PDA

View Full Version : Shipping peanuts and static electricity

Pages : [1] 2 3

DonMTV
01-21-2010, 10:28 PM
Hey all,
I have about 3 70 gallon garbage bags filled with peanuts I have gotten in the many shipments I have received from Auto Geek since this summer. Any ideas on what to do with them? Plus, how can I stop the peanuts from clinging to everything?

I know, it is a crazy problem to have. LOL. I guess that is what I get for getting several boxes a week in the last month. Damn deals and discounts.

Don

agpatel
01-21-2010, 10:38 PM
Some shipping places will take them off your hands as they can use them.

petbottle
01-22-2010, 12:32 AM
I have a bag and half at the moment, myself.

It would be nice if Auto Geek switched to a more environmentally friendly packaging material. Kraft paper can be recycled and there are other kinds of "peanuts" that dissolve in water, but the styrofoam variety are likely only reused once or twice (if at all) before ending up in a trash heap somewhere.

Pie
01-22-2010, 01:33 AM
I hate packaging peanuts. Annoying to dispose of. I wouldn't mind if AG just used newspaper, at least I can throw it in the my recycle bin.

I'm in CA btw. I know some states don't have a recycle program like CA.

02blackout
01-22-2010, 02:29 AM
Hahaha wow the static drives me crazy. When I get a box from AG I just cut it open and gently dump everything everything out cause I just love seeing what I bought. Afterwards, cleaning up all the crushed and full peanuts is INSANE. I thought about complaining once but eh, who cares lol

zinc02gt
01-22-2010, 02:38 AM
I just pick the items out of the box. Yeah it takes a few moments to dig, but I'd rather my stuff be packed correctly and undamaged than half-assed and busted.

I find that the easiest and cleanest way. All you have to do then is close the box up and toss it out.

jpegs13
01-22-2010, 06:43 AM
It's a good look for me.....6'3" 220 lbs, wrestling with a .005oz peanut. Seems there's always one... SOMEPLACE

loudog2
01-22-2010, 06:49 AM
spray the peanuts with static guard before digging through them.

Old Tiger
01-22-2010, 07:43 AM
I hate packaging peanuts. Annoying to dispose of. I wouldn't mind if AG just used newspaper, at least I can throw it in the my recycle bin.

I'm in CA btw. I know some states don't have a recycle program like CA.
This post is spot on!
AG should consider packing paper like Griots. Bio Peanuts like Detailed Image or inflated plastic like Amazon. Meghan, if you read this thread, please talk to Max.

This is my only gripe with AG's operation!
I others agree, please post!

Gary Sword
01-22-2010, 08:00 AM
I ship a lot of stuff out and recycle the peanuts all the time. If anyone don't what their peanuts they can ship them to me. I don't want AG to stop using peanuts.

tyler84
01-22-2010, 09:10 AM
Regular peanuts are much cheaper than the bio peanuts. I ship a lot of stuff and depending on how much paper you use it can really add to the total shipping weight of a package. Any UPS store will also take them for free, also many businesses or people that ship would be happy to recycle them as well.

DLB
01-22-2010, 09:19 AM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/18697-autogeek-s-packing-material-meghan-max.html

This has been round and round.

DLB

sqeekykleen
01-22-2010, 09:26 AM
When you place an order you can ask / request not to have the peanuts used. Place in comments section. They will use a package paper which you will be able to recycle. I used it last time I placed on order, (finally remembered to request paper). Worked out great. The items were in the box and they didn't move around / leak, etc. I'll use this in the future, as long as I remember. Maybe AG could put it into there system who uses / requests paper over peanuts?

jpegs13
01-22-2010, 09:48 AM
We have too much free time, we talking about peanuts.......

DonMTV
01-22-2010, 10:40 AM
I don't mind the peanuts at all. I was just looking for suggestions on what I could do with them. I had thought about asking a shipping store if they would like to have them. What gets me is the static cling. So the suggestion of Cling Guard is a good one.

As someone said above I would rather have the items we buy completely protected by the peanuts then using another type of item and have issues. I have never had any problems with the boxes that I have received.

Don