PDA

View Full Version : Opti-Coat on exterior plastic trim?

Pages : [1] 2

WRAPT C5Z06
06-10-2012, 01:48 PM
Does OC work on exterior plastic trim? I don't need to restore, just maintain.

Perfections
06-10-2012, 04:46 PM
Yes, but it can still have high spots, just be sure to use a mf to level em out after application, because they will show!

Rsurfer
06-10-2012, 05:09 PM
Mark, I would pm Chris on this. You don't want it peeling or wearing in spots down the road. How do you remove it if need be..abrade it off with 105?

Rsurfer
06-10-2012, 05:11 PM
Why do you have the Z in your sig?

WRAPT C5Z06
06-10-2012, 08:55 PM
Mark, I would pm Chris on this. You don't want it peeling or wearing in spots down the road. How do you remove it if need be..abrade it off with 105?
Good points, Ron. I'll just use UTTG or maybe try Dlux.

timaishu
06-10-2012, 09:30 PM
You should look into that new product from carpro. I think its like a cquartz for trim if I remember correctly..

EDIT: Here it is CQuartz DLux Plastic & Wheel Coating (http://www.autogeek.net/cquartz-dlux.html)

jimbo585
06-10-2012, 10:49 PM
I have OC on my trim...haven't had to dress it since applied in November and it still looks great.

sohail99
06-11-2012, 03:35 AM
Yup it works great on plastic trim! I have it on all my exterior plastics as well as rubber side window trims too!

Super easy to clean and remains natural black in color!

BobbyG
06-11-2012, 07:00 AM

Hey Mark,

It's a great question and the only thing I'd be concerned with is the expansion rates of the two materials...Optimum Opti-Coat is a thin hard coating and may lose adhesion.

I shoot an email over to Dr. G. and pose this question to him....:props:

BobbyG
06-11-2012, 07:01 AM
I have OC on my trim...haven't had to dress it since applied in November and it still looks great.

Yup it works great on plastic trim! I have it on all my exterior plastics as well as rubber side window trims too!

Super easy to clean and remains natural black in color!

Great to know guys!! :props:

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
06-11-2012, 08:25 AM
I coat new platsic with OC/OG and it looks great....

WRAPT C5Z06
06-13-2012, 09:18 PM
I shoot an email over to Dr. G. and pose this question to him....:props:
I'm going to do so, Bobby. In the meantime, I dressed the trim with Wolfgang exterior trim sealant. :D

Chris Thomas
06-15-2012, 08:59 AM
OC will not crack or peel on hard plastics. It has some restorative/darkening qualities, but just looks new and not dressed. Removing it would require abrasion which would also remove any grain and the heat from polishing would likely damage the piece. Having applied it to numerous vehicle trim pieces, it looks and wears great so I don't see any legitimate reasons to remove unless we're just talking for the sake of discussion. Plastic seems to absorb some so i usually do two coats. It it much more forgiving than paint with respect to over application (high spots).

RaskyR1
06-15-2012, 09:54 AM
OC will not crack or peel on hard plastics. It has some restorative/darkening qualities, but just looks new and not dressed. Removing it would require abrasion which would also remove any grain and the heat from polishing would likely damage the piece. Having applied it to numerous vehicle trim pieces, it looks and wears great so I don't see any legitimate reasons to remove unless we're just talking for the sake of discussion. Plastic seems to absorb some so i usually do two coats. It it much more forgiving than paint with respect to over application (high spots).

I concur! I love it on trim and I even coated my friends matte black Harley with it. I had it on my TSX trim for almost 2 years and it still looked like new when I sold it. I've done a few Mini's as well and the last I heard from the owner he loved it. :props:

The fact that it can't be removed lie paint is a little concerning, but then again, why would you ever need/want to?

Flannigan
06-15-2012, 09:57 AM
I concur! I love it on trim and I even coated my friends matte black Harley with it. I had it on my TSX trim for almost 2 years and it still looked like new when I sold it. I've done a few Mini's as well and the last I heard from the owner he loved it. :props:

The fact that it can't be removed lie paint is a little concerning, but then again, why would you ever need/want to?
I've used it on the majority of my matte black wrapped cube as well and it worked great. I did notice as Chris mentioned, that it takes a little more to completely coat it sine some gets absorbed.