PDA

View Full Version : Calling All Air Compressor Experts...

Pages : 1 [2] 3

WRAPT C5Z06
10-06-2011, 12:25 PM
Ok everyone, at the minimum, what CFM @ 90 psi and gallon size am I looking for to blow out any pad without having to brush them first?

Thanks!

Great info, Dave! Thank you!

Most of these small tank air compressors are really only suitable for operating nail guns, staple guns and the like because these type of tools do not use much air at any given moment. When you get into using a constant flow of air such as when blowing the spent polish/removed paint material from a pad or even blowing the dirt out of seat tracks or off of the dash you often times are using more air than what the compressor pump can resupply the tank with so you lose pressure rather quickly as you are relying on the stored compressed air in the tank and not the air that the pump creates to get the job done.

Your best bet is to choose a tool (the air nozzle) that you will use to blow the pad clean and determine the CFM (cubic feet per minute) that the tool uses and match the compressor to the tool. The tank size is an important consideration because to dislodge the stuck on slurry of spent polish/removed paint you will be relying on "both" the rated CFM of the tool and a certain amount of pressure. With small tanks you quickly lose the pressure part of the needed combination of the two, essentially leaving you with plenty of air flow with not enough pressure to dislodge the crud from the pad and the result is that you have to stop and wait for the pump to re pressurize the tank to finish the job.

One sure way to get around the small tank issue is to first thoroughly brush the pad to dislodge the stuck on contaminants and then use your air nozzle to blow out the dislodged particles.

This is why when shopping for air compressors you only see images of construction workers using nail guns and staple guns with these small tank type air compressors because that's what they are designed to be used for and they can't efficiently handle anything more demanding.

Great info, Dave! Thank you!

Mobile detail
10-06-2011, 03:38 PM
Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00915216000P?prdNo=9&blockNo=9&blockType=G9)

This is what I use and it works fine for blowing and tornador in intervals, not constantly

mark58
10-06-2011, 04:30 PM
With the specs of this compressor, does it have enough power to thoroughly blow out Microfiber, wool, and foam pads? Please only answer if you're educated on this subject. Thanks.

GMC Power Equipment GMC SYCLONE 4610A Ultra Quiet & Oil-Free Air Compressor (Twin Aluminum Tank) | Wayfair (http://www.wayfair.com/GMC-Power-Equipment-GMC-SYCLONE-4610A-Ultra-Quiet-and-Oil-Free-Air-Compressor-Twin-Aluminum-Tank-SYCLONE-4610A-GMC1008.html?refid=AC49-GMC1008)

YES it does. Since most of your small compressors have a 3-8 gallon tank and working pressure is between 90 to 120 PSI you have plenty of air in the tank to clean your pads. Air blow guns are set at 30 PSI (OSHA Regulation) you have plenty of time to clean your pads. Now, you will not be able to run many air tools for any length of time since most of the small air tools require 3-5 CFM at 60psi. You can still run them but not continuously.
To clean your pads any compressor with 3-5 gallon tank will work in the range from $80.00 on up.

3 Gallon Air Compressor - 1/3 HP, 100 PSI, Oilless (http://www.harborfreight.com/1-3-hp-3-gallon-100-psi-oilless-air-compressor-97080.html)
This will work just fine for your needs at only $60.00 plus hose and air nozzle.

Why buy an elephant when small pony will do the job!,,,LOL

aerogt01
10-06-2011, 08:30 PM
Hey guys since we are talking about air compressors i would like to know purchase this unit D55168 1.6 HP Continuous, 200 PSI, 15 Gallon Workshop Compressor | DEWALT Tools (http://www.dewalt.com/tools/compressors-wheeled-portable---electric-d55168.aspx). Its a vertical unit. I would like to know if i can transport this unit horizontally as i do not have space in my vehicle to carry it in the vertical position. Would there be any implications ????

Yes, and no.

Karim Khan
10-06-2011, 09:21 PM
Yes, and no.

Hey Kevin ,, what may be the possible implications ???

aerogt01
10-06-2011, 09:39 PM
Yes you can transport it horizontally, and no there would not be any implication. Theoretically you could run it horizontally, but I would not recommend it.

WRAPT C5Z06
10-07-2011, 12:44 AM
YES it does. Since most of your small compressors have a 3-8 gallon tank and working pressure is between 90 to 120 PSI you have plenty of air in the tank to clean your pads. Air blow guns are set at 30 PSI (OSHA Regulation) you have plenty of time to clean your pads. Now, you will not be able to run many air tools for any length of time since most of the small air tools require 3-5 CFM at 60psi. You can still run them but not continuously.
To clean your pads any compressor with 3-5 gallon tank will work in the range from $80.00 on up.

3 Gallon Air Compressor - 1/3 HP, 100 PSI, Oilless (http://www.harborfreight.com/1-3-hp-3-gallon-100-psi-oilless-air-compressor-97080.html)
This will work just fine for your needs at only $60.00 plus hose and air nozzle.

