PDA

View Full Version : What is the "best" coating

Pages : [1] 2 3

EliteImageDetailing
07-18-2013, 03:26 PM
I'm looking for input on those who have used the coatings out there and compare to opti coat 2.0

The only coatings I've installed by itself and used are opti coat 2.0 but interested in topping/adding permanon gtechniq and carpro hydro2.

I'm looking to do something different perhaps on my two cars ('13 Pathfinder and '14 GTR) I love detailing and obviously something I do for money. But I have no experience with anything other then optimum. Would it be considered a good idea to coat over the optimum with permanon Or gtechniq as To add durability gloss and slickness to the opti coat?

Because to me I love the durability of opti coat but it doesn't feel like any of the DoDo Fuzion or other nice waxes. I figured investing into coating these two cars is worth it as they are driven mostly every day and plan to be around for quite some time. And I'll be doing what ever coating before the paint protection film goes on the front end.
Thanks for insight, and please only comment if you have used these products.
Appreciate it,
Alex

AutoHeed
07-19-2013, 12:15 PM
Aquartz PPF + Titanium might be just the thing.

PPF is the foundation/primer. Titanium is the second layer for the slickness and water beading/sheeting.

Topping with same products might work. I've seen some detailers do that.

octane
07-19-2013, 01:03 PM
I've had good success with sonax polymer net shield over OC2.0, amazing beading, slick and seems to last pretty well considering it's on top of a coating.

I've also used Hydro2, but was not impressed with the durability on top oc OC2.0, was better on top of Cquartz...

AeroCleanse
07-19-2013, 01:13 PM
GTechniq C1, but the Modesta BC-05 looks interesting.

silverfox
07-19-2013, 01:27 PM
I think coatings are a bit over rated. Yes they have somewhat better durability than other methods of protecting paint (I can get almost a year out of a $10 bottle of DG 105), but in my opinion protection (or lack thereof) is not what causes paint to get all messed up.

It's scratches and swirls and I have yet to see anybody prove that a coating helps to prevent the very thing that causes all the headaches in the first place. Nobody polishes paint because their wax only lasts a month. They polish paint to remove defects caused by poor washing and drying techniques primarily.

I've used several coatings and they scratch just as easy as non coatings do. So for me the only reason I see to use them is because it saves time by not needing to have to apply a wax or sealant more than once a year.

However unless you figure out how to prevent the scratches and swirls that are usually self induced a coating is a waste of money because you will be polishing it off long before it needs to be replaced.

mallic
07-19-2013, 01:32 PM
RestorFx...RestorFX (http://www.restorfx.com)

CamaroSS27
07-19-2013, 01:36 PM
gtechniq

greatwhitenorth
07-19-2013, 02:33 PM

I would never recommend this to anyone. Ever. I have dealt with it and it is nothing but problems.

erichaley
07-19-2013, 03:19 PM
How about coming up with a list of the different coatings, their benefits (scratch resistance, gloss, etc...), expected lifetime, and cost so that people can easily compare them?

Harry Da Hamster
07-19-2013, 03:19 PM

RestorFX! I have confirmed its durability, and it does a great job at correcting a severely neglected paint job.

I am very intrigued to try Gtechniq C1 and EVO v2. Will probably try it next.

Harry Da Hamster
07-19-2013, 03:20 PM
I would never recommend this to anyone. Ever. I have dealt with it and it is nothing but problems.

What were your problems?

FUNX650
07-19-2013, 04:12 PM
How about coming up with a list of the different coatings, their benefits (scratch resistance, gloss, etc...),
expected lifetime, and cost so that people can easily compare them?
^^^Good Idea^^^

"Coatings"...being that they are the new subset in the car-care/appearance-products arena;
And of which: Are now so nigh onto being innumerable;
But are said to be capable of: "Unheard of Before" protection and durability...
Are, indeed: Deserved of such a project...IMO.

Sounds like an excellent job opportunity for Mr. Mike Phillips, and his contacts from around the World.

:D

Bob

greatwhitenorth
07-19-2013, 04:33 PM
What were your problems?

RestoreFX isn't a coating like permanon it's a thick self levelling layer that cures on top of your paint. It looks all fine and dandy at first but you can't polish it! You can only keep applying layers of restore fx or wet sand it off.

greatwhitenorth
07-19-2013, 04:37 PM
It's basically a quick fix but you'll be kicking yourself next time you want to correct any scratching

Calendyr
07-19-2013, 04:44 PM
I have not used coatings before but I was planning to do so shortly.

I was Under the impression those things were permanent... is that not the case?

So far from what I have read and seen, Opti-Coat 2.0 seems to be the product of choice. The syringe might not be super conveniant to use but the coating seems very good.

Would you guys recommend applying a sealant like PowerLock on top of it and then wax? That in my mind would produce the best protection for the paint.