PDA

View Full Version : Clay towel scratched my truck big time , what went wrong?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Marc Hufnagel
02-18-2013, 12:05 PM
Just got my 2013 F150 FX4 and started to clay it last night, using the new clay towel that I was shown how to use personally by mr Mike Phillips. I thought I followed the same technique, but after I did a panel I found what looked to be marring on every high spot (orange peel I guess?) on hat fender. I used last touch Meg's cut 1:1.

I was able to remove it all using a white pad and m205 on a flex @ 5.

The surface was clean and I did prep the towel by rubbing on a window with lube first as I have read about. The marks almost looked like a very lite wet sand with a very fine grade paper,

I'm quite hesitant to try again now, I'll try to see if I can find any left over and get a pic later today.

Marc Hufnagel
02-18-2013, 12:08 PM
I forgot to add it was a speedy prep fine grade.

TheCougarGuy
02-18-2013, 12:09 PM
I had the same result when I tried it on the hood of my 96 Thunderbird. I never had that happen with clay.

ihaveacamaro
02-18-2013, 12:23 PM
the speedy prep towel needs to be broken in on glass for a bit. I know you said you used it on glass after using on paint, but I was wondering if you did that step?

Setec Astronomy
02-18-2013, 12:58 PM
The surface was clean and I did prep the towel by rubbing on a window with lube first as I have read about.

I haven't used this product, but if I wanted to break it in I wouldn't use the same lube I use on paint. I'd try it with water and if that was too grabby, I'd try with just a few drops of car wash in a bucket (that's presuming clean glass first). I don't know if that would have helped, but I'd want less lube for more break-in. Someday I'll use up all the clay I hoarded years ago and get around to using one of these replacement products.

Marc Hufnagel
02-18-2013, 12:58 PM
the speedy prep towel needs to be broken in on glass for a bit. I know you said you used it on glass after using on paint, but I was wondering if you did that step?

Well I said I prepped it first on the glass..

ihaveacamaro
02-18-2013, 01:01 PM
Well I said I prepped it first on the glass..

oops sorry missed that!

marring can happen with any type of clay, have you tried a normal fine clay and seen if that also mars? That would tell you if it's the towel or just your paint.

Marc Hufnagel
02-18-2013, 01:03 PM
I haven't used this product, but if I wanted to break it in I wouldn't use the same lube I use on paint. I'd try it with water and if that was too grabby, I'd try with just a few drops of car wash in a bucket (that's presuming clean glass first). I don't know if that would have helped, but I'd want less lube for more break-in. Someday I'll use up all the clay I hoarded years ago and get around to using one of these replacement products.

Like another said I've never had this happen with a clay bar. I'm glad I was able to remove the damage, but I don't want to see that again! The only thing I can think is maybe the lube but I've used that same bottle with clay bars, so maybe used too much pressure but I tried to replicate what Mike showed me in Evansville.

Marc Hufnagel
02-18-2013, 01:04 PM
oops sorry missed that!

marring can happen with any type of clay, have you tried a normal fine clay and seen if that also mars? That would tell you if it's the towel or just your paint.

I've never had marring to any degree to speak of, never anything close to light sanding mark appearance,

Setec Astronomy
02-18-2013, 01:05 PM
Like another said I've never had this happen with a clay bar. I'm glad I was able to remove the damage, but I don't want to see that again! The only thing I can think is maybe the lube but I've used that same bottle with clay bars, so maybe used too much pressure but I tried to replicate what Mike showed me in Evansville.

I was really asking if you got it broken in enough. These clay replacements, from the first one (Ultima Elastrofoam) have always had a rep for causing marring.

Marc Hufnagel
02-18-2013, 01:48 PM
I was really asking if you got it broken in enough. These clay replacements, from the first one (Ultima Elastrofoam) have always had a rep for causing marring.

I think I got it broken in. Think is the word but what I see you wrote about them in general makes me think it might be more the towel itself than the Breakin process or a combo of both.

ihaveacamaro
02-18-2013, 02:09 PM
I've never had marring to any degree to speak of, never anything close to light sanding mark appearance,

I'm confused, have you used a clay bar on this particular truck before and didn't get marring?

Because in your OP, it says that you just got this car, so it seems to imply that this is the first time clay or a clay alternative has touched this particular truck, so I'm unsure how you can say that normal clay wouldn't mar this truck.

spiralout462
02-18-2013, 02:12 PM
If I apply any pressure whatsoever when I clay my truck it will marr the paint.

cardaddy
02-18-2013, 03:06 PM

Now this is just me speaking out in class, but.....
It's my understanding that the "clay alternatives" biggest selling point is they provide as much or even more cleaning ability than clay and do it, over a much longer lifespan.

With of course the benefit of being able to drop on the floor, rinse & repeat. ;)

Keeping that in mind, it only seems logical that when brand new the working surface would be more agressive (perhaps substantly) than a mild clay, in order to, over the lifetime of the product, continue to provide quantifiable and measurable results. Which is the reason after all that they are so much more costly than even expensive clay. :dunno: I suspect with that 'break-in' period behind that the results would more mirror what we've all become accustomed to seeing with 'clay'.

CM8 6MT
02-18-2013, 03:13 PM
I cant speak for this product because I've never tried it. However, Im a firm believer in not "trying to re-invent the wheel". Clay bar works fine for me, it has for many years. Stick to what works, unless something comes along that totally blows whatever you were using out of the water.