PDA

View Full Version : school me on CanCoat

Pages : [1] 2

JHForman
09-23-2019, 06:07 PM
Im currently a PNS user, i love the stuff, it works as advertised and im extremely happy with it. My biggest complaint would be that it doesnt feel slick, i am interested in trying CanCoat but have a few questions about it. Is it a ceramic? do i have to mechanically remove it to reapply a new coat? or when it starts losing its hydrophobic properties can i just apply a new coat? my truck is washed once a week, and I will be polishing it once a year and reapplying a new sealant. I have no desire to put a ceramic coating on it. So can someone give me details on how it works?

thanks,
John

PaulMys
09-23-2019, 06:25 PM
Where is the Guz??

Lol

JHForman
09-23-2019, 06:30 PM
Where is the Guz??

Lol

he a big fan of it? or not a big fan?

The Guz
09-23-2019, 06:35 PM
Im currently a PNS user, i love the stuff, it works as advertised and im extremely happy with it. My biggest complaint would be that it doesnt feel slick, i am interested in trying CanCoat but have a few questions about it. Is it a ceramic? do i have to mechanically remove it to reapply a new coat? or when it starts losing its hydrophobic properties can i just apply a new coat? my truck is washed once a week, and I will be polishing it once a year and reapplying a new sealant. I have no desire to put a ceramic coating on it. So can someone give me details on how it works?

thanks,
John

CanCoat is a great product. If you like slickness well CanCoat lacks that just as most coatings.

Ceramic is a broad terms but CanCoat is a lite version of a coating. It offers the characteristics of a coating without the long durability of a full blown coating.

Can you apply another coat down the road with mount polishing? Sure you can. There is no law to say you can’t. At a minimum clay, iron decontamination and a prep wipe in the the correct orders and reapply.

To keep its performance going look into maintaining it monthly with Gyeon Cure. It will add a sacrificial layer and slickness to the surface.

From my experience CanCoat can make it to a year. Gyeon is pretty conservative on their claim of it.

My recommendation is to polish the paint with their primer polish as it will add a little more longevity, use a light prep wipe with Gyeon Prep or equivalent and apply two coats of CanCoat 1 hour apart. Maintain with Gyeon Cure and you are set for a year. I would probably add an iron decon half time at through the year to keep the contaminants low.

PaulMys
09-23-2019, 06:35 PM
he a big fan of it? or not a big fan?

Big fan.

Mike (the Guz) regularly recommends it.

PaulMys
09-23-2019, 06:37 PM
There he is......... :)

JHForman
09-23-2019, 06:50 PM
CanCoat is a great product. If you like slickness well CanCoat lacks that just as most coatings.

Ceramic is a broad terms but CanCoat is a lite version of a coating. It offers the characteristics of a coating without the long durability of a full blown coating.

Can you apply another coat down the road with mount polishing? Sure you can. There is no law to say you can’t. At a minimum clay, iron decontamination and a prep wipe in the the correct orders and reapply.

To keep its performance going look into maintaining it monthly with Gyeon Cure. It will add a sacrificial layer and slickness to the surface.

From my experience CanCoat can make it to a year. Gyeon is pretty conservative on their claim of it.

My recommendation is to polish the paint with their primer polish as it will add a little more longevity, use a light prep wipe with Gyeon Prep or equivalent and apply two coats of CanCoat 1 hour apart. Maintain with Gyeon Cure and you are set for a year. I would probably add an iron decon half time at through the year to keep the contaminants low.

the only thing stopping me from putting a full ceramic coating on the truck is having to mechanically remove it. Im not scrared to buff the truck but its the size of a school bus and would take all day to do if not longer. once a year I intend to polish the truck and reapply whatever I choose as protection. it sounds like going from PNS to CanCoat isn't going to provide me what im looking for which is super slick feeling paint(not that the PNS feels bad) but id like the slickness the paint has right after polishing. so is switching from PNS to CanCoat not going to be that beneficial to me?

Eldorado2k
09-23-2019, 06:57 PM
the only thing stopping me from putting a full ceramic coating on the truck is having to mechanically remove it. Im not scrared to buff the truck but its the size of a school bus and would take all day to do if not longer. once a year I intend to polish the truck and reapply whatever I choose as protection. it sounds like going from PNS to CanCoat isn't going to provide me what im looking for which is super slick feeling paint(not that the PNS feels bad) but id like the slickness the paint has right after polishing. so is switching from PNS to CanCoat not going to be that beneficial to me?

