autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Training Cars for the February 2017 Competition Ready Detailing Class!

***Update***

This class also covers production detailing and for this we use normal, every day daily drivers. Here's one of the vehicles for the production detailing portion of the class, this is a 1995 Chevy Long Bed Dually.

1995 Chevy Long Bed Dually

Mike Phillips

***Update***

Here's another car for Friday, when the class learns show car detailing on real show cars...

1957 Ford Fairlane

I've seen this one in person and it's swirl city!

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of beautiful cars Mike, as always, the 68 Charger and GTO being my favorites, the class is going to be busy, all of those vehicles are fairly large in size, can't wait to see the after pics.

Post Thanks / Like

Ridiculous Mike!

That is one heck of a line up! The sheer size of the trucks over there still amazes me, the dually has a serious amount of real estate - you could park that in NZ, East to West & part of it would most likely be hanging over the Pacific!!! Perfect canvas for production detailing tutorial Mike.

The 41 Buick is interesting to me, I cannot recall ever seeing one before, I like it, also a sizeable ride too. All are very cool cars, the Hudson, the Charger, the Judge, geeze - a survivor at that! Wow! Is there a need for Megs #7 on that Mike? A Nomad, the Chevelle . . . the list is incredible, truely the best detailing class in the world bar none! Rick Goldstein as a special guest too, thats pretty cool. I haven't met him but you kinda get to know who are the contributors to the industry when you hang out on a forum like this, & I feel as if Rick has some great knowledge to share too.

I would like nothing more than to take a spot in this Three Day Competition Ready Class but unfortunately you guys have too many events that are "must do's" & I have my heart set on Detail Fest 2018.

Enjoy everyone - I look forward to reading all about the class from you all, & seeing the pictures in the future!

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Parker View Post
    Lots of beautiful cars Mike, as always, the 68 Charger and GTO being my favorites, the class is going to be busy, all of those vehicles are fairly large in size, can't wait to see the after pics.
    Thanks Craig, this is the second GTO Judge in orange we've had in our classes.

Mike Phillips

***Update***

Here's another car that will be here for this class.... this Cutlass is bad ass! Big block powered with a 425 Olds, it shakes the air around you when it's only idling...

1967 Oldsmobile Cutlass

Besides using this car as one of our training cars for show car detailing, we will also be using this car to go over the proper products and techniques for working on and preserving vinyl with Rick Goldstein and RaggTopp products.

Mike Phillips

***Update***

There's Production Detailing and then there's Show Car Detailing.

Guess which type of detailing this car will be here for the students to hone their skills on?

1956 Buick Special

Class starts this Friday at 7:30am sharp!

Please get here at 7:00am so you can,

1. Park your car
    2. Get your name tag
    3. Find your seat
    4. Enjoy some hot coffee and fresh donuts
    5. Meet the rest of the people you'll be working with over the course of three days...

Post Thanks / Like

We don't get to see 22 year old trucks that look anything like that 1 ton Chevy dually. In WI that thing would be perforated from the tailgate, wheel wells, and cab corners. The paint looks very good for black and 22 years. My money says that paint will come out looking like glass.

Love all the old cars. Always neat to see such an assortment of cars that Mike and AG get together for the classes.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailing View Post

We don't get to see 22 year old trucks that look anything like that 1 ton Chevy dually. In WI that thing would be perforated from the tailgate, wheel wells, and cab corners. The paint looks very good for black and 22 years. My money says that paint will come out looking like glass.

This truck was just purchased by my friend Lenny. He's a local car guy and his automotive background is extensive, I'll have to ask him to share it while I write it down because it's too much to take a guess at but I was impressed.

He went down the road of purchasing a new fancy Audi and after an experience where the thermostat when bad and the way you replace it is to remove the front of the car, (as compared to any old Chevy where it takes one 9/16" wrench and a $5.00 replacement thermostat and you're in and out in under 5 minutes, he sold the Audi or escaped the Audi and found this truck. It was owned by another local car guy and garage kept. It was used to pull an enclosed car hauler for the owner's Streetrod. So it was well taken care of my another "Car Guy".

Lenny told me the truck was covered in overspray paint. He asked me how to remove it, we set him up with a Nanoskin Medium Grade Wash Mitt and he washed the hell out of her. I think this removed the majority of the overspray but left the paint with light marring and shallow swirls. So this will be one of the rigs we use to go over production detailing, in my class I teach high quality production detailing so my guess is it's going to look like the cars we do show car detailing too....

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailing View Post

Love all the old cars.

Always neat to see such an assortment of cars that Mike and AG get together for the classes.

Here's what I know from experience, most people that detail cars either for money or for fun will never get to work on a car like any that I get for these classes. Maybe some will but the vast majority will never get to buff out another 1969 Orange GTO Judge.

So it makes for a great experience and a powerful learning experience at that.

I show all the various types of tools sold on Autogeek.com and each type of tool gets two cars. This way EVERYONE gets LOTS of HANDS-ON time with each tool. No one ever leaves one of my classes feeling like they didn't get enough hands-on time. Never.

There's really no other classes in the U.S. or in the world for that matter like the classes we teach here at Autogeek. I also think my classes are the most unique in the industry... I've been doing this as long and probably longer than anyone else except Ed Terwilliger in California but his classes are nothing like my classes.

I could bring in rental cars, or use what's out in the parking lot, or stick to mundane demo hoods but that's not real-world and no one gets excited to work on a demo hood.

I'm also happy to say that all the students I talk to let me know how attending a class helps them to work smarter, work faster and make more money. For the guys and even girls that take one of these classes simply to learn how to work on their own car or car collection, they get the skills, education and confidence to tackle their own projects without the fear of screwing them up. At my last class, one of the guys came simply to learn how to buff out the paint on his 1941 Willys Blown Streetrod. He has too much money into the car and the paint job to hire it out to someone that calls themselves a "detailer" and cross his fingers he gets the right guy.

For anyone thinking about taking a future class, below is the schedule for this year. For EVERY year it's the same general time and that's because I know people need to adjust their schedule to make their travel plans and there's a lot of logistics and even budgeting for this type of project.

Mike Phillips Detailing Class Schedule for 2017 at Autogeek in Stuart, Florida

2017 Schedule

February 17th, 18th, 19th - IDA SV Testing will be on Monday, February 20th

May 5th, 6th and 7th - IDA SV Testing will be on Monday, May 8th

September 29th, 30th, October 1st - IDA SV Testing will be on Monday, October 2nd

Price for 3-day class: $1,795.00

How to sign up for a class

To sign-up over the phone, call Andre to reserve your seat before the class you want to attend sells out.

1-800-869-3011 x244

You can also sign-up online

Click here to sign-up for the February Competition Ready 3-Day Detailing Class

The Competition Ready 3-Day Detailing Class takes place on a Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

OPTIONAL

If you want to become an IDA Skills Validated Detailer, we give the Skills Validation practical test on Monday following the three day class. You have to have already,

More information about the Skills Validation Testing here,

IDA SV Certification Testing at Autogeek

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking forward to the class Mike and I have used RaggTopp products before.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast