autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

1970 Plymouth Roadrunner Superbird 440 Sixpack Limelight Green - This is going to hurt your eyes!

1970 Plymouth Roadrunner Superbird 440 Sixpack Limelight Green - This is going to hurt your eyes!

On of my practices and one I encourage other detailers to also practice is to fully document the before condition of the really cool cars you detail. Yeah I know... it takes a few minutes to stop what you're doing, position the car in bright light or good light and then capture the accurate before condition BEFORE you start working.

The reason why is because after you do all your magic work and take a diamond in the rough and turn it into a glistening gemstone, you can never go back in time and get the before pictures. You can always get the after pictures but it's the before pictures that tell the complete story. Without great before pictures, when you go to explain to everyone that drools over the finished results exactly what the car looked like BEFORE you practiced your craft... there's simply no power in your words or your verbal description. Sure people can try to imagine what the paint looked like before with your description but nothing is more powerful than great before pictures.

My good friend Luc Viet recently purchased this Mopar Muscle Car and if you're attending the September Competition Ready 3-Day Detailing Class this is just one of the cars you'll be working on.

Competition Ready 3-Day Detailing Class

Enough talk... lets take a look at the car....

Luc purchased the car with the paint in its current condition. Luc is more of a collector than a detailer. That's where Autogeek comes into play.

Pictures can be deceiving. You can't believe everything you see. From these shots the car and the paint look pretty good.

Really looks good from this point of view...

And there's the iconic super tall wing with the Roadrunner cartoon character on the side...

Get ready... the pictures in the next post are going to hurt your eyes and make you want to cry!!!!

Mike Phillips

Re: 1970 Plymouth Roadrunner Superbird 440 Sixpack Limelight Green - This is going to hurt your eyes!

For the below pictures, I've moved around the car to position myself to see the holograms in the paint and thus capture them with my cell phone camera.

Here's what the paint really looks like.... these my friend are HOLOGRAMS. What are holograms?

Holograms = A specific scratch pattern inflicted into car paint by the misuse of a rotary buffer

Here's the frame-up shot, this is the front clip...

Here I've zoomed in to focus on the holograms.

Here's the paint just behind the driver's side hideaway headlight...

Ouch!

Why oh why do some guys still think this is how you buff out a car?

Here's the trunk lid...

In this shot you can clearly see both round circular scratches that surround the point of light created by the sun reflecting off the paint and you can also see these wispy lines of swirls. It is these 3D-like, holographic lines that shimmer and appear to move when you move your head while inspecting the paint that are the tale-tale signs of holograms.

The lines in the paint mimic the direction the rotary buffer was moved over the paint. The the single rotating direction the pad is spinning together with the product used imparts a scratch pattern called holograms.

You can clearly see where the person that machine polished this car moved the rotary buffer vertically, up and down the door....

NO!!!!!

Say it isn't so.... don't tell me they swirled out the wing with holograms?

Yep... at least they were thorough....

Parting shot....

This is an incredible muscle car and also highly collectible since Plymouth only made this model for one year.

This is just one of the cool cars with jacked-up paint I have coming in for the Show Car Detailing portion of the September class. There's still a few seats available but like all our classes... this class will fill up.

This may be the only chance in your lifetime you get to touch or I should say, buff out a 1970 Plymouth Superbird. Besides this car we also have,

1968 Camaro Rally Sport Convertible
    1952 Mercury Panel Wagon Streetrod
    2016 Corvette Stingray
    1958 Dodge Sweptside PIckup Streetrod

And I'm working on a few more just for Friday, the day we go over show car detailing.

So don't wait to get signed up. Call Andre at 1-800-869-3011 x244 and get registered over the phone or click the link below and do it online.

Competition Ready 3-Day Detailing Class

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1970 Plymouth Roadrunner Superbird 440 Sixpack Limelight Green - This is going to hurt your eyes!

You're right. My eyes hurt. Mike, it never ceases to amaze me,the ridiculous amount of cars like the winged warrior in this thread, I see at shows that are in the same condition. And the owners have no clue.

Post Thanks / Like

You said it Billy, wow!
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Swirls and all, I'd still take it.

They were really beautiful!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Baldone View Post
    You're right. My eyes hurt. Mike, it never ceases to amaze me,the ridiculous amount of cars like the winged warrior in this thread, I see at shows that are in the same condition. And the owners have no clue.
    I wonder if it's the owners who are creating the damage?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post

I wonder if it's the owners who are creating the damage?
    Maybe the previous owner but not Luc. Even if he owns a rotary buffer he wouldn't try to use it on his own cars.

The damage in the paint on this car is definitely caused by a rotary buffer. So these aren't normal wear-n-tear type swirls and scratches or the kind of swirls and scratches caused by improper washing methods.

I use two cars for each tool set, so two cars for the FLEX 3401, two cars for the RUPES BigFoot Orbital Polishers, two cars for the PC style tools, two cars for the FLEX Finisher, two cars for the Griot's BOSS System etc. I don't start matching cars to tool sets till my car list for each class is finalized. This class is already shaping up to be another class that sets the bar even higher...

Here's two more cars for the September class...

Training Cars for the September Competition Ready Class - 1968 Camaro Convertible Rally Sport

1968 Camaro Convertible Rally Sport

Training Car for September Competition Ready Class - 1953 Mercury Hearse Streetrod

1953 Mercury Hearse Streetrod

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Baldone View Post

Been seeing swirled out show cars at car shows all my life.

Theres roughly 4 reasons for this.

Luc knew and knows the paint is all swirled out but knows we'll take care of it in the September class.

Post Thanks / Like

That superbird is a Holy Grail car to many. All killer cars!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh man! I can't wait to see the finished product!

It's weird now to think that these winged cars like the 70 Superbird, and the 1969 Charger Daytona before it, literally sat unsold at the dealer for years, as they had a hard time selling them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast