autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: If you could only choose one complete “system”?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    NU-FINISH for the WIN!!!!

Been settin cars on fire since 1989…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes DFB, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    NU-FINISH for the WIN!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Been settin cars on fire since 1989…

Considering they still make it, clearly people still buy this junk.

One co-workers proudly showed me her new bottle of Nu-Finish............you know, because I like polishing cars. I had to bite my tongue so hard!

4. Likes dgage, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    This question goes against my most basic philosophy when it comes choosing products. I actually prefer a cabinet full of different brands because it allows me to use the products that work best for me regardless of the label on the bottle rather than having to compromise on some things simply to stay "in-brand"

However, for the sake of discussion, I'll bite: I'll joint the chorus of others and say CarPro. I've never used their polishes, but other than Elixr, I've never been totally disappointed with anything I've tried from them.
    This is ultimately my philosophy too, for a couple of reasons.

1/ I like experimenting with different products and brands, it brings me a lot of enjoyment.

2/ No one brand makes a complete range of "best" products, it's virtually impossible.

Having said that, I would be lying if I said my cabinet was full of the "best" products. Sometimes, you have to buy a product and try it for yourself to know if it's good or not, sometimes you discover a gem, sometimes you discover a dud.

Also, I don't have one "best" soap, I several "best" soaps. Necessary, absolutely not. Enjoyable? