PDA

View Full Version : New Car Want to buy a few products and I need Advice

Pages : [1] 2

mavven77
11-12-2009, 06:07 PM
Hi all, first and foremost I would like to say hello. I am a new member here and I would like to thank everyone in advance for helping me out with your opinions.

I have a 2009 Honda accord sedan. It is brand new, the color is called Bold Beige Metallic. I have had the car 3 weeks and have not been able to do much to the car, just was able to wash it with some Meg's car wash. I would eventually like to purchase a DA polisher to work on the car correctly but I am on a very tight budget at the moment.

I have exactly $98.00 dollars to spend on products and I would like to order them this evening from Autogeek. Please keep in mind that everything that I purchase is going to be applied by hand and not with a machine. I would like to know from some of the more experienced people on this forum what they recommend I purchase.

I would like to have the car protected properly for the upcoming cold winters here in NY...

T Riddle
11-12-2009, 06:16 PM
Hi all, first and foremost I would like to say hello. I am a new member here and I would like to thank everyone in advance for helping me out with your opinions.

I have a 2009 Honda accord sedan. It is brand new, the color is called Bold Beige Metallic. I have had the car 3 weeks and have not been able to do much to the car, just was able to wash it with some Meg's car wash. I would eventually like to purchase a DA polisher to work on the car correctly but I am on a very tight budget at the moment.

I have exactly $98.00 dollars to spend on products and I would like to order them this evening from Autogeek. Please keep in mind that everything that I purchase is going to be applied by hand and not with a machine. I would like to know from some of the more experienced people on this forum what they recommend I purchase.

I would like to have the car protected properly for the upcoming cold winters here in NY...

DP Maxwax is on sale for $20 through tomorrow I believe..... I think you would be very happy with it for the price. Also Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant is IMO the way to go for winter. Both will look great on that color as your Last Step Product. Definitely need a small bottle of No Rinse wash of some sort. I prefer the DP Rinse less Wash N Glo. I would suggest picking up some FK 425 and a couple good Cobra Towels. All that combined will just about eat up your $98. But would get you to a very good start.

CEE DOG
11-12-2009, 06:21 PM
The guys will need more info to give good advice. Like what kind of products you already have. I think if you need to spend a chunk of money on other products then this is the protectant you want for a song. Haven't used it myself though.

With limited funds this looks nice for the winter protectant
-Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax #845 14.99$

Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax #845 FREE BONUS (http://www.autogeek.net/collinite-insulator-wax-845.html)

mavven77
11-12-2009, 06:26 PM
The guys will need a lot more info to give good advice. Like what kind of products you already have. Did you get the car new or in new condition, etc but I think if you need to spend a chunk of money on other products then this is the protectant you want for a song. Haven't used it myself though.

With limited funds this looks nice for the winter protectant
-Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax #845 14.99$

Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax #845 FREE BONUS (http://www.autogeek.net/collinite-insulator-wax-845.html)

I have not used any products on the car, only thing I have done is wash the car with Meg's car wash soap. Car has been purchased brand new 3 weeks ago with 2 miles on it, I now have 1,057K on it.

sullysdetailing
11-12-2009, 06:39 PM
To wash the car I would get Mothers Wool Mit
For Soap I would use Megs Gold or DP Xtreme Foam Soap
For the Wheels P21S
For Paint Selant Wolfgang or Poorboys EX-P

mchess1
11-12-2009, 06:44 PM
DP Maxwax is on sale for $20 through tomorrow I believe..... I think you would be very happy with it for the price. Also Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant is IMO the way to go for winter. Both will look great on that color as your Last Step Product. Definitely need a small bottle of No Rinse wash of some sort. I prefer the DP Rinse less Wash N Glo. I would suggest picking up some FK 425 and a couple good Cobra Towels. All that combined will just about eat up your $98. But would get you to a very good start.

Lots of great products on T Riddle's list here. Can't go wrong following this advice.

Have heard great things about the durability of Collinite 845, but haven't tried it yet. Will be picking some up to keep the salt water at bay on my kayak hauling minivan.

CEE DOG
11-12-2009, 06:52 PM
Sorry, I should have read your entire post first-No skimming!

Assuming you already have MF wash mitts and MF waffle weave towels.
If not Cobra Blue Micro-Chenille Wash Mitt is 9.99 (is on bogo sometimes)

DP Universal Detailing Clay (On sale this week) 17.99
Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine (Use this as your clay lube) 15.99
ONR also works as a detailer spray
Optimum Instant Detailer (32 oz.) 19.99 MAYBE SKIP THIS ONE FOR NOW
303 Aerospace Protectant (For interior vinyl and for all seals and weatherseals) 12.99
A very light polish or paint cleaner suggested by others
One of the Sealants suggested by others

303 Aerospace Protectant 16 oz (http://www.autogeek.net/16oz.html)

The 303 is extremely versatile and has an spf 40. Apply to dash, vinyl, plastic, rubber seals, rubber hoses in the engine bay, windshield wipers, wiper blades, turn signal levers, car antennae, etc.
-My application method-
1.-If a surface is dirty clean & dry it first before applying the protectant.
2.-Spray a little 303 onto a foam applicator or an "edge foam swab applicator"
3.-Wipe it onto the surface (Quick, easy, & FUN!)
4.-After applying to surface wait 2 to 5 minutes from your start time.
5.-Thoroughly dry with a clean dry microfiber detailing towel using the same starting point.

mavven77
11-12-2009, 06:52 PM
What about this kit?