If slickness is what you’re looking for and you really wash your truck once per week like you mentioned.. You outta try BeadMaker and use it as a drying aid after every wash. It’s slicker than snot + as long as you apply it frequent enough [like after every wash] it’s protection proves to be quite impressive, especially considering it’s a spray sealant that extremely easy to apply.

JHForman
09-23-2019, 07:36 PM
If slickness is what you’re looking for and you really wash your truck once per week like you mentioned.. You outta try BeadMaker and use it as a drying aid after every wash. It’s slicker than snot + as long as you apply it frequent enough [like after every wash] it’s protection proves to be quite impressive, especially considering it’s a spray sealant that extremely easy to apply.

well come late October/November, I wont be washing it that much, I don't have a warm place to wash my vehicle so it wont get done as frequently sadly enough.

PaulMys
09-23-2019, 07:46 PM
well come late October/November, I wont be washing it that much, I don't have a warm place to wash my vehicle so it wont get done as frequently sadly enough.

Not sure where you live, but I just posted in another thread that the "glossiest/slickest" stuff goes out the window with me for the winter. I just need protection.

I'll be making it "slick & glossy" in May. ;)

JHForman
09-23-2019, 08:26 PM
Not sure where you live, but I just posted in another thread that the "glossiest/slickest" stuff goes out the window with me for the winter. I just need protection.

I'll be making it "slick & glossy" in May. ;)

southern Indiana/Louisville, KY area. I don't do cold lol the truck will be sprayed off to keep the brine/salt off of it but that's about as far as it will go. we used to have a self serve car was that was heated(closed garage doors) and you could hand wash in there and not freeze to death but it closed.

PaulMys
09-23-2019, 08:29 PM
southern Indiana/Louisville, KY area. I don't do cold lol the truck will be sprayed off to keep the brine/salt off of it but that's about as far as it will go. we used to have a self serve car was that was heated(closed garage doors) and you could hand wash in there and not freeze to death but it closed.

Yes sir.

We had one in my little town out here too.

It is now a wine and cheese depot for tourists. :(

JHForman
09-23-2019, 09:13 PM
Yes sir.

We had one in my little town out here too.

It is now a wine and cheese depot for tourists. :(

ours just sits abandoned, it was in a bad location so traffic volume to it wasn't high enough to justify keeping it open. if I had the money I would buy it and make it my personal shop lol

The Guz
09-23-2019, 09:42 PM

Most coatings are not going to offer that slickness. That includes these coating lite type products like CanCoat or Cquartz Lite.

The maintenance products will offer slickness which people enjoy.

I can’t answer if it’s beneficial to go from PNS to CanCoat as there are too many variables in terms of overall performance. If it’s only slickness that you are concerned about then the answer is no. PNS is a great product on its own as well.

This combination will net you great results if you choose to go the CanCoat route

Polish: Gyeon Primer Polish will lay down a layer of SiO2 which will aid in longevity. The SiO2 won’t be removed with Gyeon Prep per the Gyeon reps.

Prep wipe: Gyeon Prep or equivalent will work fine as I mentioned.

Protection: CanCoat x 2 (1 hr between coats)

Maintenance: Gyeon Cure or Equivalent monthly.

CarPro Ech2o at 1:20 weekly as a drying aid to add gloss and slickness.

JHForman
09-24-2019, 12:05 AM
Most coatings are not going to offer that slickness. That includes these coating lite type products like CanCoat or Cquartz Lite.

The maintenance products will offer slickness which people enjoy.

I can’t answer if it’s beneficial to go from PNS to CanCoat as there are too many variables in terms of overall performance. If it’s only slickness that you are concerned about then the answer is no. PNS is a great product on its own as well.

This combination will net you great results if you choose to go the CanCoat route

Polish: Gyeon Primer Polish will lay down a layer of SiO2 which will aid in longevity. The SiO2 won’t be removed with Gyeon Prep per the Gyeon reps.

Prep wipe: Gyeon Prep or equivalent will work fine as I mentioned.

Protection: CanCoat x 2 (1 hr between coats)

Maintenance: Gyeon Cure or Equivalent monthly.

CarPro Ech2o at 1:20 weekly as a drying aid to add gloss and slickness.

thank you for all the help/information!