PDA

View Full Version : LF: Tire Cleaning Product

Pages : [1] 2

Mirror Finish
12-07-2013, 09:37 AM
I am not looking for "coatings" and "gels" or any products that masks dirt.

The general purpose soap that I use works well, but it does take a fair amount of scrubbing / agitation to get the "brown" off and to get the tire looking natural rubber clean.

Any suggestions? The product does not have to be car specific.

RFulmer
12-07-2013, 09:37 AM
Amazing Roll Off

Mirror Finish
12-07-2013, 10:05 AM
Amazing Roll Off

I just looked it up.

It appears to be a water based degreaser similar to the product I have been using for years.

The 3rd pic looks familiar in that the soap I use does this, but I still have to go at the tire with a brush a few/several times to get the tire 100% clean. This is particularly the case with new tires where it seems a whitish/grayish wax seems to ooze out of them.
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/autogeek/rolloff-steps.jpg

davidc
12-07-2013, 10:17 AM
Amazing Roll Off works well, This works very well also with no scrubbing
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2272_109024719

Dave

Mirror Finish
12-07-2013, 10:25 AM
Amazing Roll Off works well, This works very well also with no scrubbing
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2272_109024719

Dave

Does it coat the tire to make it look clean or does it leave the tire looking a natural black? I can get this locally, so I'll give it a try.

I'm trying to look up Roll Off and haven't found a web site for them (Bell Chemical Corp) yet. I did find a MSDS sheet on the product and I am almost willing to bet it is the same/similar as the Facto AT30 I use (blue, pH of 12.5, etc).

Thanks for the suggestions/replies so far.

davidc
12-07-2013, 10:35 AM
Does it coat the tire to make it look clean or does it leave the tire looking a natural black? I can get this locally, so I'll give it a try.

I'm trying to look up Roll Off and haven't found a web site for them (Bell Chemical Corp) yet. I did find a MSDS sheet on the product and I am almost willing to bet it is the same/similar as the Facto AT30 I use (blue, pH of 12.5, etc).

Thanks for the suggestions/replies so far.

Leaves the tire in it's natural state with no coatings and ready for dressing, or not. I used both ARO and Back to Black side by side, the ARO with a stiff brush and BTB just spray and rinse. The ARO is probably more cost effective but the BTB was slightly better in my opinion.

Dave

RFulmer
12-07-2013, 10:45 AM
ARO to me is similar to Wesley's Bleach White. I have read here you should wet the tire prior to spraying ARO on. I have had good luck with it but I do still scrub the tires.

davidc
12-07-2013, 10:53 AM
ARO to me is similar to Wesley's Bleach White. I have read here you should wet the tire prior to spraying ARO on. I have had good luck with it but I do still scrub the tires.

Yeah, I wet the tire also, the other alternative is to reduce in a spray bottle. I am not really a Mothers die hard fan but the tire cleaner works very well and you spray it on a dry tire. I still have the habit of running a stiff brush around the tire (Habit). Doesn't seem to make a difference in the outcome tho.

Dave

KillaCam
12-07-2013, 11:04 AM
Does mother's have that product in larger sizes? Nothing I've used can remove tires that have browning except mineral spirits.

davidc
12-07-2013, 11:13 AM
Does mother's have that product in larger sizes? Nothing I've used can remove tires that have browning except mineral spirits.

Haven't seen it. 24oz is all I have seen. It does seem to go a long way as you do not seem to use as much.

Dave

Rmd
12-07-2013, 11:19 AM
Mothers Foaming wheel and tire is my absolute favorite for tires. I don't use it for wheels. Available OTC at wal-mart. Also sold as their FX foaming wheel in most auto parts stores. Same product I think. It's a cleaner, not a renew product or combination cleaner/dressing. Not sure how it compares to the other mothers tire cleaner or the one above. Maybe I'll try those, but foaming wheel and tire works so well it would take a lot to get me to change.

HateSwirls
12-07-2013, 11:47 AM
Since finding out about Totally Awesome which is a buck for a bottle at the Dollar Tree I don't think of trying other cleaning products for my tires.

In a matter of seconds you begin to see brown dripping from the tire, I can almost just rinse it but I give it a light scrub then rinse it off.
Once done the tire is super clean.

Also work amazing on the engine, under fender wells, etc.
Can be diluted too but on my tires I use it without diluting.
On my truck I have white raised letters and I'm impressed how clean they come out. :dblthumb2:

FUNX650
12-07-2013, 12:00 PM
Does it coat the tire to make it look clean or does it leave the tire looking a natural black?
I can get this locally, so I'll give it a try.

I'm trying to look up Roll Off and haven't found a web site for them (Bell Chemical Corp) yet.
I did find a MSDS sheet on the product and I am almost willing to bet it is the
same/similar as the Facto AT30 I use (blue, pH of 12.5, etc).

-From my experience:
Most tire cleaners will have to be agitated, to some degree, in order to perform properly.

-Most tire cleaners, like most other cleaners, contain surfactants.
Surfactants will "coat the tire" with a film if not completely rinsed away.

-I prefer to use cleaners on tires that are completely safe to use around any type of wheel.
I, therefore, would not use Facto AT30 for the purpose of tire cleaning.

I am also reluctant to use Amazing Roll-Off for cleaning tires.
Might as well just use a Winter-blend of windshield washer reservoir fluid instead...IMHO!

-For my tire cleaning products:
I use and highly recommend the P21S/S100 Wheel Cleaners.

There are some that will say: 'Those are too expensive!!!'?
My response to this exclamation will always be: "That depends on how a person defines safe".

:)

Bob

swanicyouth
12-07-2013, 12:14 PM
Tuff Shine Tire Cleaner is the best I've used. I use LA Awesome as well, but TS is better and proven safe on all painted surfaces per Bob at TS.

Nothing will clean them without scrubbing, sans maybe acid. But that probably won't work too well. Tire rubber is somewhat porous, so it takes some agitation to clean. Kind of like you just can't sit your clothes in soap water and expect to get them clean.

Anything that cleans without agitation is likely too aggressive to use safely.

artofdetailing
12-07-2013, 12:58 PM
I've used Tuf Shine, amazing roll off, bleche white, Poorboys whitewall cleaner and various APC's. Tuf shine and roll off have worked the best