PDA

View Full Version : Clay towel scratched my truck big time , what went wrong?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

fenderpicks
02-19-2013, 04:46 PM
I was going to give up clay and try this towel.
With all the clay alternative, the speedy towel was my 1st choice among all.

But after reading this, i think i rather save that $60 and stick with the old fashion clay....

CM8 6MT
02-19-2013, 04:48 PM
I was going to give up clay and try this towel.
With all the clay alternative, the speedy towel was my 1st choice among all.

But after reading this, i think i rather save that $60 and stick with the old fashion clay....

I wouldn't entirely give up on clay alternatives. It just happened to not work for the OP, to many users they have no issues whatsoever. Every product will vary between users & especially more so from paint to paint system.

john b
02-19-2013, 05:01 PM
anytime we clay there is always risk no matter how good we are.happens to everyone sooner or later

Meticulous-Detail
02-19-2013, 05:28 PM
Anytime I clay or speedy prep a car I am usually going to polish it so I don't really worry that much about marring. Based upon user reviews and personal experience the "clay alternatives" need to be broken in really really well and generous on the lube.

Don't give up on the speedy prep towel, try breaking it in more on other glass surfaces and pre-soaking in warm or hot water. Then give it a whirl on another vehicle.

bmwgeek
02-19-2013, 07:21 PM
I want to try the nanoskin mitt it's $10 cheaper ($39.95) from CG's website.

Marc Hufnagel
02-19-2013, 07:53 PM
Technique or whatever, If anyone wants to buy it, 40 shipped., used on one panel.

DP 08 GXP
02-19-2013, 08:35 PM
Technique or whatever, If anyone wants to buy it, 40 shipped., used on one panel.

I'll take it

Marc Hufnagel
02-19-2013, 08:46 PM
I'll take it

enjoy. gone. :nomore:

ShaunD
02-19-2013, 09:32 PM
@OP, what was the temperature when you were using the SPT?
It is a great product and I have had it transfer onto edges or slightly mar pant but nothing major. I have also had the same thing happen with the universal gray clay bar. That said IME, the prep towel works faster at removing bonded contamination(like clear coat over spray) than Meg's red aggressive clay, and left much less marring than aggressive clay. This was my experience recently on a black 2010 Camaro, which has extremely soft clear. You have to realize that with the prep towel it has ridges on it which make up pressure points. On regular clay, and some clay alternatives, it is a flat surface that distributes the pressure of your hand better. That said I have almost always noticed marring on paint with significant orange peel when using anything other than ultra poly clay.
I think the pros out way the cons with clay alternatives. The up front cost seems high but compared to the same monetary amount of clay, you will get more uses out of a clay alternative.
IME the Nanoskin Autoscrub mars as bad if not worse if used below about 55°. I recommend keeping any coating material warm when using it especially the clay alternative materials; and use more lube than you think is necessary. So, give the SPT a second chance or at least do a test with it and trad clay side-by-side.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using AG Online