Why buy an elephant when small pony will do the job!,,,LOL
:props:

Karim Khan
10-07-2011, 08:54 AM
Yes you can transport it horizontally, and no there would not be any implication. Theoretically you could run it horizontally, but I would not recommend it.

thanks for the info, I intend to transport it Horizontally but when using it i will position it in its vertical position.

jfelbab
10-07-2011, 09:22 AM
Is there a particular reason you were looking for an oil-less compressor?

Blowing out pads on the fly does not require a ton of cfm to complete the job. A simple pancake compressor would work fine.

If away from my garage, I tend to brush out the pad a few times and just grab a clean one. Then, I clean all the pads at one time. If I shut off my compressor at 100 psi, I can thoroughly clean six pads without needing to fire it back up again. Albeit, my compressor is thirteen times larger than the one you listed.

I have looked at some of the small Makita compressors for mobile work, particularly the MAC700. It is oil lubed (what you want) and puts out 3.3 cfm@ 90, which is not too shabby. Plus, it runs about $50 cheaper than the one originally listed.

Just to add, both oil-lubed and oil-less compressors should never be placed on their side. Also, forget about the performance at 40 psi. If you intend on using the compressor with any tool, that rating is totally useless. It's nothing more than a marketing tool. Almost all tools are rated at 90 psi.

I own the Makita Big Bore MAC700 2 HP compressor and for cleaning pads its great. Seems well constructed and is very quiet and portable. I'd recommend this compressor without hesitation.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61x8JKv2ezS._AA1000_.jpg

Rez90
10-07-2011, 10:06 AM
Go big or go home :-)

oldmodman
10-07-2011, 02:22 PM
Go big or go home :-)

You mean something like this?

Ingersoll Rand screw air compressor__Ingersoll Rand (http://en.ircomp.org/product_2_show5.asp)

A friend is running two of these in his shop, plus the refrigerated dryer along with them.
They are outside in a special shed with forced air cooling.
250 psi at 750cfm.

C. Charles Hahn
10-07-2011, 04:36 PM
You mean something like this?

Ingersoll Rand screw air compressor__Ingersoll Rand (http://en.ircomp.org/product_2_show5.asp)

A friend is running two of these in his shop, plus the refrigerated dryer along with them.
They are outside in a special shed with forced air cooling.
250 psi at 750cfm.

That must be one huge shop! Talk about tons of air... wow.

Hoytman
10-07-2011, 05:21 PM
I've got a descent sized portable air tank Mark. I use it for pumping up tires. It's good for about 1 mid-sized lawn mower tire then it's off to get more air. Pain in the neck because I don't own my own air compressor.

I've got quick access to no less than 3 small )pan cake type air compressors. They can work, however, here's a question I think you should consider Mark.

Do you want to blow out several pads, up 8-12 or more, without having to listen to a compressor? OR, do you want to listen to one of those guttless wonders run all of the time? Will you use it for anything else like blowing out the garage where large volumes of air are needed? If you're not sure look around at friends house before buying your own.

Sure they (pan cake, small single and double tank models) work great for for blowing out 1-3 pads at a time if your lucky, then they're off and running....constantly. If you don't mind, it's not a big deal.

I still don't think you'll be satisfied long term, like 5-10 years down the road.

If I were you though I'd follow Dave's advice to a "T" and go with his suggestions, then buy yourself a descent sized portable airtank as well. You can never own to big of an air compressor...ever...and air tanks have a place too.

Kristopher1129
10-07-2011, 07:18 PM
Wow! That's a lot of money for no power at all, ha. Screw being quiet...go for power!

331TwistedWedge
10-07-2011, 10:03 PM
With the specs of this compressor, does it have enough power to thoroughly blow out Microfiber, wool, and foam pads? Please only answer if you're educated on this subject. Thanks.

GMC Power Equipment GMC SYCLONE 4610A Ultra Quiet & Oil-Free Air Compressor (Twin Aluminum Tank) | Wayfair (http://www.wayfair.com/GMC-Power-Equipment-GMC-SYCLONE-4610A-Ultra-Quiet-and-Oil-Free-Air-Compressor-Twin-Aluminum-Tank-SYCLONE-4610A-GMC1008.html?refid=AC49-GMC1008)

all you want to do is simply blow out some pads? ... this will be more than enough to do so ... i ported a set of heads and port matched an intake with exactly what you have listed ... sure i had to wait for it to pump back up, but that took 15 seconds only filling 2 small tanks ...

air pressure is air pressure ... 110 psi is 110 psi, it doesnt matter if that psi comes from a 4 gallon tank or a 4000 gallon tank ... the 4000 gallon tank will blow the 110 psi longer, but you're only looking to blow out some pads ...