autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Mike Phillips

Pictures & Comments - 2018 Indy Roadshow Class

Pictures & Comments - 2018 Indy Roadshow Class

Great class! Great people! Super location!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Pictures & Comments - 2018 Indy Roadshow Class

Continued...

4. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Continued...

1971 Fleetwood Brougham Sixty Special? Wow, where’d you even find that car? Looks amazing.Pictures & Comments - 2018 Indy Roadshow Class

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post

Hi Mike, what year was this Mercedes?

And did it have single stage paint or no?

Great question and thank you for asking. I was surprised to find out this car still had the original factory basecoat/clearcoat paint on it. There were two places where the car was repainted and these two had basecoat/clearcoat repair sprays.

The earlies AMERICAN cars to get basecoat/clearcoat paint technology was the Corvette in 1980, I cover this in my how-to book, "The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine" on page 5 & 6 where you will see me working on an all-original 1980 Corvette when I was the guest speaker for the 2007 National Corvette Restoration Society's National Meeting.

In other parts of the world, primarily in Europe, they started switching over too basecoat/clearcoat paint technology in the 1970s.

This car was a beige metallic color and it's a tick on the difficult to capture swirls and scratches on light colored metallic without a little effort on the part of the photographer. I didn't have a ton of time for this type of stuff but somewhere I do have pictures showing the absolute HORRIBLE condition the paint on this car was in. It had been run through a car wash like the 1971 Cadillac and it looked like someone washed it with a Scotchbrite pad. I sued this car and the Cadillac on Friday morning for the first tool set, simple 8mm free spinning orbital polishers with Pinnacle compounds, polishes and waxes to build a foundation for the class to build on. The cars came out looking like they were brand new.

1971 Fleetwood Brougham Sixty Special?

Wow, where’d you even find that car?

Looks amazing

This car belongs to the Tony George family, it was stored in the basement of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum. The museum staff brought the car out along with the Mercedes for the class to train on. The paint on the Cadillace was the second worst car in this class. The 1967 GTO actually had the worst looking and worst condition paint out of all the cars and the class used BLACKFIRE One Step to fix it.

The Caddy was great for starting the class as it was HUGE and provided plenty of room for hands-on training.

Just to comment...

I know a lot of people think I like old cars because they see me using old cars in my class but that's not accurate. I use old cars or what I would call "Cool Cars" in my classes because they tend to be HUGE or LARGE and my classes are HANDS-ON! And this means I need lots of real-estate so there's plenty of room for everyone to get LOTS of hands on time with all the different tools, pads and products.

Think about it.... not a lot of real-estate with a Mazda Miata, or even Porsche, compared to classic 1950s, 1960s and 1970s cars. Plus the classics tend to be more fun for the students to work on because most people in the real world don't get to buff out cars like a numbers matching 1967 Pontiac GTO.

Just thought I'd share all that for all the people that will read this thread into the future, which vindicated by the numbers of all these types of threads will be thousands, even tens of thousands.

7. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great question and thank you for asking. I was surprised to find out this car still had the original factory basecoat/clearcoat paint on it. There were two places where the car was repainted and these two had basecoat/clearcoat repair sprays.

The earlies AMERICAN cars to get basecoat/clearcoat paint technology was the Corvette in 1980, I cover this in my how-to book, "The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine" on page 5 & 6 where you will see me working on an all-original 1980 Corvette when I was the guest speaker for the 2007 National Corvette Restoration Society's National Meeting.

In other parts of the world, primarily in Europe, they started switching over too basecoat/clearcoat paint technology in the 1970s.
    Thanks for the info, Mike. I’ve been wondering for a long time how this 1975 Mercedes was all original, yet I couldn’t wrap my head around the fact that the paint somehow wasn’t single stage...

Feels good to finally have some closure to the question.Pictures & Comments - 2018 Indy Roadshow Class

9. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Thanks for the info, Mike. I’ve been wondering for a long time how this 1975 Mercedes was all original, yet I couldn’t wrap my head around the fact that the paint somehow wasn’t single stage...

Feels good to finally have some closure to the question.

And that's what we're all about... dissemination of information...

11. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Continued...

13. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Continued...

15. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Continued...

17. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Continued...

Hi Mike, what year was this Mercedes? And did it have single stage paint or no?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast