autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Challenges with Gyeon Cancoat

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    What’s your towel situation? Did you use your same trusty towels to apply & remove? Or did you use brand new virgin towels? Same question as far the prep wipe.
    For the reapplication, I used brand new towels - a short pile microfiber to apply on one side, buff on the other. Then I had a second plush towel for the final buff.

Like I said, the first few washes (4 I would guess), the beading action was as advertised, in that it was awesome. Then, it started losing steam over the next few washes and now is really slow to dissipate off some areas. Still working well in others, but my application process was the same over the entire car, so I’m just perplexed.

Post Thanks / Like

Challenges with Gyeon Cancoat

Quote Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
    For the reapplication, I used brand new towels - a short pile microfiber to apply on one side, buff on the other. Then I had a second plush towel for the final buff.

Like I said, the first few washes (4 I would guess), the beading action was as advertised, in that it was awesome. Then, it started losing steam over the next few washes and now is really slow to dissipate off some areas. Still working well in others, but my application process was the same over the entire car, so I’m just perplexed.
    Where do you live? Perhaps there’s alot of air pollution where you’re at? I know in the area of Los Angeles where I’m at its very bad with smog, fallout, surrounded by refineries, etc… Typical lsp’s are lucky to last just over a month and that’s being optimistic. I’d be shocked if Cancoat could last 2 months here. I hope to test it 1 day. I’d bet good money it won’t make it.

Post Thanks / Like

When applying a coating/coating lite, most Manufacturers recommend a decon wash.

Tar remover if needed

Iron remover

A decon soap, alkaline or acidic. I do both alkaline then acidic then PH neutral.

Then a paint prep.

A normal wash may not remove all Impurities from the paint. Especially in the problem areas.

Short of polishing this is process most if not all recommend.

You may even find that if you had decon washed before recoating it may have “woken up” the coating by removing traffic film and contamination that a normal wash couldn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes CleanIT, DFB liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I live in the north Dallas area - there’s definitely a lot of pollen in the air, not sure about other pollution. This particular car does sit outside, but gets washed once a week. The whole reason I tried Cancoat is that Wetcoat wasn’t really sticking either. I’ve used that product forever and haven’t had this issue before….

Post Thanks / Like

I just did a plain wash with foam and bathe before reapplying.
    It probably did not bond with just this as prep. At a minimum a panel wipe should be used.

7. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Totally disregarding his OP, where he clearly prepped to the T and had the same result.^

9. Thanks dmboone25 thanked for this post
    Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I really tried to prep well. I might have missed the mark on that front.

I’ve just not had the experience that seems to be the norm for this product. I use a lot of Gyeon products so it’s not like I’m biased against the brand. It just doesn’t last nearly as long for me as it’s supposed to. I didn’t find it easy to work with either - it’s really grabby and easy to leave those shadows or high spots all over the place. I have no idea how anyone could do their entire car in 20 minutes. More like 2 hours.

My point being, if this is supposed to be so easy, then why do all these other factors matter? If I am supposed to be able to just spray it on, wipe it off, and move on, why does it seem to fail after 5 or 6 washes?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Totally disregarding his OP, where he clearly prepped to the T and had the same result.^
    That’s pretty much my point. It’s contradictory to say that this is supposed to be a really easy product to use, and yet the towel I used or whether or not I used a panel wipe prior to application could be fatal to its overall effectiveness? That’s just bizarre to me.

Post Thanks / Like

I really tried to prep well. I might have missed the mark on that front.

I’ve just not had the experience that seems to be the norm for this product. I use a lot of Gyeon products so it’s not like I’m biased against the brand. It just doesn’t last nearly as long for me as it’s supposed to. I didn’t find it easy to work with either - it’s really grabby and easy to leave those shadows or high spots all over the place. I have no idea how anyone could do their entire car in 20 minutes. More like 2 hours.

My point being, if this is supposed to be so easy, then why do all these other factors matter? If I am supposed to be able to just spray it on, wipe it off, and move on, why does it seem to fail after 5 or 6 washes?
    I saw that you used ceramic detailer every wash. This is not going to be removed with Bathe or even a panel wipe. It is sitting in between the CanCoat and the previous layer of Cancoat. It is going to need a decon wash to remove the ceramic detailer chemically.

I don't know how old your bottle is but CanCoat will become unusable after a few months once it is opened. I applied it to my brothers compact SUV in 15 minutes with the towel as an applicator. If you are getting high spots you are using too much product.

My review is on the forum here for when I applied CanCoat Evo.

13. Likes CleanIT, DFB, BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m sure this is sacrilegious to some, but the older I get, (73) the easier I need things to be. Last week I did my brand new BMW 228i GranCoupe with CanCoat. The paint was in great shape being new, (after I ran the baggy test), so all I did was spray and wipe down each panel with 50-50 IPA, and then put on the CanCoat, it worked perfectly. I Put it on with spraying a microfiber brick, then immediately followed with a fresh microfiber. No pics, the car is now up north and I'm back in Fl.
    Glen -

15. Likes CleanIT, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast