PDA

View Full Version : Good place to start with a rotary?

Pages : [1] 2

pcw25
01-07-2012, 10:21 PM
Hi everyone! I was just wondering where I would start with a rotary buffer, since I have practically mastered the PC. I'm afraid to work on my own vehicles, let alone customer vehicles. I'm just lost. Any feedback would be great!

mark58
01-07-2012, 10:29 PM
Hi everyone! I was just wondering where I would start with a rotary buffer, since I have practically mastered the PC. I'm afraid to work on my own vehicles, let alone customer vehicles. I'm just lost. Any feedback would be great!

Junk yard!

pcw25
01-07-2012, 10:31 PM
i don't really have one nearby...everyone says rotaries are super dangerous bla bla...is it more hyped up than what it really is, or is it that dangerous?

mark58
01-07-2012, 10:33 PM
i don't really have one nearby...everyone says rotaries are super dangerous bla bla...is it more hyped up than what it really is, or is it that dangerous?

I will put is simple as I can. I ruined the paint on my old 2002 Cadillac DHS.

alko
01-07-2012, 10:35 PM
I will put is simple as I can. I ruined the paint on my old 2002 Cadillac DHS.

aww man!!! I JUST got my Flex...you just made me nervous!

pcw25
01-07-2012, 10:39 PM
ohmy...i hope it isn't something to worry about. i just want to polish paint faster. i guess it isn't hype... :P

mark58
01-07-2012, 10:43 PM
ohmy...i hope it isn't something to worry about. i just want to polish paint faster. i guess it isn't hype... :P

Just be smart (unlike me) read a lot and practice on a junk hood or trunk lid.

rider9195
01-07-2012, 10:45 PM

Maybe go to some car dealers around town and ask if they have any junk panels? Wouldn't hurt.

Dr Oldz
01-07-2012, 10:46 PM
A scrap panel is indeed the best way to start and intentionally burn the paint so you see what it takes to do so. If that is not an option, I would suggest starting off at the slowest speed with a finishing pad and a finishing polish and keep the pad moving at all times.

pcw25
01-07-2012, 10:49 PM
thanks for all the replies! i will definitely do what you guys suggested!

Dr Oldz
01-07-2012, 10:54 PM
thanks for all the replies! i will definitely do what you guys suggested!

YW. This thread is only 20 mins old...so keep looking back at it as others will see it in the next few days and add their thoughts also.

pcw25
01-07-2012, 10:57 PM
oh i will definitely! i just like the ideas so far.

glen e
01-07-2012, 11:10 PM
Common sense prevails here - watch all the videos that mike does and read here. I just bought a flex 3403 and am not afraid at all, just finished up a boat, and two cars and never came close to ruining any paint. All jobs came out perfect....

Rsurfer
01-07-2012, 11:12 PM
If there is no junk yard near by, surely someone has an old beater that they wouldn't mind having polished for free. Just keep the rotary moving and stay away from edges. Until you get good, just tape the edges and just use good judgement and you'll be fine.

opie_7afe
01-08-2012, 12:04 AM
:iagree: for me using a rotary is in my blood so to speak lol. i got some hands on training from my dad(now i can polish better then him) but in all honesty using the rotary is easy, whats hard is learning not to burn edges, so best way to not burn edges is what i did when i first started on a daily driver vehicle, and that is to tape all the hard edges, i used some thin tape to tape up inbetween seams,on edges of body lines, hood/fender edges areas like that and then i would go on polishing with m105 and then i would remove most of the tape on the body lines and not out of the gaps/trim and use m205 on a finishing pad to remove compounding swirls and to blend every thing in. now ive gotten better and dont need to tape most body lines.i wouldnt start out with a wool pad either, the fibers in the wool are more likely to burn edges inbetween body panel gaps(just guess how i know this) remember everyone has burned an edge when using a rotary so expect it to happen. as far as finding test panels call up a body shop explain what you are using it for (i would ask to speak to an actual body shop worker vs the office folk) you will end up with a damaged panel but will be enough area to learn. when people come in for say a frontal corner colision the bumper and fender might be toast and the hood might have alittle damage which ends up being replaced so that leaves a ton of area to practice with. just also mention to the body shop your not looking to get metal for scrap your just trying to expand your knowledge on using a rotary buffer ect ect.heck might even get some work out of just a phone call or physical visit :)