PDA

View Full Version : Calling All Air Compressor Experts...

Pages : [1] 2 3

WRAPT C5Z06
10-06-2011, 12:36 AM
With the specs of this compressor, does it have enough power to thoroughly blow out Microfiber, wool, and foam pads? Please only answer if you're educated on this subject. Thanks.

GMC Power Equipment GMC SYCLONE 4610A Ultra Quiet & Oil-Free Air Compressor (Twin Aluminum Tank) | Wayfair (http://www.wayfair.com/GMC-Power-Equipment-GMC-SYCLONE-4610A-Ultra-Quiet-and-Oil-Free-Air-Compressor-Twin-Aluminum-Tank-SYCLONE-4610A-GMC1008.html?refid=AC49-GMC1008)

tuscarora dave
10-06-2011, 12:40 AM
No

WRAPT C5Z06
10-06-2011, 12:44 AM
No
Can you recommend an oil free compressor that's not too loud that will get the job done?

tuscarora dave
10-06-2011, 01:01 AM
Getting quiet operation and higher CFM ratings typically costs a boatload of money like thousands. The tradeoff for a less costly compressor is noise and less reliability. I am looking around for something to recommend. Does it need to be portable and how big gallons wise is too big?

DHCrocks
10-06-2011, 01:17 AM
get an oil lubed compressor, they are more queit then oil less ones. The down side is that you can not lay it down on the side it must always be upright.

tuscarora dave
10-06-2011, 01:45 AM
get an oil lubed compressor, they are more queit then oil less ones. The down side is that you can not lay it down on the side it must always be upright.
I agree with DHCrocks but if it must be oilless this should do the trick but at 88db noise level 1.8 HP, 17 Gallon, 150 PSI Oilless Air Compressor (http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/air-compressors/18-hp-17-gallon-150-psi-oilless-air-compressor-68066.html)

or if you're more the high quality tool type of guy this one should do but there is no info on the noise level Air Compressor, 120 V, 1.8 HP, 6 Gal Tank - Portable Electric Air Compressors - Air Compressors and Vacuum Pumps - 1NNE7 : Grainger Industrial Supply (http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/SPEEDAIRE-Portable-Air-Compressor-1NNE7?Pid=search)

tuscarora dave
10-06-2011, 01:57 AM
Then if you are a BIG spender you could go with the mac daddy of silent oil-less compressors. http://www.silentaire.com/silentaire/images/pdfs/2009/DA%202%20Tandem%20OIL%20FREE%20Brochure.pdf

Mobile detail
10-06-2011, 02:32 AM
I have been researching compressors and lately fir the money most have been complete crap unless you want to spend some money. I have had a porter cable 6hp 8.3 cfm at40 psi 25 gal for 10 years that I got at lowes and it is by far the most powerful and reliable one i have had that is electric and oil less. I also have a 6 gal pancake that is craftsman that I use for mobile detailing that has been decent. I got the pancake for 189 out the door. It's nit the quietest but I can blow out mf disks and pads and run my tornador for a good amount of time. If space/mobile is an issue I would rec the craftsman. The pc cost around $400-500 if you can find it ( which I haven't been able to) and would highly rec that. I can run my tornador and paints sray gun continuesly along with my air tools. It's not that loud either. Oil lubes are nice because they are queiter and easier to rebuild but do require maintenance. I haven't found one that is reasonable priced with the same specs as the pc. Most I have seen are around 1-2 hp. I have also used gas powered units but that is a whole different league. Hope this helps

PorscheGuy997
10-06-2011, 03:13 AM
Is there a particular reason you were looking for an oil-less compressor?

Blowing out pads on the fly does not require a ton of cfm to complete the job. A simple pancake compressor would work fine.

If away from my garage, I tend to brush out the pad a few times and just grab a clean one. Then, I clean all the pads at one time. If I shut off my compressor at 100 psi, I can thoroughly clean six pads without needing to fire it back up again. Albeit, my compressor is thirteen times larger than the one you listed.

I have looked at some of the small Makita compressors for mobile work, particularly the MAC700. It is oil lubed (what you want) and puts out 3.3 cfm@ 90, which is not too shabby. Plus, it runs about $50 cheaper than the one originally listed.

