PDA

View Full Version : New Car Decision, 2012 subaru wrx sti or 2013 mustang gt premium

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

UltimateDetail
01-22-2012, 12:59 AM
Just as it says in the title, I am purchasing a new vehicle and am at a standstill as to which to buy. I come from a die hard Ford family. As in my blood is ford blue lol. But I came across the wrx sti in a nearby dealership and absolutely love it. But the ford is always in the back of my mind. So I figuered let the good forum members at AGO help me decide. And possibly start a war about which car is the better car, because I know there are a lot of subaru and mustang owners on here lol thanks and let the thread begin:dblthumb2:

weavers
01-22-2012, 01:38 AM
what are you going to use the car for? daily driver? track day? canyon carving? Does cargo space matter?

if it were me with those choices i would go with the wrx. 300 horse power, tubro, 4 wheel grip, rear seat leg room and 5 door wagon for tons and tons of cargo space. its daily driver, family, and you can take it around a track and have tons of fun without needing crazy mods. i think the 2012 wrx is very good looking both the saloon and the 5 door. I would avoid the 2013 wrx, it suppose to be a new engine, more horsepower ect, but first generation engines always have problems.

personally I prefer a bit more luxury so I would go with an audi S4.

ShinyRex
01-22-2012, 02:29 AM
Just as it says in the title, I am purchasing a new vehicle and am at a standstill as to which to buy. I come from a die hard Ford family. As in my blood is ford blue lol. But I came across the wrx sti in a nearby dealership and absolutely love it. But the ford is always in the back of my mind. So I figuered let the good forum members at AGO help me decide. And possibly start a war about which car is the better car, because I know there are a lot of subaru and mustang owners on here lol thanks and let the thread begin:dblthumb2:

It is probably obvious which side of the fence my opinions are on but they are both fun cars and it comes down to what kind of driving you do/want to do. Which trim of the mustang are you looking at?

UltimateDetail
01-22-2012, 02:50 AM
It is probably obvious which side of the fence my opinions are on but they are both fun cars and it comes down to what kind of driving you do/want to do. Which trim of the mustang are you looking at?
I am looking at the gt premium trim level and I definitely want some good power on straight away's but I like to go on backroads with tight turns and such, I am loving the awd option as my dad already has a gt premium 2012 5.0 and it is a handful with the rwd lol Also what is your opinion on the 4 or 5 door option? I like the 4 door because of the huge wing you get and the lines are amazing!

what are you going to use the car for? daily driver? track day? canyon carving? Does cargo space matter?

if it were me with those choices i would go with the wrx. 300 horse power, tubro, 4 wheel grip, rear seat leg room and 5 door wagon for tons and tons of cargo space. its daily driver, family, and you can take it around a track and have tons of fun without needing crazy mods. i think the 2012 wrx is very good looking both the saloon and the 5 door. I would avoid the 2013 wrx, it suppose to be a new engine, more horsepower ect, but first generation engines always have problems.

personally I prefer a bit more luxury so I would go with an audi S4.

Yeah I love the turbo whistle and awd is a huge perk to me. And I completely agree with the new engine problem, I would never buy a car with a new barely tested drivetrain. Also i'll have to look into the audi as I do favor luxury features in a car.

Blackthorn One
01-22-2012, 03:46 AM
The ford Mustang, absolutely. It is a much much better looking car, and you love Fords. How can you go wrong? The mustang might even appreciate in value over time. That will not happen with the Subaru, IMO.
If I was buying a Mustang, I would want the GT 350, GT500, Boss 302, or at least the 26 mpg 412 hp 5.0.
I am the kind of person who want a car that I will want to keep for 20-30 years. When I look at a car, I judge it's styling compared to every car ever made, and not just compared to every new car available. That said, The new Mustang is a great looking car. The Subaru is a sort of neat looking car. Mustang styling= 8.7 out of 10. Subaru Styling= 3.7 out of 10.
That new Mustang is one of the best looking cars Ford has ever made, and they recently even improved the taillight design. It is such a winner. If you are someone who gets a thrill out detailing beautiful cars, I don't see how you could be satisfied with that homely looking Subaru compared to that stylish Mustang. Plus, now the Mustang has such phenomenal performance available, up to 650 hp.

Tundra_10
01-22-2012, 06:51 AM
No offense to anyone that has a mustang, but I would go with the Subaru. I think its a better car and if you treat it nicely it will last forever, if you treat it badly, it will last forever minus a couple hours.

The Subaru for whatever you throw at it should be awesome, just short of rock crawling and severe mudding. It can handle any road condition which makes it very safe. It is very quick which makes it very fun. It also has a huge community (as does the Mustang) so anything and everything you could possibly want to do to it in the future, or just need help with it is there for you.

