PDA

View Full Version : Drying a black car.....

Pages : [1] 2

tw33k2514
10-21-2011, 10:13 PM
Seriously wanted to throw a small puppy off a bridge today.... I am obviously doing something wrong.

Ok so I go to dry a black car. What happens you ask? It smears like a mofo!?!?!?! I try using both a very plush microfiber and a waffle weave drying towel. I even tried the blotting method and that streaked too. So I said to myself, being the smart guy I am... Or so I thought. Maybe I will just use some QD to aid in my situation... Well that still made it streak.

Long story short, I have to first go over the car with drying towels then go back over it with QD, and a second dry towel to aid in the streaking of the QD..... There has to be a better way...

The QD I tried was Meg's quick detail spray, and mothers showtime. I do have ONR but did not try it.

Any advice? Before I rip my hair out!

CEE DOG
10-21-2011, 10:20 PM
If your getting streak with drying before you introduced any qd there must be something on your towels, paint or water.

Dr Oldz
10-21-2011, 10:23 PM
Were you in the sun? I would have to say that if you weren't that your towel is contaminated.

tw33k2514
10-21-2011, 10:27 PM
Were you in the sun? I would have to say that if you weren't that your towel is contaminated.

I was in the shade. And ambient temp was around 60. Do you think it could have anything to do with the fact that last time I washed my towels I was out of tide, and used Xtra?

Dr Oldz
10-21-2011, 10:30 PM
I was in the shade. And ambient temp was around 60. Do you think it could have anything to do with the fact that last time I washed my towels I was out of tide, and used Xtra?

It's possible. Another thing to consider since you said it was around 60....perhaps it was at the dew point...???? That can make it a nightmare to dry a car. But I would still lean towards the towels.

rwright
10-21-2011, 10:43 PM
It's possible. Another thing to consider since you said it was around 60....perhaps it was at the dew point...???? That can make it a nightmare to dry a car. But I would still lean towards the towels.

Dang, that's what was going through my head! Great post!

Now spray some DG Aqua Wax all over, spread with one drying towel and buff clean with a 2nd drying towel, step back and enjoy the gloss! Shameless plug :laughing:

lots2learn
10-21-2011, 10:43 PM
Hey I had the some problem with my black Lexus. For me it was not what it was washed with but rather what was added to the drying cycle. My wife threw in a fabric softner sheet. That stuff coats everything...including my car when I started drying it off with the waffle weave towel. Anyway, I feel your pain. Hope you find the problem.

ScottB
10-21-2011, 11:27 PM
I might suggest the Master Blaster or Leaf Blower first to remove excess water, then a detail spray spritz and blot with a WW MF towel.

tw33k2514
10-22-2011, 12:03 AM
I might suggest the Master Blaster or Leaf Blower first to remove excess water, then a detail spray spritz and blot with a WW MF towel.
I will try that tomorrow. I actually have a leaf blower, just never really felt the need until now.

05xrunner
10-22-2011, 09:22 AM
after I dry my car I always follow up with a QD to remove any streaks from drying. since EVERYTHING shows up on black

TLMitchell
10-22-2011, 10:00 AM
I will try that tomorrow. I actually have a leaf blower, just never really felt the need until now.

Once you blow dry then wipe up remaining residue you won't want to do it any other way. Especially a hoot with a fresh LSP.... the water absolutely skeedaddles off the finish. Getting rid of any potential drip spots in the nooks and crannies and around trim is a bonus, especially on black where those drips will show up about a 1/4 mile down the road. :eek:

after I dry my car I always follow up with a QD to remove any streaks from drying. since EVERYTHING shows up on black

My routine settled on DGAW spritzed onto the finish before wiping off the water residue after blow drying. I don't recall ever having a streaking problem on black, or anything else. Great product! High gloss, extra protection, easy, inexpensive and it smells good. What's not to like? :)

TL

Mike T
10-22-2011, 10:08 AM
Dang, that's what was going through my head! Great post!

Now spray some DG Aqua Wax all over, spread with one drying towel and buff clean with a 2nd drying towel, step back and enjoy the gloss! Shameless plug :laughing:

I love DGAW. The gloss is fanTastic. It rained for almost three days straight (wet :-( roads) and the cars still look great.

I always get streaks when drying cars. That's why it's mandatory to use a qd spray too follow up. I then apply whatever booster wax or sealant I chose.

DARK HORSE
10-22-2011, 10:13 AM

Once you blow dry then wipe up remaining residue you won't want to do it any other way. Especially a hoot with a fresh LSP.... the water absolutely skeedaddles off the finish. Getting rid of any potential drip spots in the nooks and crannies and around trim is a bonus, especially on black where those drips will show up about a 1/4 mile down the road. :eek:
:)

TL

:iagree::iagree:

After blowing it dry with the Master Blaster there is hardly any need to touch the paint with a towel. Only a very few minor touch up spots need a QD or spray wax and MF...:props:

tw33k2514
10-22-2011, 05:35 PM
So I tried the leaf blower after washing my truck today..... OMG! Never will I not use it again. I may buy a quieter blower though. Because mine is an old craftsman from the early 90's and it is LOUD.

DARK HORSE
10-22-2011, 05:55 PM
So I tried the leaf blower after washing my truck today..... OMG! Never will I not use it again. I may buy a quieter blower though. Because mine is an old craftsman from the early 90's and it is LOUD.
A leaf blower is great, however the Master Blaster is beyond describable...Im the MANIt virtually vaporizes and obliterates the water!!