PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the Wheel Wells!!

Pages : [1] 2

AudiTTman
01-31-2009, 04:22 PM
For me, i just can't stand the looks of a beautiful clean car and then once you get to the wheel well area, your greeted with nasty, faded, ugly wells. Any wash or products out there that clean as a well and revitalize. Im not looking for like a trim restorer, just something that really deep cleans the well and gets them looking new.

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
01-31-2009, 04:23 PM
I will wash mine with an old MF and soap and water, then dress them with some cheap OTC tire shine spray.

AudiTTman
01-31-2009, 04:26 PM
see why dont i think of this!!! ahhahahahah. Josh you may just have to detail my car for me since i just can't seem to get a grasp on this whole cleaning thing ahhaha. My next question is how to pour a cup of water...............in a cup!

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
01-31-2009, 05:05 PM
Haha. I actually don't use a designed wheel cleaner. I just use a fresh bucket of car soap and water for the wheels and wells, then start with fresh soap and water for the body. I've been thinking of getting something like P21s wheel gel, but on a budget, I'd rather spend the money on pads, polishes etc, or MFs.

dublifecrisis
01-31-2009, 05:13 PM
i use dilluted simple green, spray, dwell, brush, rinse.

and yes good ole spray tire foam like armor all works 'well'.. get it? well. No i haven't started drinking yet.

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
01-31-2009, 05:16 PM
Haha...that was funny dub.

Harleyguy
01-31-2009, 06:14 PM
I also use the same method using a over the counter product.My truck is easy to get into the wheel wells.But the vette is a whole new adventure you can't even get your hand up in there very easy

ASPHALT ROCKET
01-31-2009, 06:32 PM
I also use the same method using a over the counter product.My truck is easy to get into the wheel wells.But the vette is a whole new adventure you can't even get your hand up in there very easy

Pull the wheels off at work and wipe them out and then dress them.

CharlesW
01-31-2009, 06:50 PM
I also use the same method using a over the counter product.My truck is easy to get into the wheel wells.But the vette is a whole new adventure you can't even get your hand up in there very easyWould a scrubber like this help?

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a259/CharlesEW/prod_41785-00348.jpg
I think it's meant to be a glass or cup scrubber, but the foam will compress quite bit to allow it to squeeze into some tight places. The foam is a lot like the foam on the Bug & Tar sponge AG sells. I use it a lot to clean the inside area of my wheels as well as for the wheel wells.
Much as I hate to shill for them, I think I got it at Walmart. :)

AudiTTman
01-31-2009, 07:01 PM
At first i thought it was a toilet bowl cleaner! WALMART HERE I COME!!!

ASPHALT ROCKET
01-31-2009, 07:03 PM
Would a scrubber like this help?

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a259/CharlesEW/prod_41785-00348.jpg
I think it's meant to be a glass or cup scrubber, but the foam will compress quite bit to allow it to squeeze into some tight places. The foam is a lot like the foam on the Bug & Tar sponge AG sells. I use it a lot to clean the inside area of my wheels as well as for the wheel wells.
Much as I hate to shill for them, I think I got it at Walmart. :)

That is going to need to be curved to reach the wells, so unfortunetly that will not work.

CharlesW
01-31-2009, 07:12 PM
At first i thought it was a toilet bowl cleaner! WALMART HERE I COME!!!I did try a toilet bowl brush, but it didn't work too good for me.

That is going to need to be curved to reach the wells, so unfortunetly that will not work.Maybe not for you and maybe not for everyone, but it works for me on a Pontiac GTP, Pontiac Montana, Chevrolet Blazer, Chevrolet Corvette, and a couple of Honda CR-Vs.
It doesn't reach everywhere, and it isn't going to get every area clean, but it's a heck of a lot better than not being able to even reach into the wheel well. Considering all my vehicles are daily drivers, wheel wells are only clean for a short time anyway.
It does work surprisingly well on the back sides of wheels.
I think they are less than $2. Might be worth the couple of bucks to try one. If it doesn't work for you, give it to your significant other to clean mugs and glasses. :)

ASPHALT ROCKET
01-31-2009, 07:25 PM
Well having a vette it will not clean the wells very well, on other vehicles I am sure it will since there is more room. The best way to clean the wells on a vette is to remove the wheels , clean and dress them. This way on your next wash you can just hose them out dress them.

TLMitchell
01-31-2009, 09:58 PM
For me, i just can't stand the looks of a beautiful clean car and then once you get to the wheel well area, your greeted with nasty, faded, ugly wells. Any wash or products out there that clean as a well and revitalize. Im not looking for like a trim restorer, just something that really deep cleans the well and gets them looking new.

If there's a 1-step product that does both and achieves good results, I haven't found it yet. Closest I've come is Amazing Roll Off... works good in the summer if the wells aren't too cruddy but in an Ohio winter ya have to scrub then dress.

As others have mentioned, a variety of brushes and an old wheel well/under hood mitt and either an APC, car wash or whatever to clean. Then dress with a product of your choice. I've been using Armor All Foam in the wells just to get rid of it. I'm not wild about it as a tire dressing and it really stinks up a closed garage! I prefer Stoner's More Shine aerosol on the tires so frequently use that on the wheel wells too. An undercarriage spray like Adam's or Poorboy's works better on exposed frame rails and chassis parts, IMO, if you've got some of that exposed like I do on a 4-wheel drive.

IMO, the vehicle isn't washed until the tires and wheel wells are clean... even if I'm going right back out into the snow and crud. Your mileage may vary.

TL

Dsoto87
01-31-2009, 10:26 PM
Well once you get them clean, dont use a silicone based dressing in their. Its like a magnet for dust and dirt. Use something that dries to the touch