autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: From "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

I think the car protecting itself from high loads on a cold engine is a very real possibility. Im actually surprised people don't warm up their cars before putting them on a dyno. Didn't know that wasn't I thing.

I am very conscious of going WOT on a cold car from my turbo VW days and still watch both water and oil temps carefully. I know at our autocross events, people always start their cars when they grid up for their heat. Even though the runs are often less than a minute, no one wants to do a run on a car with a cold engine and cold oil.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

2. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Likes Klasse Act, oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I think the car protecting itself from high loads on a cold engine is a very real possibility. Im actually surprised people don't warm up their cars before putting them on a dyno. Didn't know that wasn't I thing.

I am very conscious of going WOT on a cold car from my turbo VW days and still watch both water and oil temps carefully. I know at our autocross events, people always start their cars when they grid up for their heat. Even though the runs are often less than a minute, no one wants to do a run on a car with a cold engine and cold oil.

Thanks and FWIW the dyno showed 270 hp then 280 on the 2nd, partial pull but I'm sure it makes more than that, I mean look at my buddy's pulls:

1st was bone stock from May
    2nd was just the cat-back
    3rd was w/ the piggyback turned on

The exhaust netted 17/31 alone but combined it went from 277/330 whp & 283/353 wtq

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

4. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post

You want hot oil and cold water. Ideally. I never go WoT until my oil is above 120°F.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PouncingPanzer View Post
    You want hot oil and cold water. Ideally. I never go WoT until my oil is above 120°F.

Yeah this was all a learning experience for sureFrom "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

We'll see what the "butt dyno" in Mexico shows us against my buddy's 330 whp/353 wtq EN, this time same transmission useageFrom "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

I still think the coils should cone off though but the car not being warmed up nearly at all makes me think the coils "may" be okFrom "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

7. Likes PouncingPanzer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Yeah this was all a learning experience for sureFrom "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

We'll see what the "butt dyno" in Mexico shows us against my buddy's 330 whp/353 wtq EN, this time same transmission useageFrom "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

I still think the coils should cone off though but the car not being warmed up nearly at all makes me think the coils "may" be okFrom "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

Sometimes butt dyno results are enough to ease the mine.

Merry Christmas don't worry about your car today though relax hahaha

2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

9. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn’t take them of till you know…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    I wouldn’t take them of till you know…

Well apart of me wants to go back there and dyno again but with it completely warmed up.

My buddy thinks it's the coils or tye tune. My thing is this, no signs of an "issue", this investigation could get expensiveFrom "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

Post Thanks / Like

Well apart of me wants to go back there and dyno again but with it completely warmed up.

My buddy thinks it's the coils or tye tune. My thing is this, no signs of an "issue", this investigation could get expensiveFrom "stay tuned" to T U N E D !!

Yeah if it’s driving fine WOT… I don’t think it’s a problem either.

I would ask dyno place to see if they remembering it being warmed up and if they’d be willing to redo one pull warmed up for free or at discount…

14. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Likes PouncingPanzer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's a video of the days events:
    Elantra N making great power with Stillen Performance Parts ? - YouTube

16. Likes PouncingPanzer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The response from my tuner, don't understand this and I feel lost here, atleast the car doesn't have a drive ability issue🫣
    Late to the party, but to throw my couple pennies into the ring

First off, sorry to hear the day didn't go your way. Always a bummer to have a build up and then run into an issue.

Regarding your tuner's response, the technician in me sees it not as dismissive or dodgy or anything; I see it from their end where I'm sure they've done extensive testing in house with known-quantity cars and (as they mentioned) the stage 1 tune is meant to be conservative and not light the stock hardware on fire. Even with your extra little mods, I'm sure they improvements are out of range for the car/software's ability to learn and adapt - if it wasn't, I'd think your tuner would have expressed concern over the additional mods.

I also see the comment of "should not be giving you any cuts that sounds mechanical" not as a statement that you must have a mechanical issue like engine hard parts, merely a catch all statement for there must be something on your car causing it to cut.

Again, as a tech, having been to plenty of rodeos where a DIY'r has been putting parts in, I can assure you that a lot of aftermarket stuff is not good. While at the shop we do use non-genuine parts, we've developed a knowledge base of what brands to stay away from whole cloth, and even certain brands where you can use some parts but not others. Those MSD coils fall in the suspect category for me, especially if Coating's has seen them poo-poo'd on a separate forum. We've seen plenty of formerly reputable brands suffering from sending their manufacturing off to cheaper production locales.

Regarding what's going on with your car, I'm also in the camp of being sure to get your oil temp up before hooning. For my own car, I've made a habit of not just avoiding WOT when the oil is cold, I'll actually monitor boost and try to keep it below the halfway mark until I've got some oil temp to work with.

But, as far as low oil temp causing a cut-out situation, that should be easy to duplicate - a dyno shouldn't be any different than loading the car up on the road. Ignition misfires are most common under high cylinder pressure (lower/mid RPM, high load, high boost) as it is now harder for the coil/plug to produce a fire in the cylinder. Were you hearing audible misfiring where the car sounded like it was no longer firing all 4 cylinders? A lot of times when I'm chasing an ignition issue, I'll get the engine nice and hot (just from time driving, not specifically rodding on it), then click it in 4th and do a "pull" from about 3K to 5k. You're looking to go max torque, not use the horsepower to rev the thing to redline.

I would try to replicate the conditions you had at the dyno with the MSD's in and see if you can experience the cut again. Then swap in your stock coils and repeat.

Hopefully this is all coherent, typing as fast as I can on my lunch break. This whole mechanic-ing thing is something I can just do but struggle to explain sometimes.

18. Thanks Klasse Act, PouncingPanzer thanked for this post
    Likes Klasse Act, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast