PDA

View Full Version : How long do you guys work in your polishes?

Pages : 1 [2]

Thejoyofdriving
09-03-2007, 12:26 AM
I dont know, I can get a polish to flash over in just 1 min. I just did it last night.

Pauly6401
09-04-2007, 06:14 PM
Ok I am not alone :) I try not to use too much as well...the most I put is a quarter size amount.

I've also noticed that XMT 1-4 spread a lot more over a given area than XMT 360 (when you start using that) and have a more creamy (?) consistency. I also limit myself to a quarter sized amount or less, which seems to be a good amount.

slo-ryd
09-16-2007, 07:49 AM
My XMT 3 seemed to break down a dust slightly within 1-1.5 minutes....

Mr Dream Machines
09-18-2007, 12:48 AM
Most of my polishes are finished once I've done 15 to 30 passes
I've begun adding 10 ml of glycerine to 100ml of polish that does not have the working time that I like, such as Dinitrol 7020
The polish then spreads beautifully

CalgaryDetail
09-18-2007, 01:57 AM
Well if I am using Optimum compound and polish which supposedly has a really long working time should I be working it until I see some dusting because I have never seen any dusting at all even after a couple of minutes on 5 or 6 with the UDM. I am not getting the swirl removal results that I was hoping for with the compound on an orange medium cut pad. Is this not aggressive enough for minor spider webbing marks on a 1 yr old vehicle? Yes its BLACK!!!!!!

Thanks, Pat.

It has been my personal experince that optimum has a very quick flash time. It is a very quick polsih (for lack of a better term).
Also optimum is very low dusting. Trust me;) I used some megs stuff the other day and it looked like my car was covered in snow :righton:.

As for the swirls.. i dont know, since im not there. however dependingon the pad (mediam cutting is a little diffrent with each co.) you might need to use a polishing or finshing pad as the more agresive pads may help to a point then become more of a hinderence.
Cutting pads are ment to cut and will do that.

Like i said this is just a guees. I cant say forsure since im not there.. but its my best edumacated gueess.

THENIZZZEIL
09-18-2007, 02:09 AM
i used my po106 on my sis black x5 and i noticed it dusted a bit...i had to work it in quite longer than my ssr stuff but it could be jus me and the fact the car was prettty trashed...i used 6 on my PC for the most part...

intesting question i want to ask you guys...lets say im workin on a car and i start on the left fender and work my way counter clockwise at speed 6 for the most part...halfway around the car im freakin tired as hell and my hands feel like their gonna fall off...do i jus wait a few minutes before i start again or can i bring the pc down to 4 & 5 and jjust work it in longer on the other half...or is 6 optimum all-time - - - thanks

Old Pirate
09-18-2007, 03:58 PM
When your hands feel like that then just take a break.:cheers:

trhland
09-18-2007, 04:01 PM
When your hands feel like that then just take a break.:cheers:
i worked menzerna nano polish today for opprox 3 min per panel and that was enough

gohandbz8
09-19-2007, 12:39 PM
When using the Menzerna IP or Nano, I usually work it in for about 3-4 mins. I have timed myself with a stopwatch and its usually in the mid to low 3 mins. That was using the PC, and I just picked up the UDM so I'm guessing my time will be a little quicker.

tC_Crazy
09-21-2007, 06:17 PM
Gohandbz8, how much pressure do you tend to use with IP? It seems that there's a lot of variance in that department and it could affect break-down times.

Thanks

Pauly6401
09-21-2007, 06:30 PM
intesting question i want to ask you guys...lets say im workin on a car and i start on the left fender and work my way counter clockwise at speed 6 for the most part...halfway around the car im freakin tired as hell and my hands feel like their gonna fall off...do i jus wait a few minutes before i start again or can i bring the pc down to 4 & 5 and jjust work it in longer on the other half...or is 6 optimum all-time - - - thanks

I've actually noticed that you don't always get as good of a correction if you bump the speed down depending on the polish. Working longer with XMT 360 at speed 5 took about 4 times as long as on speed 6, AND it didn't remove nearly as many swirls on the lower setting. Experiment!

ZoranC
09-21-2007, 06:48 PM
If your hands feel like that answer is c) neither. You get different machine that will not tire your hands.