PDA

View Full Version : Need some help

Pages : [1] 2 3

longbal30
12-02-2009, 08:00 AM
Ok, I have a 2008 black f350 dually crew cab, before I bought it, the previous owner used it for about a year to haul cars to Jersey from Maryland on the regular. Believe it or not, in the year he owned it, he did not wash it 1 time. When I recieved the truck, it took me and my father 17 hours of washing, scrubbing to get it to resemble a 2008 truck again. When it is washed and hand waxed it looks pretty good, but as soon as it rains or something and the truck needs to get washed again, it looks soso unless you wax it. I washed it over the weekend and dried it with a shamy, went out and parked it with the sun coming down on the driver side. I looked it over and was horrified. There are so many little fine scratches (cobwebbing), and the black just doesnt look black, it looks almost like a greyish black. At night its pretty good, but day it horrible. What do I do? I paint on the side as a hobby, mostly motorcycles with custom stuff. I tried to clay bar it, then used a 3m micro compound, a 3m polish and then had carnuba wax. It looked decent, but not even close to some of the stuff I have seen on here. Can you help me?

SRHTX
12-02-2009, 08:14 AM
Well, I did see that you clayed the F-350. I have done the exact truck a few weeks ago. This is what it tooked like before:

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r269/srhtx/Ford/2008%20F-350%204x4%20Dully/Before/DSCF0360-1.jpg

After I washed and clayed it, I did a compound on it using Meguiars 105. The pad I used was an orange one since I did not have this pad:

Foamed Wool 6.5 x 1 Thick Polishing / Buffing Pad (http://www.autogeek.net/lc-foam-wool-pads.html)

If I had the purple pad, at that time, the paint would have looked wonderful and quicker. After i used the 105, I switched to Megs 205. Here is what it looked like after:

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r269/srhtx/Ford/2008%20F-350%204x4%20Dully/DSCF0359.jpg

Question, how well did you clay the truck? What was the order in which you detailed the exterior of the truck?

longbal30
12-02-2009, 05:02 PM
I clayed it pretty well , took me 2 hours. I washed, clayed, used 3m perfect it 3000applied with a random orbital buffer black pad, then moved to another black pad with 3m polish, then hand waxed.

sullysdetailing
12-02-2009, 05:25 PM
Are you looking for full correction or just getting the color back into the paint?

SRHTX
12-02-2009, 08:30 PM
Do you have pictures of that truck?

longbal30
12-02-2009, 08:48 PM
I will post some pics of the truck tomorrow, it's raining here all day. I want it back to new or better. Is it a lost cause?

SRHTX
12-02-2009, 09:00 PM
I will post some pics of the truck tomorrow, it's raining here all day. I want it back to new or better. Is it a lost cause?

Never think that since the truck is fine. We just need to see pictures of the truck to assist you as well as we can. :props:

Steven C
12-02-2009, 09:24 PM
One of the first problems is pad selection . The 2 pads you use are finishing pads and aren't aggressive enough for what you are tring to accomplish. Along with Pics a list a you supplies would help .Buffers, Pads (color) Compound(type & Maker). You have come to the right place for help & You will learn alot & ask question whenever you not sure off something ,there's alot people here that will help accomplish your goal which totally withen your grasp .

:props:Feed back please

Steven

SRHTX
12-02-2009, 09:32 PM
One of the first problems is pad selection . The 2 pads you use are finishing pads and aren't aggressive enough for what you are tring to accomplish. Along with Pics a list a you supplies would help .Buffers, Pads (color) Compound(type & Maker). You have come to the right place for help & You will learn alot & ask question whenever you not sure off something ,there's alot people here that will help accomplish your goal which totally withen your grasp .

:props:Feed back please

Steven

:iagree: :whs: There are some things I wish to say but, I'm waiting to see what the truck looks like. I'm wanting to advise him all the same products I've mentioned the past few times since it has always worked for me the past month.

sullysdetailing
12-02-2009, 09:57 PM
Try this out:
M105 or similar with Orange LC Pad
M205 or similar with White LC Pad
PO85U or similar with Gray or Blue LC Pad

This should be able to get your truck looking way better then new.

What DA do you have?

PAR Detailing
12-02-2009, 10:13 PM
Try this out:

M105 or similar with White LC Pad

Just for clarifications, I think he means M205 instead of 105 right there. Ill let him tell you, ive seen his work and he is darn good and Im not trying to put words in his mouth but I think its M205 that he means
Peace
Jon

sullysdetailing
12-02-2009, 10:28 PM
Just for clarifications, I think he means M205 instead of 105 right there. Ill let him tell you, ive seen his work and he is darn good and Im not trying to put words in his mouth but I think its M205 that he means
Peace
Jon

Ya I fixed it. Sorry about that

longbal30
12-03-2009, 09:17 AM
This is what I am dealing with. What can I do?

sullysdetailing
12-03-2009, 11:38 AM
What Da do you have?

I would recommend getting the Porter Cable XP or Griot Garage.

Try this out:
M105 or similar with Orange LC Pad
M205 or similar with White LC Pad
PO85U or similar with Gray or Blue LC Pad

I would recommend starting with the M205 or similar with white pad first. If that doesn't get the results you want switch to a orange pad and M205 if it still not what your looking for move up to M105 and Orange pad.

Mike Phillips
12-03-2009, 11:56 AM
One of the first problems is pad selection . The 2 pads you use are finishing pads and aren't aggressive enough for what you are trying to accomplish.

Steven

Correctamundo...

I've take the liberty to download one of your photos and then uploaded it into your gallery so I can "Insert" it into this thread so everyone can see it better.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/swirlsinblacktruck1.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/swirlsinblacktruck.jpg

These are called cobweb or spiderweb swirls. In order to remove them you need to remove some paint and level the surface.

Shawn listed some products and pads that will do the job but the key is having a polisher that will be powerful enough to do the job. I think a couple people have asked you already which type of polisher you have?

If you're new to forums that's great, they're so handing for learning and solving problems. Don't take this the wrong way as I wrote this article to help people help themselves...

How to write a good title for your thread (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/introduce-yourself/20306-how-write-good-title-your-post.html)

And whenever I write I write for the bigger picture, so not just you but for anyone that's a member that's going to post their own thread or for all the Lurkers that will someday join this forum or any forum and write a tittle for their thread.

:)