The Ford has a huge community (as previously noted) it has that awesome V8 that gives loads of power. However, winter will not be very fun, wet roads will not be very fun, corners will not be AS fun as the Subaru. Reliability... who knows. These 5.0s are new so there is not enough out there to have some high mileage kinks and issues pop out yet. I think the styling of the Mustang is more muscular and masculine. It screams America in an almost arrogant way.

I think both choices are great and if life is treating you well enough to be able to afford one or the other, thats fantastic. I think out of the 2 I would decide with the Subaru.

I saw someone mentioning the Audi as an alternative... might I add my suggestion and you maybe getting a 1 series BMW? =) Without consulting any website because I do not feel like it right now, I could be mistaken but I think the 135i is right around 38 or 39ish. That is a fast mamma-jamma too and its German so you know its bulit-proof and my goodness, in my eyes, one of the best looking cars under 100k

5.4 Shelby
01-22-2012, 07:15 AM
That is a tough call. I have owned many Mustangs and am looking at the WRX for the near future. I may have to start commuting 45-60 minutes each way to work (in snow during the winter). I wont be using my GT500 for that. As others have said, depends on use and desire.

Dont discount the Mustangs handling. It may not take the STi on the tight track, but, it will serve the average guys needs. Go test drive one. IT will surprise you.

If driving in snow and such and I didnt own another car, I would give the edge to the Subi just because of the all wheel drive.

If you have other daily drivers and want that iconic look, sound and feel of an american V8, the Mustang is the obvious choice.

I have driven both. The Mustang's boulevard cruising presence is far superior. You dont have to be going fast in it to feel like you are driving a fast car. The Subi's engine feels like an economy car at normal driving. You have to be putting your foot in it to really get the engine to show you what it is about.

I guess the best advice is to go test drive them both and let your heart tell you which one to pick.

BobbyG
01-22-2012, 07:21 AM
Being from a different generation there's only 1 clear choice....

Mustang GT.......:props:

Meticulous-Detail
01-22-2012, 07:37 AM
My vote is for the Mustang, but I might be a little bias................lol. Did you drive them both? Two very different driving experiences.

I almost sold my Shelby for a more family muscle car and after a couple of test drives decide not too. None of them put a smile wide enough on my face to change my mind.

rfinkle2
01-22-2012, 07:58 AM
Depending on where you live, you are going to have to put @ decent set of all seasons on the car to drive in anything but warm dry weather.

Moreso with the STI is you want to take advantage of the awd. In the cold, the summer tires are virtually worthless, and in the snow, even with awd, they border on kamikaze.

If you plan on modding the car, it may pay to visit the forums of both and weight modification options.

I am a turbo charger fan, as well as a awd fan, but admit that the new mustang has become a true sports car as of late.

Either way, best of luck.

silverfox
01-22-2012, 09:28 AM
As a young man I Have raced, built engines, pulled tractors, owned sports cars both foreign and American. Still nothing boils my blood like good old Anerican muscle. (including mustangs...god did I say that? )

Blackthorn One
01-22-2012, 12:02 PM
As a young man I Have raced, built engines, pulled tractors, owned sports cars both foreign and American. Still nothing boils my blood like good old Anerican muscle. (including mustangs...god did I say that? )
Actually I think"gets my blood pumping" is the phrase you are looking for. "Boils my blood" means gets you angry.

JonMiles
01-22-2012, 12:15 PM
I'd say mustang all the way, V8, rear wheel drive, I hope a manual transmission, and an american vehicle.

2008Mustang4.0
01-22-2012, 12:18 PM
Mustang without a doubt. End of story

ShinyRex
01-22-2012, 12:59 PM
I am looking at the gt premium trim level and I definitely want some good power on straight away's but I like to go on backroads with tight turns and such, I am loving the awd option as my dad already has a gt premium 2012 5.0 and it is a handful with the rwd lol Also what is your opinion on the 4 or 5 door option? I like the 4 door because of the huge wing you get and the lines are amazing!

I chose the 5 door as I wanted the extra cargo room and I am looking to start a family in the future so it helped the wife get on board with the decision. The lines of the 4 door are great and the wing is iconic but you sacrfice cargo room.

It is a hard choice overall as the Mustang is the one American muscle car that excites me. If you go the Mustang route I would upgrade the brakes as a factory option. From looking at edmunds the upgrade cost is signifigantly cheaper than if you do it after market. Both cars have had several years to shake the bugs out so there should be some good reliability data online.

Neither car has great gas mileage, but that is not what you buy them for. The 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are comparable (I used zeroto60times.com) but the mustang has 100 lb of torque and about 100 hp on the STI so you will get more of that pushed into your seat feeling with the Mustang.

Personally I really don't have the money or space for a second play car and being in the military I move around a lot. I wanted to make sure I wouldn't have any issues driving a fun car all year round no matter where I am stationed.

All in all if it puts a smile on your face and you are happy with the deal you get then you really can't go wrong with either choice.