage....it will cut firat..as its worked it breaks down resulting in a ultra fine material...resulting in the jeweling as they say...

Al

Nica
08-31-2007, 06:53 PM
I agree, working products for a bit more gives it that extra kick to the finish. Actually here is what I've noticed. Not sure if it's just me but if you look closely and I mean really closely, as you polish and just look at the surface as the polish breaks down you will see the surface flas over with the gloss. I've seen this a few times now and when I first satrted seeing this I thought it was odd but apperently this is normal.

supercharged
08-31-2007, 09:04 PM
3-5 minutes per section for me.

klumzypinoy
08-31-2007, 09:21 PM
I feel like XMT 1 and XMT 3 break down fast. I use speed 6 on the UDM. Then again, I need good lighting, but with the small garage lights that I have, the polishes turn translucent pretty fast.

Pauly6401
08-31-2007, 09:42 PM
I also noticed that the XMT break down fairly quickly. I'm still experimenting with the amount to use, as well.

Thejoyofdriving
09-01-2007, 03:29 AM
3-5 minutes per section for me. Are you just guessing or do you use a stop watch?

TOGWT
09-01-2007, 04:14 AM
Are you just guessing or do you use a stop watch?

JOD - I know you are just trying (and sometimes you are very trying) but you have the ability to ask the most illogical questions.

The contributors to this thread have said (rightly) that the polish 'flashes' (becomes translucent) when it brokendown. This is not something that can be timed with a stopwatch, as polishes will vary dependant upon what solvent / oils are used in there formulation as will the friction heat applied and the ambient temperature.

I know you will not listen to advice, but on the off chance- read, read some more and learn before making contributions to threads. Ask questions, thats how we all learn, but when given an answer by an experienced detailer don't argue unless you have facts to back up that he is misinformed, because it don't 'fit' with your limited experience dosn't make it incorrect

:cheers:

klumzypinoy
09-01-2007, 02:13 PM
I also noticed that the XMT break down fairly quickly. I'm still experimenting with the amount to use, as well.

Ok I am not alone :) I try not to use too much as well...the most I put is a quarter size amount.

Thejoyofdriving
09-01-2007, 04:06 PM
polish 'flashes' (becomes translucent) when it brokendown.
Most polishes I have tried become translucent in 30 seconds. I really matters on how much polish you put on the pad, the less you put the quicker it will turn clear. The reason I ask if people actually use stop watches is because before I used a stop watch I though I was working in the polish for 3mins. Once I actually decided to time how long I was working in the polish I discovered I was only working it in for 1min, and mind you I have a very good internal clock, for some reason I was not properly keeping time when polishing. That said I have a suspicion that if some people actually timed them selfs when they were polishing that they would discover that they are working in the polish much shorter than they thought. I don't see why you call my questions "illogical", I consider myself a very logical person and I many people that actually know me would agree. Explain what is illogical about my questions?

ASPHALT ROCKET
09-01-2007, 06:50 PM
Then maybe you ought to talk with them about detailing, because I think you will find few people on this forum to agree with you being logical.

Thejoyofdriving
09-02-2007, 01:53 AM
Then maybe you ought to talk with them about detailing, because I think you will find few people on this forum to agree with you being logical.

Please, entertain me, show me how I am illogical.

Z06-Goose
09-02-2007, 02:56 AM
until they flash from a liquid paste to a cloudy powder type product that is more translucent. 2-3 minutes per area on average, and I always polish in garage under lots of flourescent lighting.I pretty much use this same technique. I'm used to work with Menzerna Polishes that I take what it gives me, and that is looong working time...

pricha00
09-02-2007, 08:07 AM
Well if I am using Optimum compound and polish which supposedly has a really long working time should I be working it until I see some dusting because I have never seen any dusting at all even after a couple of minutes on 5 or 6 with the UDM. I am not getting the swirl removal results that I was hoping for with the compound on an orange medium cut pad. Is this not aggressive enough for minor spider webbing marks on a 1 yr old vehicle? Yes its BLACK!!!!!!

Thanks, Pat.