PDA

View Full Version : Will this regimen strip wax/sealant?

Pages : [1] 2

yellowz03
01-01-2015, 11:38 AM
Whats up guys, and Happy New Year to ya! I have one of my cars in the garage for the winter and can't wash outside, as its freezing out and the cars removable hardtop leaks water anyway. I always wash it with ONR during the year as its just a weekend car and doesn't see much dirt. Anyway, I want to strip the current sealant off (BFWD) and apply new. I don't need to polish the car though and would like to save some time by not doing so. Will this regimen strip away the old sealant and leave me with a clean slate to apply new?

1. Wash with ONR
2. Do an IPA Wipedown (91%) or Griots Paint Prep
3. Clay car
4. Quick wipedown with ONR again
5. Griots Pre-Wax Cleanser

Can I omit anything here? Add an APC to the ONR wash instead? Trying to find a sure fire way to remove the sealant while being somewhat efficient. I'm worried I might mar the car while claying and end up having to polish anyway :(

Sorry for the long post. Usually I just use CG Citrus Wash to aid in stripping. Thanks in advance, you guys are the best!

ski2
01-01-2015, 11:48 AM
It has been shown that IPA, APC, Citrus Wash etc will not remove a durable sealant like BFWD and I doubt the Griots PreWax cleaner will remove it as it's designed to remove polishing oils I think.

Take a look at this thread--http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/66896-lsp-stripping.html

Best bet is a paint cleaner with no abrasives and a soft pad.

blkSRT
01-01-2015, 11:57 AM
Your claying step should take care of the wax/sealant

AutowerxDetailing
01-01-2015, 12:20 PM
Just drive through a touchless car wash. The highly alkaline pre-rinse and acid based "spot free" rinse will remove or drastically diminish pretty much any protection you have on your paint.

spazzz
01-01-2015, 12:24 PM
I used the Griots paint prep last year. I washed the car then misted it with the paint prep. I used my hand in a latex glove to massage it lightly then rinsed. It appeared to rid the wax.

Just to note I tested it first on an old headlight assembly and it melted the plastic. Needless to say, I worked quick when I used it on the car.

Zubair
01-01-2015, 12:35 PM
Wash,clay and an AIO will remove any sealant.

Kamakaz1961
01-01-2015, 12:35 PM
Your claying step should take care of the wax/sealant

:iagree:I also think you do not need to re-wash the car again as you are wiping off the lube with a MF towel. IMO that will save a step. If you are going to polish (assuming you need to and car is not too bad for a compound polish) that should be fine too. :xyxthumbs:

Happy New Year!

FUNX650
01-01-2015, 12:43 PM
This is what I do to "strip" LSPs:

-Wash/Dry the vehicle.

-Deciding to Clay; or not to Clay?
Perform "The Baggie Test".

-Paint inspection via "swirl-finder light".

-Then...
The guaranteed way to remove all remnants of the LSPs:
Use a Polish---one w/fine abrasives will suffice.

-Proceed with applying the new LSP by following manufacturer's recommendations/directions.

Bob

yellowz03
01-01-2015, 01:16 PM
Man, you guys are quick! haha... It looks like I'll have to use a paint cleanser if I can't get it stripped with a combo of your suggestions. Maybe even a finishing polish if I've got to bust out the DA anyway. Thanks everybody!

wdmaccord
01-01-2015, 01:28 PM
Best regimen I have found through trial and error over several details was this fall with my own car:

Touchless car wash first. Then 4 oz. CGCW Red + 4 oz. Megs APC + 24 oz. water in a foam gun on middle setting. Foam, and let sit. Then foam again with 2BM wash. Water sat flat on the paint after this. Granted my BFWD had been on for 6 months.

Claying a polishing will definitely take care of anything left over after a good stripping wash.

Kamakaz1961
01-01-2015, 02:56 PM
This is what I do to "strip" LSPs:

-Wash/Dry the vehicle.

-Deciding to Clay; or not to Clay?
Perform "The Baggie Test".

-Paint inspection via "swirl-finder light".

-Then...
The guaranteed way to remove all remnants of the LSPs:
Use a Polish---one w/fine abrasives will suffice.

-Proceed with applying the new LSP by following manufacturer's recommendations/directions.

Bob

:iagree: Baggie Test!! Dang Nab it!! I always forget that one!! As for a fine "jeweling" Polish I like Menzerna SF4500. IMO one of the best. The only problem is....BOB here may disagree and he will give his explanation why!!....LOL Happy New Year!!
Im the MAN

omarabdullah022
01-01-2015, 03:17 PM
Claying usually strips off wax or sealant layers...

FUNX650
01-01-2015, 06:26 PM
Claying usually strips off wax or sealant layers...
^^^I Disagree^^^

:iagree: Baggie Test!! Dang Nab it!! I always forget that one!! As for a fine "jeweling" Polish I like Menzerna SF4500. IMO one of the best. The only problem is....BOB here may disagree and he will give his explanation why!!....LOL Happy New Year!!
Im the MAN
I'm thinking more on the lines of Meguiar's #205 as an
example of a fine-abrasive polish to use for "stripping".

For a "Jeweling Polish":
-Menzerna 4500...Yes, it is real good.
-3M Ultrafina/Ultrafine...it's Brilliant! :D

Have a prosperous New Year. Stay healthy!

Bob

allenk4
01-01-2015, 07:11 PM
Why do you believe stripping the existing LSP is necessary?

ski2
01-01-2015, 10:13 PM
There is a simple way to test if the LSP has been removed after claying and after washing with any strong solution so that it no longer beads water--dry the paint, give it a wipe down with IPA then spray with water and in most cases the beading will return. The soaps leave behind a surfacant that causes the water to run flat giving the appearance that the LSP is gone--the IPA wipedown removes the surfacant allowing the beading characteristics of the LSP to again show through. Just try it and prove it to yourself!!!