PDA

View Full Version : Will this regimen strip wax/sealant?

Pages : 1 [2]

custmsprty
01-01-2015, 10:47 PM
This is:

BLACKFIRE Gloss Enhancing Polish, prewax polish, car polish (http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-gloss-enhancing-polish.html)

BLACKFIRE Gloss Enhancing Polish is a remarkable finishing polish with a built-in glaze for the ultimate "wet-look." It visually reduces swirl marks while creating a deep gloss. It removes old waxes and sealants and cleans the paint's surface to prep it for a shiny coat of wax or paint sealant. Used before your LSP (last step product), BLACKFIRE Gloss Enhancing Polish improves the gloss and clarity of the finish. Professionals and enthusiasts know that polishing is must for a show car shine!

Or this:

Wolfgang Pre-Wax Polish Enhancer is absolutely fabulous for producing that elusive, show-ready wet-shine look. This polish actually enhances and (http://www.autogeek.net/wg2000.html)

Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer is your last chance to create a memorable gloss before wax application. Wolfgang’s prewax cleanser removes old waxes and sealants, light oxidation, and paint contamination to reveal deep color and gloss. Once you apply a wax or paint sealant, it will enhance the smooth, clean paint created by Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer. If you want the ultimate gloss, it starts with Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer!

custmsprty
01-01-2015, 10:48 PM
I used the Blackfire GEP last weekend then the other two products shown on my wifes new car and here's the results.

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w421/custmsprty/BlackfireMS_zps7f01618b.jpg (http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/custmsprty/media/BlackfireMS_zps7f01618b.jpg.html)

Zubair
01-02-2015, 03:54 AM
Meguiars Ultimate Polish has always worked better for me over GEP. Menz SF4000 worked better than both but for the purpose of this post Ultimate Polish for sure.

omarabdullah022
01-02-2015, 04:02 AM
^^^I Disagree^^^

Bob

Okay.. whenever i washed my car after claying it, the beading was gone and the water pooled up. What about that bit... maybe my protection was already on its last breath? Any ideas?

Another option is to use Autofinnese tough prep to prep the surface for a sealant...

frankprozzoly
01-02-2015, 06:54 AM
Why do you believe stripping the existing LSP is necessary?

This is what I would ask. Also someone mentioned touchless wash strips alot of an lsp. Is that really true? I've never gone through one yet but if that's the case what's a good alternative? What about the do it yourself car washes to just rinse off the car. Does that rinse break down the lsp

FUNX650
01-02-2015, 12:14 PM
Okay.. whenever i washed my car after claying it, the beading was gone and the water pooled up. What about that bit... maybe my protection was already on its last breath? Any ideas?
Besides the product used as a clay lube, the product and process(es) used to wash the vehicle after claying has probably left a residue/film-layer that is inhibiting the water-beading phenomenon.

Another option is to use Autofinnese tough prep to prep the surface for a sealant...
You're saying that Autofinnese Tough Prep will "strip" a Sealant?

What gets me is:
Why go through all of this "wishy-washy", rubbing-and-scrubbing with this or that prep...when (light) polishing is guaranteed to remove any previously applied LSP?

Bob

yellowz03
01-03-2015, 03:38 PM
Lots of good info and ideas in here. Thanks everybody. It's interesting to see everybody's opinions on how much clay is capable of removing.

Car looks good custmsprty! I like BFWD, but I put it on a while back (nearing the end of its lifespan) and wanted to try something different, hence the reason for stripping it. Here's what I ended up doing for anyone wondering:

-Wash with ONR
-Clayed
-P21S Paint Cleanser with the DA
- Wipedown with Griots Pre-Wax Cleanser
-CG JetSeal

ski2
01-03-2015, 10:05 PM
[QUOTE=omarabdullah022;1205193]Okay.. whenever i washed my car after claying it, the beading was gone and the water pooled up. What about that bit... maybe my protection was already on its last breath? Any ideas?QUOTE]

Post #15
"There is a simple way to test if the LSP has been removed after claying and after washing with any strong solution so that it no longer beads water--dry the paint, give it a wipe down with IPA then spray with water and in most cases the beading will return. The soaps leave behind a surfacant that causes the water to run flat giving the appearance that the LSP is gone--the IPA wipedown removes the surfacant allowing the beading characteristics of the LSP to again show through. Just try it and prove it to yourself!!! "

omarabdullah022
01-04-2015, 11:09 AM
[QUOTE=omarabdullah022;1205193]Okay.. whenever i washed my car after claying it, the beading was gone and the water pooled up. What about that bit... maybe my protection was already on its last breath? Any ideas?QUOTE]

Post #15
"There is a simple way to test if the LSP has been removed after claying and after washing with any strong solution so that it no longer beads water--dry the paint, give it a wipe down with IPA then spray with water and in most cases the beading will return. The soaps leave behind a surfacant that causes the water to run flat giving the appearance that the LSP is gone--the IPA wipedown removes the surfacant allowing the beading characteristics of the LSP to again show through. Just try it and prove it to yourself!!! "

Thanks man.. ill surely try it out soon..
Slightly off topic but could it be that the surfactant is to help you pool dry the car, when doing a maintainance wash?

ski2
01-05-2015, 08:18 AM
[QUOTE=ski2;1205948]

Thanks man.. ill surely try it out soon..
Slightly off topic but could it be that the surfactant is to help you pool dry the car, when doing a maintainance wash?

Surfactants are used for exactly that in dish detergents to minimize spotting. However, if you are washing your car in the attempt to remove LSPs they hide the fact that the LSP is still present.