PDA

View Full Version : Valpak advertising....

Pages : [1] 2

Kristopher1129
03-25-2011, 02:17 PM
Hey guys. Just wanted to run this by my AG buddies. I had a sit down meeting with a Valpak rep today. I'm sure all of you, if not most of you...are familiar with Valpak.

They want to set me up on a $410 a month plan. They send out those little blue envelopes to 10,000 homes, and inside would be a coupon advertisement with deals of my choosing to Northeast Detailing. If I break it down...$410 sounds like a lot, but really isn't. I could make that back in two middle level service details. I also have the opportunity to back out after 6 months if I feel it's not working out.

SO, the whole point of this post...is to find out who has taken this route with Valpak. Any of you guys do business with them?? If so, I would like to know if it works for you or not.

PLEASE GIVE FEEDBACK IF YOU USE VALPAK. Your feedback may very well be what sways me to either do this, or turn it down. Thanks, you guys rule. Every time I need feedback you guys come through. :dblthumb2::dblthumb2::dblthumb2::dblthumb2:

Flash Gordon
03-25-2011, 02:26 PM
They go straight from my mailbox to the round file cabinet here

Spicy McHaggis
03-25-2011, 02:35 PM
I don't think it would be a total waste. I know for a fact my mom, and fiance both go through them when they come. I'm not saying they use anything out of them, but people do read them, especially in these economic times when everyone is trying to save a buck.

Kristopher1129
03-25-2011, 04:30 PM
I don't think it would be a total waste. I know for a fact my mom, and fiance both go through them when they come. I'm not saying they use anything out of them, but people do read them, especially in these economic times when everyone is trying to save a buck.

That's what I was thinking. Even I go through them, and have used them from time to time. And I'm no regular coupon user by any means. I was just hoping somebody had done some advertising with them, and maybe could give me some insight on whether or not it works well with detailing.

I can't imagine I wouldn't get the $410 worth of jobs back if I offer a good deal. Then everything after those first two details is strictly profit. I mean who knows, I may end up with 10-20 of these redeemed back to every month. There's 10,000 of them going out every month...so I can't imagine I wouldn't get much more than 2 back every month. I've basically gotten nowhere on this decision so far!! haha

Bunky
03-25-2011, 05:44 PM
Hey guys. Just wanted to run this by my AG buddies. I had a sit down meeting with a Valpak rep today. I'm sure all of you, if not most of you...are familiar with Valpak.

They want to set me up on a $410 a month plan. They send out those little blue envelopes to 10,000 homes, and inside would be a coupon advertisement with deals of my choosing to Northeast Detailing. If I break it down...$410 sounds like a lot, but really isn't. I could make that back in two middle level service details. I also have the opportunity to back out after 6 months if I feel it's not working out.

SO, the whole point of this post...is to find out who has taken this route with Valpak. Any of you guys do business with them?? If so, I would like to know if it works for you or not.

PLEASE GIVE FEEDBACK IF YOU USE VALPAK. Your feedback may very well be what sways me to either do this, or turn it down. Thanks, you guys rule. Every time I need feedback you guys come through. :dblthumb2::dblthumb2::dblthumb2::dblthumb2:

It sounds like you have signed up for $2460 (6 months) and you are saying you would need 12 to break even?

I bet Valpak knows the feedback percentage but they would not tell you...let you take the chance. I suspect it is quite low but that should not be unexpected. The other aspect is demographics.

Kristopher1129
03-25-2011, 05:48 PM
It sounds like you have signed up for $2460 (6 months) and you are saying you would need 12 to break even?

I bet Valpak knows the feedback percentage but they would not tell you...let you take the chance. I suspect it is quite low but that should not be unexpected. The other aspect is demographics.

Well, I haven't signed up for anything yet. I don't like the hefty price tag at all. It's just ridiculously pricey for a simple coupon in the mail IMO. That's why I'm looking for feedback first.

But, it seems like maybe nobody has experience using Valpak...which makes me just want to opt out on the deal. I'm not gonna take a chance with $2460 of my money. That would be nuts, ha. If they offered me some sort of guarantee that I would at least make my money back...then I'd do it. But I doubt they'll do that.

