autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List your coating that failed!

This thread really has me thinking about my long journey on detailing forums for the last 20 years. 20 years ago the main topics of discussion seemed to be:

1. How to get swirls out of clearcoat with the rudimentary (in comparison to now) machines and polishes of the day, without having to resort to a rotary (which scared most of us, not to mention there weren't the lightweight rotaries of today)

2. Which LSP was going to last the longest and provide protection from bird poop etc., and last through the winter, for those of us in the north. This thread reminds me of that.

There was endless discussion about "beauty" waxes, and "hard" waxes like Meg's #16, and what we now know to be hybrid waxes like the Collinites, vs. the relatively new sealants. A common winter strategy was to lay down a base of sealant and then top with a wax (which lead to endless discussion of whether the "wax" was removing the sealant during application/removal). Many discussions about how you could put a wax over a sealant, but not sealant over a wax, how best to remove "wax" so you could put a sealant down, etc.

One of the things we didn't realize then when evaluating LSP's back then, was that we were experiencing "clogging", but we didn't know it. Thanks are in order to a couple of members, one who disappeared (PiPUK) and one who doesn't post much anymore (swanicyouth), for later on (2013) proving that clogging of LSP's was a thing:

Sealant Test: PowerLock (+/-) BlackHole, Wolfgang DGPS, & BlackFire WD

LSP stripping

So back 20 years ago, people might Dawn wash their car and get no beading after, and think they stripped their wax. Or they would try a new wash that had a lot of sheeting agents in it to prevent water spotting, and think their new sealant was dead, because it was clogged. Discussions about whether certain soaps were too strong for regular use and were degrading waxes or sealants. It was also common to go over a car with a QD after a wash to clean up water spots/drops (before blowers and rinseless washing were prevalent), and later on there were spray waxes and sealants used for this, so there would be discussions about whether this post-wash treatment was fooling people into thinking their LSP was lasting longer than it was, etc.

So today, what has changed? Here we are discussing the latest LSP's (coatings), and whether the surface was prepped properly, whether it's "clogged", whether certain washes are too strong or not strong enough, what effect toppers have. Seems to me that although everything has changed in 20 years, nothing has changed.

2. Likes oneheadlite, D.BRITT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    So what realistic factors does that leave us with? [for the record, I have watched the video]

IMO there’s only a few things that might’ve affected it. SOMETHING had to cause it, because it didn’t just fail for no reason.

That leaves us with:
    -The choice of primer wasn’t strong enough to completely remove Carpro Reload. That might be explain what you’re actually seeing 8 months later, which is Reload failing as expected because the DIY Coating never stuck in the 1st place.

-Another possibility is the mistake that was made in doing a prep wipe after the application of the NSP 45. It specifically says on the label of that product to Not do any sort of panel wipe after using because if you do you’ll screw up the bonding process of the coating.

-Also, why use that product in the 1st place if it’s not specifically made to perfectly pair with the DIY Coating? Nor is it written anywhere that it’s capable of removing Carpro Reload with a Gloss Pad. Just sayin…

-Another thing: Isn’t it important to begin laying down coating no more than 20-30min. after polishing with that NSP 45 primer? I believe I’ve heard that to be the case with that product. [I could be wrong] but if that’s true, was that rule followed?

-What kind of panel wipe was used? It was never mentioned. For all we know that panel wipe sucks or isn’t exactly the best choice to pair up with the DIY Coating.

-Was the prep wipe done right, even if it was a mistake to do it in the 1st place? Based on the small demonstration of Guz wiping down a piece of the hood, it left alot to be desired…

-Weather conditions during application. Iirc that garage door was open and for all we know the DIY Coating may not like humidity if there was any?

-Did you immediately drive home? Even if you didn’t, the car went straight outdoors, leaving it no real time to cure free from the elements. Is it possible that driving at high speeds whether in the hot sun or cold air could possibly affect this coatings ability to properly cure?

Considering some coatings tell you to not get the car wet for 24hrs. or more it’s not completely out of the question whether Any weather conditions might not be ideal if you’re going for true perfect application.

