PDA

View Full Version : Drying a black car.....

Pages : 1 [2]

AeroCleanse
10-22-2011, 05:59 PM
I use a leaf blower, if yours is too loud buy some hearing protection. Master Blaster and such like tools are great if you can afford them, esp the ones that warm the air.

TLMitchell
10-22-2011, 07:26 PM
So I tried the leaf blower after washing my truck today..... OMG! Never will I not use it again.

Told ya so. :p

I may buy a quieter blower though. Because mine is an old craftsman from the early 90's and it is LOUD.

Being one for versatility in tools I use the removeable blower from my Shop Vac. Less bulk and infinitly quieter than most leaf blowers.

TL

tw33k2514
10-22-2011, 08:10 PM
I was looking at the Ridgid model with the removable blower. I could use a new shop vac anyway....

ThirdgenTa
10-23-2011, 01:08 PM
It's nearly impossible for me to wash and dry my black car outside especially if it is warm or sunny without getting spots or streaks. Drys up in like 15 seconds. I usually wait till it's cloudy or park it under the shade and do an ONR wash so I can do one panel at a time.
My leaf blower was probably one of my best detailing purchases. Now I just blow as much water off the car as possible and in all the crevices and then go over the rest with a waffle wave. I can dry an entire car with just one towel now.
My leaf blower is a newer TORO that goes to about 215mph I believe. I wouldn't go anything less. It's loud and I am sure my neighbors hear it, but it's tollerable. Only hurts my ear if I old it up by my face for a while.

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
10-23-2011, 01:20 PM
I was looking at the Ridgid model with the removable blower. I could use a new shop vac anyway....

I have a Shop Vac (model) with removable blower...itts nice to have 2 in 1 BUT you have to be very careful watching your filter...if it gets dirty then you'll just be blowing dirt all over your freshly washed car...not good lol.

I know its 2 pieces of equipment, but i really like the little Weed Eater (its small and green) blower for drying cars. Its got a pretty small opening for the air to blow through (compared to my shop vac blower and other big blowers) but it has plenty of power...and the small opening works GREAT for places like, under rear view mirrors or grills or other tight places where water loves to hide.

I had an issue with drying black paint a couple times...was FRESH paint though...ah nothing like drying paint that has NO wax on it lol.

TLMitchell
10-23-2011, 03:34 PM
I have a Shop Vac (model) with removable blower...itts nice to have 2 in 1 BUT you have to be very careful watching your filter...if it gets dirty then you'll just be blowing dirt all over your freshly washed car...not good lol.

You've obviously got something way different than my Shop Vac. My blower comes off solo leaving the filter inside the canister. The exhaust diffuser pulls off and a nozzle goes on.

TL

Wills.WindowsAndWheels
10-23-2011, 03:42 PM
You've obviously got something way different than my Shop Vac. My blower comes off solo leaving the filter inside the canister. The exhaust diffuser pulls off and a nozzle goes on.

TL

My blower comes off too but i have two separate filters, one inside the canister like what you're talking about, but i also have one inside the 'motor' portion of the shop vac, much smaller one, but it is there...there are 3 star head screws that hold the casing over it that you have to remove to get to the filter and clean it

BobbyG
10-23-2011, 03:45 PM
Were you in the sun? I would have to say that if you weren't that your towel is contaminated.

:iagree:

For quite some time now I've switched from towels to an electric leaf blower for 95% of my drying tasks. Additional area get hit with a clean Cobra Guzzler Waffle Weave drying towel.

When washing it's not usually necessary to use allot of soap. After washing try doing an additional rinse to see if this helps or try using a dedicated Microfiber wash and see if it helps...

embolism
10-23-2011, 04:02 PM
are you sheeting water? Provided that you have a good lsp on the car, sheeting probably removes 75% of the water, leaving you 15% to blow out of mirrors, gas cap area, and seams... the rest I go over with a spray wax or spray sealant.

Final wipe with a cobra rolled edge is a must for me as well...