PDA

View Full Version : BF Midnight Sun Ivory Carnauba Paste Problems

Pages : [1] 2

volrus
09-02-2013, 08:50 PM
Hope someone can help. I applied the BF Wet Diamond Paint Sealant and now I'm trying to follow up with the Midnight Sun Carnauba. The paste goes on VERY easy, but I can't seem to get it all the way off. I'm sure there is something wrong with what I'm doing, but I can't figure it out. I'm applying with a P21 applicator and then TRYING to take it off with a cobra mf. However, it's leaving behind a film that I can get off if I rub my fingers across it but can't get it off with my mf towel. It says you aren't suppose to let it dry, just wipe on wipe off, but I'm thinking that might be the problem? Any ideas? So far, I'm not happy. I did my hood, top/roof, and trunk but I'm not doing any more if this stuff is going to be that difficult to get off.

SON1C
09-02-2013, 08:54 PM
try one spray onto the microfiber with a quick detail spray or similar product // repeat when it loses it's "dampness"

volrus
09-02-2013, 08:54 PM
Sorry, should've mentioned that this is on my 2013 Mercedes C350...white. Also, I washed with CG Citrus, used the Nanoskin Autoscrub Speedy Prep Sponge – Fine Grade, and applied the BF Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection prior to putting on the carnauba. Also, for those of you that have never tried the Wet Diamond Paint Protection...I honestly don't know how you could try it and not fall in love. It doesn't get ANY easier than this product when it comes to a sealant.

Evan.J
09-02-2013, 08:59 PM
Did you let the sealant cure 12 hours before applying the wax?

Are your apply one panel at at time then removing it?

I have never had any issue with it. What are your weather conditions i know sounds weird but they could affect the wax

EDIT:

Oh and are you applying it very thin as well?

volrus
09-02-2013, 09:07 PM
Did you let the sealant cure 12 hours before applying the wax?

Are your apply one panel at at time then removing it?

I have never had any issue with it. What are your weather conditions i know sounds weird but they could affect the wax

EDIT:

Oh and are you applying it very thin as well?

Yes, the sealant actually cured 24 hours. I might have been putting it on too heavy, don't really know how to tell. Yes, one panel at a time. Typical Tennessee weather conditions, warm and humid.

Evan.J
09-02-2013, 09:09 PM
Yes, the sealant actually cured 24 hours. I might have been putting it on too heavy, don't really know how to tell. Yes, one panel at a time. Typical Tennessee weather conditions, warm and humid.

You should barely be able to see any wax on the paint when you apply it. The thinner the better and the humidity may have had an issues with with.

volrus
09-02-2013, 09:38 PM
You should barely be able to see any wax on the paint when you apply it. The thinner the better and the humidity may have had an issues with with.

In that case I think I was putting it on way too thick. I could see the swirls where I was putting it. In that case, this jar of wax will last forever!

cleanmycorolla
09-02-2013, 09:47 PM
In that case I think I was putting it on way too thick. I could see the swirls where I was putting it. In that case, this jar of wax will last forever!

If you can see it like that, too thick. BFMS is a tremendous wax, apply thin and enjoy.

wdmaccord
09-03-2013, 09:27 AM
Thin is the deal with this stuff. I did about 5 swipes to prime a yellow foam applicator and did about 1/4 of the hood. After that, about 2 swipes in the wax for each panel. I did the doors in 1/2's just so I could get it wiped off before hazing. I think I ended up breaking the hood into 1/8's. Came off very easy. Great on dark paint and extra slick...even more so on top of WDAFPP.

Evan.J
09-03-2013, 09:33 AM

Yep that's me nice thing about applying properly the wax will last you a long time

KneeDragr
09-03-2013, 10:46 AM
I had a lot of problems with that wax as well. It just did not remove easily at all.

swanicyouth
09-03-2013, 11:22 AM
I'm wondering what batch # you guys are having issues with. IIRC, there have been slight changes in this wax over time there was an older Proper Auto Care (I think that was the name???) version and the a PBMG/AG version.

If course its supposed to improve with each version, but who knows.

I have one of the older version I haven't used yet. I'm saving it for God knows what until God knows when:

Batch #25:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/04/7e3egyqu.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/04/mehyva4y.jpg

For some reason I can't bring myself to use it, because its the old version. Maybe one day I'll start a detailing museum.

KneeDragr
09-03-2013, 11:26 AM
I had the older version. My thoughts at the time were that BFWD was just too slick for the wax to bond, so it just smeared around.

I traded it for some DP Max Wax, and while I lost out on the deal $$ wise, Max Wax applied and removed like a dream, even over BFWD. So I dont know what was up.

Bigbull2984
09-03-2013, 12:13 PM
Make sure you dont let it dry, the wax had a learning curve but truly a amazing wax.

I applied to half panel and buffed off wet. And 2nd towel to buff dry again.

Nick McKees37
09-03-2013, 12:29 PM
It sounds like insufficient curing time for the sealant, or the sealant was applied too thick. Either case would cause the wax to "smear" upon wiping it off, making removal far more labor intensive than it has to be.

I would strip everything off, apply ONE coat of the sealant, wait 24 hours, and apply the wax. You should be fine after this. :dblthumb2: