autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Aussie Muscle!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aussie Muscle!

GM=government motors.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    ...This grainy old video from 2010 I have watched and enjoyed far too many times. This was when the 5.0 Miami V8 was released in the FPV GT, race driver James Courtney give some jurno's a couple of wild laps of Bathurst. Just listen to the supercharger wail...............

Such an awesome track. And good noise.

3. Thanks Prange thanked for this post
    Likes Prange, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    Such an awesome track. And good noise.
    This lap by Scott McLaughlin, who is now racing in IndyCar, is absolutely spine tingling. The noise, the intensity and sheer talent of the driver is why I have watched this lap many, many times.

This is a favorite of mine too. The Ford teams all used the same basic Ford Motorsport 5.0 OHV V8 engine, but teams were able to build and spec them their own ways. These FPR version of the time had a very particular wailing howl to them at the top end.

Even better on a street circuit where that scream echoed off the walls.................

The early 2000's HRT Holdens were similar................that 6th to 4th to 2nd bwaaaaap was Mark Skaife at his best.

And this final lap of the 2013 race was fabulous to witness as a Ford man. Frosty carrying Wincup wide in the run up the mountain was "THE MOVE" of the day............

5. Thanks oneheadlite, Prange thanked for this post
    Likes Prange, Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I watched the first video and it was awesome! You could actually see the determination just watching it!

The V8 sound is always awesome but that gear sound from the trans inside thoughAussie Muscle!Aussie Muscle!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

7. Likes DFB, oneheadlite, Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This was always one of my favourites.

Peter Brock "On it" at Bathurst (Tooheys 1000 Top 10 Shootout 1991) Rare HQ - YouTube

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

9. Thanks Prange thanked for this post
    Likes DFB, oneheadlite, Prange, SNP209 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I assure you; this is not a po.n star name.............. Dick (Richard) Johnson battled it out next to Peter Brock during those years. No doubt, Peter had the money and talant to be more successful, but everyone likes "battler", and Dick was the quintennial battler for many years.

This video is significant for two reasons; just listen to that 351 Cleveland! I mean, I challenge anyone to not get a woody out of that! But also, because it was one of the worst crashes in Bathurst history...................

There are plenty of videos on Bathurst crashes, but one of the most hideous was this one from 2015................

That car was the fastest to that point in the weekend and would have been a high chance of winning. This is graphic, but if you watch the onboard footage, you can see Chaz's leg snap on the gear shifter and then left wobbling around as the car ricocheted across the track. The category actually changed the cars because of that, adding a support bar to avoid contact with the driver like that.

That car was a complete write off. I actually spotted it sitting on a shipping container at FPR a couple of years later, not nice. I also think those Pepsi Max Falcon's were one of the best-looking Ford race cars ever..............blue on blue...................

I'm going to say that I can't watch the sport now, it's just too fabricated. The drivers are puppets to the media company that allows them to go racing for "entertainment". I get more enjoyment looking back to the older days where teams had more freedom to innovate and the cars sounded meaner.

11. Thanks Prange thanked for this post
    Likes SNP209, Prange, oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    I assure you; this is not a po.n star name.............. Dick (Richard) Johnson battled it out next to Peter Brock during those years. No doubt, Peter had the money and talant to be more successful, but everyone likes "battler", and Dick was the quintennial battler for many years.

This video is significant for two reasons; just listen to that 351 Cleveland! I mean, I challenge anyone to not get a woody out of that! But also, because it was one of the worst crashes in Bathurst history...................

There are plenty of videos on Bathurst crashes, but one of the most hideous was this one from 2015................

That car was the fastest to that point in the weekend and would have been a high chance of winning. This is graphic, but if you watch the onboard footage, you can see Chaz's leg snap on the gear shifter and then left wobbling around as the car ricocheted across the track. The category actually changed the cars because of that, adding a support bar to avoid contact with the driver like that.

That car was a complete write off. I actually spotted it sitting on a shipping container at FPR a couple of years later, not nice. I also think those Pepsi Max Falcon's were one of the best-looking Ford race cars ever..............blue on blue...................

I'm going to say that I can't watch the sport now, it's just too fabricated. The drivers are puppets to the media company that allows them to go racing for "entertainment". I get more enjoyment looking back to the older days where teams had more freedom to innovate and the cars sounded meaner.
    Just like what happened to NASCAR. A shame.

13. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This documentary will be an interesting deep dive into the massive rivalry that went on between Ford and (GM) Holden in Australia. This rivalry was more than skin deep, often dividing families and friends alike, you were one or the other! If you were a Holden family, you wouldn't even be allowed to consider a Ford, and vice versa. This was not just a race-track thing, but it permeated the whole of Australian culture, there are even songs written about Ford and Holdens.

Sadly, this fierce rivalry has waned since Holden was killed by GM and Ford departed local manufacturing.

Narrated by Shane Jacobson, Ford v Holden is a feature-length documentary that explores the decades-long competition between two of Australia's most iconic car brands: Ford and Holden. From the early days of the automobile industry to the present, FORD V HOLDEN delves into the history, technology and culture of these rival companies and their impact on the Australian psyche and automotive landscape.

FORD V HOLDEN is in cinemas across Australia from 19 October 2023. Catch it early with special previews NOW at Bathurst Metro and selected cinemas.

15. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Dirty Harry, Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Seeing some of the videos you've been posting makes me ask: What is the future of the V8 Supercar Series?

The Camaro ends production this year which leave the Mustang as the last man standing in the pony car world regardless of what engine is under the hood. You still have other coupes like the M4 and Lexus RC which run in GT3 and GT4 specs, but nothing that really brings the spirit of the V8 Supercars...not to mention the RC F is the only one with a V8.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Seeing some of the videos you've been posting makes me ask: What is the future of the V8 Supercar Series?

The Camaro ends production this year which leave the Mustang as the last man standing in the pony car world regardless of what engine is under the hood. You still have other coupes like the M4 and Lexus RC which run in GT3 and GT4 specs, but nothing that really brings the spirit of the V8 Supercars...not to mention the RC F is the only one with a V8.
    V8 Supercars Category Management..........................

When GM euthanized Holden, sponsorship of the category drew to a close also. There is some under the table parts assistance, but the category had to pay GM for the rights to use the Camaro design IP on the new-gen cars. Now that GM teams have committed to the Camaro, they will be running an obsolete model for a number of years to come. The same happed with the Commodore and Falcon, running far beyond their discontinued road-car cousins.

The only remaining car company sponsoring the sport is Ford. No other car company want a bar of the category for fear of being associated with the "wrong" sort of people. You would think the category management would recognize this but, no, they have made sure to bite the hands that feeds them. The lack of parity this season has been a disgrace, there being only a remote chance of a Ford winning a race, but the management are ignoring Ford's now quite vocal protests, even a couple of key GM teams have agreed something needs to be done. Ford reacted a few months ago by pulling the pin of providing support vehicles, but even that didn't enact a proper response.

I think the likelihood of Ford stepping away from the sport would be a mere formality now. I am certainly not expecting Ford to be handed race wins on a silver platter just because they are the only car company actively involved in the sport. However, the last time there was an imbalance in parity, this time the Mustang held a significant advantage, the sport acted very quickly to bring the Ford's back down to allow the Holden's a chance to catch up. And yet, when the situation is reversed, it's crickets. This scenario has played out many, many times over the decades.

As such, I'm done with the sport, and I'm not the only one. I would once watch every race, every commentary, every qualifying session. Now, I'm over it. Even the drivers have had enough.

18. Thanks Klasse Act, Desertnate thanked for this post
    Likes Big Dave, Klasse Act liked this post
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast