autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Picking out DA and polish for a newb

Quote Originally Posted by ws6guy View Post
    Thanks for all the info! I guess there's no clear cut answer, I just need to try somethings out LOL.

I'm leaning towards the G9 polisher. Also for some reason leaning towards the 3D line, I keep seeing how it's very user friendly. Does the speed have fillers so it will also be masking some of the swirls instead of correcting them? Maybe I'll try test panels with Speed and One. No matter what I use I plan on follow up anyway with Collinite 845 since I bought a bottle last year and only used it twice and have a bunch left.

Unfortunately I know my OCD is going to kick and try to get a car show level job. I'll need to fight this urge as it doesn't make sense on daily driver that sits outside all the time and I also use it for trucky things too.
    I would use one if I was going to apply colly 845.

Post Thanks / Like

Here she is. Only 30k miles. All these years I've never made it to the nationals, I keep thinking I'll do it sometime. Bad thing is that I'm only 2 hours from it

Attachment 76334
    Awesome car and growing in value. I been eyeing this for a while.

A little too rich for my blood and all the value is in not driving it…. But I want it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Likes Silly Rabbit, 4getgto, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the info! I guess there's no clear cut answer, I just need to try somethings out LOL.

I'm leaning towards the G9 polisher. Also for some reason leaning towards the 3D line, I keep seeing how it's very user friendly. Does the speed have fillers so it will also be masking some of the swirls instead of correcting them? Maybe I'll try test panels with Speed and One. No matter what I use I plan on follow up anyway with Collinite 845 since I bought a bottle last year and only used it twice and have a bunch left.

Unfortunately I know my OCD is going to kick and try to get a car show level job. I'll need to fight this urge as it doesn't make sense on daily driver that sits outside all the time and I also use it for trucky things too.
    I would look at the G15. A longer throw is just as easy to use and you got a lot of real estate to cover.

I would go griots boss pads. Yellow with any one step of your choice. I like to add my own LSP as I just don’t see oneStep LSP being that great for protection.

I was worried before I bought my g15 I would have FOMO for not buying a Flex or Rupes. I now love it and have no cares. You can buy cheaper but not better.

The only one ther one I’d consider in your situation is the Flex being gear driven but way i here is it takes a lot more out of you to ride that ride.

But definitely long throw or gear driven.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Awesome car and growing in value. I been eyeing this for a while.

A little too rich for my blood and all the value is in not driving it…. But I want it

My all time favorite cars! Perfect color and milage too. The prices just in the last 2 years for these has gone BONKERS.

6. Likes Coatingsarecrack, BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would look at the G15. A longer throw is just as easy to use and you got a lot of real estate to cover.

I would go griots boss pads. Yellow with any one step of your choice. I like to add my own LSP as I just don’t see oneStep LSP being that great for protection.

I was worried before I bought my g15 I would have FOMO for not buying a Flex or Rupes. I now love it and have no cares. You can buy cheaper but not better.

The only one ther one I’d consider in your situation is the Flex being gear driven but way i here is it takes a lot more out of you to ride that ride.

But definitely long throw or gear driven.

I love my G15. Great tool and has really sped up working on larger vehicles like the wife's SUV with tons of flat real estate to polish.

I haven't tried out the Griot's pads, but I really enjoy the Rupes yellow pads on the G15. They are perfect for doing a one-step job and I'm slowly phasing them in to my inventory as all of my old Lake Country white Flat and Thin Pro pads wear out.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Here she is. Only 30k miles. All these years I've never made it to the nationals, I keep thinking I'll do it sometime. Bad thing is that I'm only 2 hours from it

Attachment 76334
    Pretty car...I'll throw mine in the mix. 2000ws6 , 30k miles . Bought new..
    Picking out DA and polish for a newb-2022-07-27_13-17-36_016-jpg

Other guys here are giving you real sound advice so Ill it go there.

9. Thanks Coatingsarecrack thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4getgto View Post
    Pretty car...I'll throw mine in the mix. 2000ws6 , 30k miles . Bought new..
    Picking out DA and polish for a newb-2022-07-27_13-17-36_016-jpg

Other guys here are giving you real sound advice so Ill it go there.
    Love the car! You need to swing over to Dayton in Aug as well.
    Like the name as well, but I am a Pontiac guy, so love GTO's as well. But the 'Birds are #1!

11. Likes 4getgto liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You can buy cheaper but not better.
    your entitled to your opinion, to each his or her own...
    i am the jump starter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric7810 View Post
    Here’s your shopping list..

Porter Cable 7424
    Velcro backing pad
    Lake Country orange flat pads
    3D Speed
    Microfiber towels

Have fun

I'd recommend the same tool

I'd swap Speed for 3D One, that way you can choose your protection of choice.

I've been using the Buff and Shine Uro-Fiber for cutting, but they can finish nice on some paints too.

Lake Country HDO CCS Orange or Buff and Shine Uro-Tec Yellow would round out my recommendation.

Earlier this week I had to do some touch ups on a F150 Lightning. Some were on the painted plastic, and were almost impossible to remove with 3D ONE or ACA500 on Lake Country 1" microfiber cutting pads.

The plastic gets really hot and thus resistant to correction.

This next day I took my Rupes Blue Wool Cutting Pads with some Jescar to give it a shot.

Huge difference. I started with the Medium Polish and it got almost all of the sanding texture out. Once I moved up to the Correcting Compound they were obliterated. Best part was zero heat build up

I mention this because these pads would also be a great heavy cut option especially if you encounter those painted plastic panels. I'm confident the 3D products would have had a similar effect. I'd have to try and see sometime.

If you go the 3D ONE route, you'll want to put some wax or something on it.

Oh, and the Jescar Medium is a great polish that can cut and finish on a lot of different types of paints. Low / no dust, easy wipe off, etc.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I'm torn between the Speed and one. I have a feeling Speed would work just fine for the swirling that I have. However I'm also concerned that it might take more passes which means more time. Where as One would probably quicker. Guess I need figure out what pad One finishes out good with and still provides good correction as I still want to kept it to a one step.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast