PDA

View Full Version : New here - confused on which products to use.

Pages : [1] 2

311Hemi
12-19-2016, 05:11 PM
A few years ago (3-4) I purchased the Meguires DA MF system with a 7424xp, along with a clay kit and some ONR. Over those years young kids have kept me busy and I haven't pulled these products out of the cabinets. We just picked up a new (used) black 2014 Lexus RX 350 and I started looking here on what to buy to care for this car. A few weeks ago I picked up a bunch of waffle weave towels, buffing towels, Blackfire AFPP and LC Blue finishing pad, among some other interior detailing products.

I am now looking at the Megs D300/D301 that I have, and trying to figure out if I should be using the Blackfire AFPP after the megs products, or in addition to, or if I should be buying something else. My goal in the next week or two is to perform a minor paint correction for swirl marks, and then wanting some protection from the elements of a MN winter.

Do I just stick to the D300/D301 or BF AFPP and some other product?

BTW, I am a newbie at all of this. I used the Megs kit 2-3 times years ago....but other than that have not touched the DA unit or detailed any cars.

Setec Astronomy
12-19-2016, 05:47 PM
Well, you are going to get a storm of other opinions, but I would just stick with what you have, use the D300/D301 and top it with the Blackfire and enjoy the rest of the winter.

(wanted to get in here with that before you got suggestions to buy 16 other products)

ducksfan
12-19-2016, 05:54 PM
Well, you are going to get a storm of other opinions, but I would just stick with what you have, use the D300/D301 and top it with the Blackfire and enjoy the rest of the winter.

(wanted to get in here with that before you got suggestions to buy 16 other products)

LOL. I'm not going to make any suggestions.

:props:

DaveT435
12-19-2016, 06:06 PM
I would agree with use what you have. I've never used these products personally, but I've read good things about them. I can't be much help as far as application but there should be plenty on the AG pages. I'm sure you can find YouTube videos on these products use as well.

311Hemi
12-19-2016, 06:31 PM

Thanks!

I think my biggest question was if I can use the D300/301, and then top it with Blackfire. I didn't know if the 301 and the Bladckfire are similar products and I would be wasting my time, or if they might not be compatible.

FYI, I don't want to go purchase bunch of other products to get started if I don't have to.

Setec Astronomy
12-19-2016, 06:42 PM
I think my biggest question was if I can use the D300/301, and then top it with Blackfire. I didn't know if the 301 and the Bladckfire are similar products and I would be wasting my time, or if they might not be compatible.

I wouldn't worry about it, but then I'm trying to worry less and enjoy life more...and I'm sure some other people will be along to worry about it for us.

If you were really concerned and were working on hard, lighter-colored paint, I would say just use the D300 and skip the D301, but I think you're going to need the finishing step. FWIW, Meguiar's now has D302 which is a MF finishing polish without the "wax".

dlc95
12-19-2016, 07:00 PM

100% agree.

You have an excellent, capable system.

pilotpip
12-19-2016, 08:51 PM
New guy here too. I've now used my DA a whopping 4 times, so I'm not going to give anything that could be advise on products. There's a ton of easy to use stuff out there now. I've stuck to All-In-Ones and haven't done a full on correction (yet) but have been very happy with the results.

Whatever you decide, go slow, experiment, and enjoy! Pulling into the lot at work and having people compliment my truck is a nice side effect to this!

Paul A.
12-19-2016, 09:07 PM
I'll also say to have a go at it with what you have. I wouldn't have any problem using exactly what you have. My only advise would be whether you could use only 301 alone and save some time. Do a test spot with 301 and see if that suits you for the season. Then Blackfire to seal for the winter. If you do need more correction/cut/swirl bustin' after your test spot with 301 then break open the 300. Once you're convinced you like the finish of the more aggressive 300 spot, go over that same spot with 301 and see if you notice if it cleaned it up enough to make a difference. If it did, that's you're approach around the car...again, then seal it up with BF when you're done.

The Guz
12-19-2016, 11:38 PM
You can use what you already have. The only thing I would add to your arsenal is a dedicated polish.

DogRescuer
12-20-2016, 05:36 AM
I wouldn't worry about it, but then I'm trying to worry less and enjoy life more...and I'm sure some other people will be along to worry about it for us.

If you were really concerned and were working on hard, lighter-colored paint, I would say just use the D300 and skip the D301, but I think you're going to need the finishing step. FWIW, Meguiar's now has D302 which is a MF finishing polish without the "wax".
I love all this advice, keep it simple.

Setec Astronomy
12-20-2016, 06:39 AM
I love all this advice, keep it simple.

Well, to make it more complicated there was some good advice about trying D301 first to see if that gave the desired amount of correction, before going to D300/D301.

311Hemi
12-20-2016, 12:48 PM
Thanks everyone, very helpful info here and I greatly appreciate it! I will try the D301 in a test area to see how it turns out and go to the D300 if I fell I need additional correction. I need to take a good close look at the paint tonight to see what how it really looks.

You can use what you already have. The only thing I would add to your arsenal is a dedicated polish.

Where does a dedicated polish fit into the order of things here? I assume I may do the D300/D301 a couple times a year as needed, and the Blackfire somewhat more often depending on how often the wife takes the car through the no touch carwash (I know this is not best and will try to wash as often as I can in the garage so I don't have to keep reapplying the BF AFPP). I am not exactly sure how a dedicate polish is different from the products below, or when I would use that vs what I have?

1) D300 (compound for correction)
2) D301 (Finish wax)
3) Blackfire (All Finish Paint Protection)

The Guz
12-20-2016, 01:24 PM
Thanks everyone, very helpful info here and I greatly appreciate it! I will try the D301 in a test area to see how it turns out and go to the D300 if I fell I need additional correction. I need to take a good close look at the paint tonight to see what how it really looks.

Where does a dedicated polish fit into the order of things here? I assume I may do the D300/D301 a couple times a year as needed, and the Blackfire somewhat more often depending on how often the wife takes the car through the no touch carwash (I know this is not best and will try to wash as often as I can in the garage so I don't have to keep reapplying the BF AFPP). I am not exactly sure how a dedicate polish is different from the products below, or when I would use that vs what I have?

1) D300 (compound for correction)
2) D301 (Finish wax)
3) Blackfire (All Finish Paint Protection)

D300 paired with a microfiber pad is an aggressive combination. On top of that, you should not need to compound the car that often especially after the first correction. Well this is assuming that one is washing it properly and caring for it properly to maintain the finish. A compound is removing more paint than a polish. Thus I am recommending a polish to use for those times when you don't need to be as aggressive. With a polish you can do the good old test spot to see how aggressive you would need to get.

As someone stated you may only need the finishing wax to remove any defects. The wax itself is not that durable in terms of longevity. Topping it with Blackfire could possibly interfere with how long blackfire lasts.

If you had a polish this is typically how it would initially go

1. D300
2. Finishing polish - as an example M205
3. Blackfire paint sealant

Once or twice a year after initial correction

1. Finishing polish
2. Blackfire paint sealant

dlc95
12-20-2016, 05:19 PM
D300 paired with a microfiber pad is an aggressive combination. On top of that, you should not need to compound the car that often especially after the first correction. Well this is assuming that one is washing it properly and caring for it properly to maintain the finish. A compound is removing more paint than a polish. Thus I am recommending a polish to use for those times when you don't need to be as aggressive. With a polish you can do the good old test spot to see how aggressive you would need to get.

As someone stated you may only need the finishing wax to remove any defects. The wax itself is not that durable in terms of longevity. Topping it with Blackfire could possibly interfere with how long blackfire lasts.

If you had a polish this is typically how it would initially go

1. D300
2. Finishing polish - as an example M205
3. Blackfire paint sealant

Once or twice a year after initial correction

1. Finishing polish
2. Blackfire paint sealant

Could not have said it better myself.