Just to add, both oil-lubed and oil-less compressors should never be placed on their side. Also, forget about the performance at 40 psi. If you intend on using the compressor with any tool, that rating is totally useless. It's nothing more than a marketing tool. Almost all tools are rated at 90 psi.

Mobile detail
10-06-2011, 03:39 AM
Is there a particular reason you were looking for an oil-less compressor?

Blowing out pads on the fly does not require a ton of cfm to complete the job. A simple pancake compressor would work fine.

:iagree:

If away from my garage, I tend to brush out the pad a few times and just grab a clean one. Then, I clean all the pads at one time.

I have looked at some of the small Makita compressors for mobile work, particularly the MAC700. It is oil lubed (what you want) and puts out 3.3 cfm@ 90, which is not too shabby. Plus, it runs about $50 cheaper than the one originally listed.

My only thought about that is ya that is enough to blow out pads but it limits yourself in terms of tools and add ons suchs as the tornador.

Just to add, both oil-lubed and oil-less compressors should never be placed on their side. Also, forget about the performance at 40 psi. If you intend on using the compressor with any tool, that rating is totally useless. It's nothing more than a marketing tool. Almost all tools are rated at 90 psi.
I run my air tools at 90-110 psi as well you just need a machine that can supply the required cfm to run them. Some of my bigger impacts call for 6-7 cfm and my sprayer calls for almost 8cfm.
If you are solely after to compressor thats primary use is to blow out pads and nothing more then most cheap ones will work. I personally dontsee the point in limiting my self to a low cfm compressor. Jmo but you make very valid points!

WRAPT C5Z06
10-06-2011, 08:48 AM
How about this one? 5.2 CFM @ 90psi.

I will using it 90% of the time to blow out pads.

What's the decibel level of the MAC700?

Amazon.com: DEWALT D55146 4-1/2-Gallon 200-PSI Hand Carry Compressor with Wheels: Home Improvement (http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-D55146-2-Gallon-200-PSI-Compressor/dp/B000HZJLV2)

tuscarora dave
10-06-2011, 10:33 AM
Most of these small tank air compressors are really only suitable for operating nail guns, staple guns and the like because these type of tools do not use much air at any given moment. When you get into using a constant flow of air such as when blowing the spent polish/removed paint material from a pad or even blowing the dirt out of seat tracks or off of the dash you often times are using more air than what the compressor pump can resupply the tank with so you lose pressure rather quickly as you are relying on the stored compressed air in the tank and not the air that the pump creates to get the job done.

Your best bet is to choose a tool (the air nozzle) that you will use to blow the pad clean and determine the CFM (cubic feet per minute) that the tool uses and match the compressor to the tool. The tank size is an important consideration because to dislodge the stuck on slurry of spent polish/removed paint you will be relying on "both" the rated CFM of the tool and a certain amount of pressure. With small tanks you quickly lose the pressure part of the needed combination of the two, essentially leaving you with plenty of air flow with not enough pressure to dislodge the crud from the pad and the result is that you have to stop and wait for the pump to re pressurize the tank to finish the job.

One sure way to get around the small tank issue is to first thoroughly brush the pad to dislodge the stuck on contaminants and then use your air nozzle to blow out the dislodged particles.

This is why when shopping for air compressors you only see images of construction workers using nail guns and staple guns with these small tank type air compressors because that's what they are designed to be used for and they can't efficiently handle anything more demanding.

tuscarora dave
10-06-2011, 11:13 AM
Mark, this may shed some light on the compressor that you should get to perform the job you are wanting to do. Some good info on this site.

Compressor-sizing. (http://www.about-air-compressors.com/Compressor-sizing.html)

C. Charles Hahn
10-06-2011, 11:26 AM
oil free compressor that's not too loud

Good luck with that!

Pretty much every oilless compressor I've ever run across is significantly louder than an oiled compressor.

Karim Khan
10-06-2011, 12:03 PM
Hey guys since we are talking about air compressors i would like to know purchase this unit D55168 1.6 HP Continuous, 200 PSI, 15 Gallon Workshop Compressor | DEWALT Tools (http://www.dewalt.com/tools/compressors-wheeled-portable---electric-d55168.aspx). Its a vertical unit. I would like to know if i can transport this unit horizontally as i do not have space in my vehicle to carry it in the vertical position. Would there be any implications ????