PDA

View Full Version : How do you handle NOT being able to wash the car? (bad weather, etc)

Pages : [1] 2

EyesofThunder
10-01-2018, 01:03 PM
We have had a drizzly wet streak, so I can't do much at all with my car. It sorta bugs me some, but I think the winter salt is more what I am concerned with this year.

What all do you do for bad weather? Does it drive you nuts or its just another day? No, I'm not car clean OCD, but I can see how it can get that way!

acuRAS82
10-01-2018, 01:11 PM
I can go a bit nuts, but sometimes will do interior instead. When that’s done with, I try to get other chores done or more family time... and those things are very valuable, but some therapeutic alone time is also important for my own sanity.

I notice that my first exterior detailing AFTER the wet weather streak is extremely satisfying and reminds me why I love this hobby.

EyesofThunder
10-01-2018, 01:14 PM
Was wondering too how many of y'all find detailing is therapeutic too! My wife's graduate student shrink, hopefully she is too busy to study me!

glen e
10-01-2018, 01:16 PM
I have found in the last year or two using the new SIO2 products, that the surface becomes so hydrophobic, that I can go through a rainstorm and when it's all over, the car still looks clean when it dries. A couple friends of mine that I turned onto some of the spray products, who are not detailer hobbyists, and just use their car as an appliance, have commented to me the same thing after a month or two. With proper prep and a good SIO2 of some sort, Water just flies off , kind of like rainx does on your windshield.

I only rinseless wash now , every couple weeks.

BudgetPlan1
10-01-2018, 01:23 PM
Of all the negative aspects to winter in NE Ohio, one positive is that it's just so hopeless trying to keep cars clean, I can just forget about it for a few months.

JustJesus
10-01-2018, 01:23 PM
I did a rinseless wash to the wife's Kia yesterday. Out of nowhere, we drove through a VERY small patch of rain cloud (we had absolutely no idea there was any chance of rain....we're in a drought in So. California).

Anyway.... my wife was shocked when we pulled in and the car was mostly dry (I didn't wash the roof).

If any of our cars are pretty dirty, I'll wash it anyway, even if we're expecting rain for several days. It's rare, though.

Mantilgh
10-01-2018, 01:28 PM
My favorite time to use a traditional wash soap is when it’s sprinkling out.

I can go slow and be as thorough as I want.

If you’re the type that doesn’t want to wash it because it’s going to rain then you’ll never wash it.

irvsmith
10-01-2018, 01:29 PM
I do definitely. I find myself going back to the Karate Kid quote - "Wax on Wax Off" Maybe I need to update to "One Step On One Step Off"

vobro
10-01-2018, 02:05 PM
I think about it but it doesn’t bother me so much, when I see a break in the weather I look forward to getting my cars all cleaned up and start the whole cycle over again!

Chopper280
10-01-2018, 02:27 PM
It use to drive me crazy but with age you get over it.
I can always find something to do.

RippyD
10-01-2018, 02:33 PM
Just get used to it. It rains here almost every day for ~5 months. I'll wash them but the get covered with road grime almost immediately - no reasonable way to keep them clean. I still wash them, but maybe every 3-4 weeks rather than every 1-2.

ScottH
10-01-2018, 04:10 PM
I don't let winter get in the way. I wash all year round; traditional hose/soap or rinseless (pre treat with waterless). I ran warm water into my garage this year to allow for this. I could never go a few days, let alone weeks or months with salt on my cars. Never! (LOL) So they get washed no matter what. Is it fun when it's 15 degrees - heck no - but then I pull it into my garage with heater and dry it off. 100% ideal? No, but so much better than nothing.

ScottH

ducksfan
10-01-2018, 05:06 PM
My favorite time to use a traditional wash soap is when it’s sprinkling out.

I can go slow and be as thorough as I want.

If you’re the type that doesn’t want to wash it because it’s going to rain then you’ll never wash it.

I sometimes wash in the rain too. Saves the time of having to dry. Nature's DI.

PaulMys
10-01-2018, 05:08 PM
I am in the camp of waiting until the weather will be nice.

My truck needed a wash (although others say it "looks clean!") last weekend, but with a forecast of rain for almost all of the week, I didn't waste my time or products.

This weekend, with a great stretch of days forecast for the week, I happily washed and detailed it.

I have learned not to fight the weather.

spazzz
10-01-2018, 06:12 PM
Of all the negative aspects to winter in NE Ohio, one positive is that it's just so hopeless trying to keep cars clean, I can just forget about it for a few months.

It use to drive me crazy but with age you get over it.
I can always find something to do.

I am in the camp of waiting until the weather will be nice.

My truck needed a wash (although others say it "looks clean!") last weekend, but with a forecast of rain for almost all of the week, I didn't waste my time or products.

This weekend, with a great stretch of days forecast for the week, I happily washed and detailed it.

I have learned not to fight the weather.

These guys are the smart ones

I chill until I get a few nice days of clean car weather.
I have it where I want it so it should all wash relatively smoothly whenever that happens.