I believe 1 of those things is the cause.^

You sherlocked homes the video and I need to -relisten- to the 1st minute or less cause this is where it covered the details being pointed out...which I would have missed if I didn't pay attention to the what was the bullet list outlined relative to the video. DDP did state he did a 4 step polish.....so was there an error in words of NSP stripping Reload and or was polishing in itself had removed Reload prior to his arrival

Just for the helluva it, I went to DIY site. There is no callout on Cure time or Driveoff in their listing for the Coating

Post Thanks / Like

List your coating that failed!

Quote Originally Posted by chefwong View Post
    DDP did state he did a 4 step polish.....so was there an error in words of NSP stripping Reload and or was polishing in itself had removed Reload prior to his arrival
    Going off pure assumption here… I’m guessing Dana did his 4 step correction sometime prior and applied Carpro Reload to serve as a temporary lsp for the few days until he met up to apply the DIY Coating.

They machine polished off the Carpro Reload using Dr. Beasleys NSP 45 Surface Primer just before they began filming that video, which more than likely did remove the Carpro Reload, as expected.

[we’ll have to wait for Dana to confirm, but that’s my best guess]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Thanks are in order to a couple of members, one who disappeared (PiPUK) and one who doesn't post much anymore (swanicyouth)
    I remember PiPUK very well from the days, more like years when I used to lurk on this forum… Swanicyouth is more recent like you said. I recall him as well, but not quite sure if we’ve ever crossed paths in conversation.

There was another person kinda similar to PiPUK who I always found quite intriguing but IMO on an even higher level of knowledge. There was a few times I read some of the stuff he posted and I legit wondered if it was Barry Meguiar behind the keyboard f***** with someone because how would anyone else know some of that stuff. Lol.
    I could be overreacting at bit, so don’t quote me on that, but lets see if you remember a user that went by the name “mmwwyyodd” or “wwmmuudd” Possibly started and ended with WW

I can’t remember exactly but his username was something along those lines. He might’ve been on the Meguiars Forum or here on this forum in the very beginning days of AGO. Possibly both forums.

Does a username similar to that ring a bell? That guy was legendary with some of the stuff he would talk about. I remember gaining knowledge from his posts.

Post Thanks / Like

No, I don't really remember that other person. FunX750 seemed to have a pretty good chemistry knowledge but not detailing industry, per se.

Post Thanks / Like

He's another fine member sadly lost to time
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Going off pure assumption hereÂ… IÂ’m guessing Dana did his 4 step correction sometime prior and applied Carpro Reload to serve as a temporary lsp for the few days until he met up to apply the DIY Coating.

They machine polished off the Carpro Reload using Dr. Beasleys NSP 45 Surface Primer just before they began filming that video, which more than likely removed the Carpro Reload, as expected.

[weÂ’ll have to wait for Dana to confirm, but thatÂ’s my best guess]

I dunno mang......Guz seems to be a OG on the forum and one presume that he would know a chem wipe isn't going to remove Reload . If you did't bullet list it out, I honestly would not have heard what was stated in the procedure that entailed before the 1 minute marker.....shows how much I pay attention to videos.

9. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

List your coating that failed!

Quote Originally Posted by chefwong View Post
    I dunno mang......Guz seems to be a OG on the forum and one presume that he would know a chem wipe isn't going to remove Reload . If you did't bullet list it out, I honestly would not have heard what was stated in the procedure that entailed before the 1 minute marker.....shows how much I pay attention to videos.
    Wait, that’s not what I said and that’s not what was described. Nobody said the panel wipe had anything to do with wiping Reload off… Please re read.^

They polished the Reload off. The mistake was doing the panel wipe after the primer as if to wipe away “polishing oils”. However the Beasleys NSP 45 Surface Primer contains no silicone oils and leaves behind no residue so there’s even further reason to not do a panel wipe and it specifically states to go straight from polish to coating.

Post Thanks / Like

reread your remarks. Probably last bullet points on cure . The only coatings I recall seeing a short time was some 3M stuff that came across my YouTube feeds. it was short....like 4 hrs drive off time compared to the usual 24/48. While we're here yakking away, hopefully DDP is busy recoating away.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh boy did I ever open a can of worms
    I don't plan on re coating it till after I have a front fender bender fixed. I will take a pole of what you guys want me to use of coatings on hand.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast