PDA

View Full Version : Opti-Coat on exterior plastic trim?

Pages : 1 [2]

RaskyR1
06-15-2012, 10:08 AM
I've used it on the majority of my matte black wrapped cube as well and it worked great. I did notice as Chris mentioned, that it takes a little more to completely coat it sine some gets absorbed.

Yep, more of a slight darkening then a shine, and it does use noticeably more product...very easy to level off and make uniform looking though with a wipe of the towel. :)

WRAPT C5Z06
06-15-2012, 10:38 AM
OC will not crack or peel on hard plastics. It has some restorative/darkening qualities, but just looks new and not dressed. Removing it would require abrasion which would also remove any grain and the heat from polishing would likely damage the piece. Having applied it to numerous vehicle trim pieces, it looks and wears great so I don't see any legitimate reasons to remove unless we're just talking for the sake of discussion. Plastic seems to absorb some so i usually do two coats. It it much more forgiving than paint with respect to over application (high spots).
Thanks! How long between each coat? Will it have the same durability as on paint?

RaskyR1
06-15-2012, 10:59 AM
Thanks! How long between each coat? Will it have the same durability as on paint?

Don't see any reason for more than one coat, and IME, yes, it acts the same as on paint. ;)

Chris Thomas
06-15-2012, 04:52 PM

I misspoke when I said two "coats", what I meant was that I go over it twice. I will coat the panel and if it looks like it needs more, I go over it immediately. Yes, it will have the exact same attributes as if applied to paint.