Spicy McHaggis
03-25-2011, 06:30 PM
I remember a teacher in a marketing class I took said the response from random mailers/handouts is 1 job for every 1000 flyers. But I could be remembering that wrong.

A4 1.8tqm
03-25-2011, 07:01 PM
I agree with Flash, they go straight to the trash. :D

Out of the 10,000 who receive the valpaks, how many actually look through them at all? Of those who do, how many would be interested in a detail if they saw your offer? Then, how many of the remaining people will follow through and actually end up getting work done. Lots of variables, I don't know the answer but have a feeling the respose will be minimal at best.

I bet you could generate more business by making really nice full color, glossy fliers (like post card size) and putting them on little stands by the register at local gas stations, auto shops and other automotive-related business's (or at any business, assuming they let you, maybe kick the owner 20 bucks or something). Add "present this card to receive a discount" or whatever, so you know if it's actually working.

It probably wouldn't cost more than a few hundred dollars and might give you a better chance to actually reach potential customers in the market for a detail. Just a thought :dblthumb2:

Kristopher1129
03-25-2011, 07:07 PM
I agree with Flash, they go straight to the trash. :D

Out of the 10,000 who receive the valpaks, how many actually look through them at all? Of those who do, how many would be interested in a detail if they saw your offer? Then, how many of the remaining people will follow through and actually end up getting work done. Lots of variables, I don't know the answer but have a feeling the respose will be minimal at best.

I bet you could generate more business by making really nice full color, glossy fliers (like post card size) and putting them on little stands by the register at local gas stations, auto shops and other automotive-related business's (or at any business, assuming they let you, maybe kick the owner 20 bucks or something). Add "present this card to receive a discount" or whatever, so you know if it's actually working.

It probably wouldn't cost more than a few hundred dollars and might give you a better chance to actually reach potential customers in the market for a detail. Just a thought :dblthumb2:

Yeah, I hear ya man. I actually have 250 full color brochures made. I plan on handing those out like crazy and drumming up some business for the mobile addition to my shop. I'll probably just pass on this deal for now. At least until I can afford to gamble almost 3 grand in 6 months, haha.

Kristopher1129
03-25-2011, 07:08 PM
I remember a teacher in a marketing class I took said the response from random mailers/handouts is 1 job for every 1000 flyers. But I could be remembering that wrong.

Yeah, if that is true...that wouldn't be enough for me to follow through with Valpak. I'll pass on it for now. I just thought maybe it would be a good way to boost my mobile service this year. But, I've got brochures to hand out anyways. Thanks man. :xyxthumbs:

mswerb
03-25-2011, 07:12 PM
I actually got mine in the mail today, and straight to the trash. The reason for this is that the same ads are in it each time I get it, making it pointless to look at.

A4 1.8tqm
03-25-2011, 07:13 PM
Yeah, I hear ya man. I actually have 250 full color brochures made. I plan on handing those out like crazy...

It's like what my Grandpa said to me when I told him I got new business cards made for myself...

"Well, it doesn't do any good if you have them!" LOL Good luck!

Bunky
03-25-2011, 07:16 PM
I may be unique but I usually skim through the coupons. I have only see one coupon in many years related to detailing. I do not know if that is good or bad but many home improvement places seem to use Valuepak so they must be working for some.

Flash Gordon
03-25-2011, 07:29 PM
Yeah, I hear ya man. I actually have 250 full color brochures made. I plan on handing those out like crazy and drumming up some business for the mobile addition to my shop. I'll probably just pass on this deal for now. At least until I can afford to gamble almost 3 grand in 6 months, haha.

Kris, I think you would be alot better off passing out these flyers then valupak. Better yet, pay your GF to pass them out

Kristopher1129
03-25-2011, 07:29 PM
It's like what my Grandpa said to me when I told him I got new business cards made for myself...

"Well, it doesn't do any good if you have them!" LOL Good luck!

True that, haha. I've just had my hands full between setting up my van, and trying to put a new sign on the roof of my shop...AND trying to get the work done. I'm going to have to literally just schedule some days off to get all this done.