P21S Car Care Kit - P21s Car Care Valet Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/p21scarcarekit.html)

Please keep in mind this is all very new to me, I have always owned beater cars that were put through the dreaded car washes, now having a new car with a good paint job I would like to take care of the paint properly.

CEE DOG
11-12-2009, 06:56 PM
What about this kit?

P21S Car Care Kit - P21s Car Care Valet Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/p21scarcarekit.html)

Please keep in mind this is all very new to me, I have always owned beater cars that were put through the dreaded car washes, now having a new car with a good paint job I would like to take care of the paint properly.

Not sure about everything in that kit but P21 seems to be all quality goods!
Looks pretty good-No hands on experience for me though.

I agree on the megs gold for a great car wash soap at a great price!

I know exactly where your coming from! I always had cars that I bought for 1-3K in the past until April of this year. Congratulations to you-Enjoy your new car!

mavven77
11-12-2009, 07:18 PM

Please forgive me but I am a bit confused. If I decide to purchase what you are suggesting,am I purchasing both of the above products or do I just need one of the two mentioned?

CEE DOG
11-12-2009, 07:26 PM
One or the other see this link- waxes vs. sealants Carnauba Car Wax vs. Paint Sealants, carnauba wax reviews, paint sealant reviews (http://www.autogeek.net/qude101.html)

I like the Ultima Sealant myself but it's pricey

ml13
11-12-2009, 10:56 PM
If I were you, I would not try to purchase all cheapie products to try to cover your whole arsenal with $98. Just get what you need for now. Its a new car and right before winter, plus you have no buffer, so I would just do the following before winter sets in. I am assuming you have a good wash mitt to go with the megs wash. I would get a couple of the blue waffle weave drying towels for $10 they are on bogo. Only use these to dry your car, and avoid commercial car washes at all cost. I would also go with one of the rinse-less washes for the winter. Either the DP or Optimum ones are great. If your not sure what a rinse-less wash is or whats involved with the process, do a search on the forum and find out. I would wash the car, with your megs, and then clay the car. You can buy a clay bar locally at pep boys (Clay magic or mothers are fine) or get one on here. It will run you around $20. After claying the car, I would apply a paint cleanser of some type, in case the dealer waxed the car at some point. This will give you a nice clean surface before you add a wax or sealant. Any of the paint cleaners on here will work, and can be applied by hand. Something like the P21S Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser will both remove old wax and is a mild polishing agent so it will smooth out any swirls or imperfections your paint may have, to a small degree since your applying by hand, but it will serve its purpose and be a good product you can use again with your buffer once you get it and it will work even better when applied by machine, taking out more imperfections and swirls. Its about $15. Not bad. Next I would choose some type of LSP or last step product. This is your wax or sealant. I like to use a sealant for the winter, especially if your in an area that sees snow. You can use the search to compare the differences between waxes and sealants. You can also also top a sealant with a wax and have the best of both worlds, but on your budget I'd invest in a good sealant. Optimum opti-seal would be a good choice, its cheap and works well, and looks good. Its $24 on here. Plus it comes with a free gift, 4 foam applicators, which you will need if you don't have any. Any remaining money I had, I would use on another 4 microfiber towels to remove the paintwork cleaner and sealant with. Figure you would probably need at least 2 for each step. That should get you started pretty good. Id apply 2 layers of sealant for the winter and enjoy your shine.

mavven77
11-13-2009, 04:03 AM
This is what I ended up going with. Tell me what you think.

Shopping Cart (http://us-dc1-order.store.yahoo.net/cgi-bin/wg-order?ysco_key_event_id=&ysco_key_store_id=autogeek&sectionId=ysco.cart)

tuscarora dave
11-13-2009, 06:17 AM
The link shows your cart is empty. I am here in central Pa and they use a ton of road salt here in the winter, I use the #845 insulator wax from collinite and it lasts well into spring. I would suggest clay magic blue and #845 for your new purchase. Read up over the winter and in the spring maybe machine polishing the winters damage out of the paint using the knowlege you picked up by reading all winter.

Dwayne
11-13-2009, 11:09 AM
Since the shopping cart uses cookies, you can't show others what is in your cart by send a link, it will only work on your own computers where the cookies are.

To show others what is in your cart, you may copy and paste or take a screen shot and upload an image.