PDA

View Full Version : Poorboy's wheel sealant.

Pages : [1] 2

supercharged
07-06-2006, 09:29 PM
Anybody using Poorboy's wheel sealant? Is that a good product to add to next shopping list? I currently am using DP wheel glaze and Wheel Wax. I like DP better is terms of longetivity(lasts twice as long as Wheel Wax - and in my case DP - 2 weeks, Wheel Wax - 1 week).
Anyway, back to the point, is it any good?

scooterguitar
07-06-2006, 09:33 PM
I coudl be way wrong, but I think the last concensus was, DP best, PB better, WW nah. I have the PB and its ok, nothing to brag about, other than smell. I shoulda listened to others, and just kept using EXP or a regualr sealant on my wheels. But, I still have yet to try it on my bike chrome!

supercharged
07-06-2006, 10:22 PM
What does is smells like?

dakevmann
07-06-2006, 10:39 PM
The DP or PB the DP wheel glaze to me smells like papaya/exotic fruit, that just might be me I do have a messed up sense of smell. The PB have no clue was going to try it next order but seems like I have the best in the DP wheel glaze.

blkyukon
07-06-2006, 11:55 PM
PB Wheel Sealant has worked great for my uncoated aluminum wheels. I've been using it for the last 8 months and haven't had to do anything other then a light polish...and that is only to remove marring on my wheels. I apply it every 6 wks and I've yet to have any oxidation on my wheels.

Here is a review I did a while back:

Application:
Easy to apply: wipe on - let it haze - buff off
3 Coats applied consecutively about a month and a half ago to my polished uncoated Boss 301's.
About 2 weeks after I applied the coats it rained here for about 2 -3 weeks and I hadn't washed my truck until now.

Protection, clean up, appearance -
Sorry forgot to take any before pics but I've been driving in the rain for the last 3 wks so they were covered with 3 weeks of dirt, road grime, brake dust.
Washed with car soap - Cleaned up very easy with just the soap.
After washing I sprayed some Spray and Wipe and did a quick wipe down with a MF. I only noticed a few small spots of discoloration everything else was still very shiny and no oxidization present.
Minimal if any loss of slickness - very close to the slickness of when it was applied.

Conclusion:
Very easy to use and over a month of protection was more then I expected. It has proven itself in the cold and rain so I'll be interested to see how it holds up to the heat in the summer months.
IMO This is a great product for anyone who has polished uncoated wheels to help protect them and keep them looking their best.
I'll update this in the summer months and see how it holds up to the heat.

Here are some shots...
Close up after cleaning:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/blkyukon/tires/1-06/Yukon-1-06_04.jpg

Whole wheel:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/blkyukon/tires/1-06/Yukon-1-06_05.jpg

Full shot:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/blkyukon/tires/1-06/Yukon-1-06_02.jpg

2 Month update
It's been 2 months with just the initial 3 coats of Wheel Sealant and after cleaning them today I noticed some slight oxidization, spots and marring.
It's hard to get a shot of the oxidization because it's very slight but here is a before and after showing the marring and oxidization:
before:
http://www.melncal.com/detailing/pictures/wheels_before.jpg

After applying Clearkote Metal polish by hand with a MF:
http://www.melncal.com/detailing/pictures/wheels_after.jpg

2 months of protection in the winter rain and dirt, doing nothing more then washing them, is more then I could hope for...It's a great sealant for cleared or uncoated wheels.

Here is what they look like today 8 months later
http://www.melncal.com/detailing/pictures/wheels7-06.jpg

cwcad
07-07-2006, 01:39 AM
I cannot make a claim for anything other than Poorboy's wheel sealant. Plain and simple. A very good product. I apply it way to often. So I cannot spreak to durability. What I can speak to it that S&W, Mf towel, and five minutes and my wheels are clean everyday. It took a lot more than five minutes for me to get the same results without using Poorboy's wheel sealant.

Surfer
07-07-2006, 08:24 AM
I just use Klasse AIO and EX-P, works great. Going on a month now on chrome wheels and they still look fresh, dirt and junk just washes right off. Even with all the rain and driving up to the lakehouse where they were caked with crap fro mteh road and construction.

BlackCoupe
07-07-2006, 09:59 AM
I have a new SUV with just plain old black steel wheels. I was going to get something nicer but I think I will leave as is--it gives the truck attitude. When I say black steel wheels, I mean like the donut spare you get. I just used Wolfgang's Deep Gloss Sealant on them last night, so I don't know what the durability will be. Is there something better? Since they are so fugly I hate to spend time on them--but they did look better with a shine!

Surfer
07-07-2006, 10:01 AM
I have a new SUV with just plain old black steel wheels. I was going to get something nicer but I think I will leave as is--it gives the truck attitude. When I say black steel wheels, I mean like the donut spare you get. I just used Wolfgang's Deep Gloss Sealant on them last night, so I don't know what the durability will be. Is there something better? Since they are so fugly I hate to spend time on them--but they did look better with a shine!What new suv comes with black steelies lol?

joe.p
07-07-2006, 10:44 AM
I cannot make a claim for anything other than Poorboy's wheel sealant. Plain and simple. A very good product. I apply it way to often. So I cannot spreak to durability. What I can speak to it that S&W, Mf towel, and five minutes and my wheels are clean everyday. It took a lot more than five minutes for me to get the same results without using Poorboy's wheel sealant.
+ One for Steve (PB's), With the type of wheels on the ole Buick its made my life much easier with every wash. I do n't have the DP glaze. i do know of someone who uses's it on there bike and car and likes it as well. I think it smells like grapes but don't hold me to it..

BlackCoupe
07-07-2006, 11:29 AM
What new suv comes with black steelies lol?

Toyota FJ Cruiser, unless you upgrade your package or buy the alloys separately.

Meghan
07-07-2006, 11:43 AM
Toyota FJ Cruiser, unless you upgrade your package or buy the alloys separately.
Surfer can we get one of those FJ Cruisers??? I want a yellow one, if you care!:o

Surfer
07-07-2006, 11:48 AM
Surfer can we get one of those FJ Cruisers??? I want a yellow one, if you care!:oI'll agree to Silver or Black hon:D

That's weird, we've looked at a couple for my sister. Every single one I've seen on a lot has either normal wheels or an upgraded wheel made by BBS? Are you sure their black steelies? When I think of black steelies I think of the rice can Civics, old pickups etc running around on black steelies.

Meghan
07-07-2006, 11:51 AM
I'll agree to Silver or Black hon:D

How about Yellow!!!:( No silver, its no fun and no challenge, so I guess Black it is, thank goodness Neothin is my neighbor! ;) I am rough on vehicles, that black one will be one big swirl by day two!

Reddwarf
07-07-2006, 12:10 PM
I recently bought the DP Glaze and Tire Gloss. Too soon to comment on the durability of the glaze. It did go on easy; however, I found myself missing spots when I buffed. But I think that is my fault not the products!

The tire gloss I'm so so sure about. It looks great when I applied it and was really easy to apply. But a couple of days later it was not holding the shine.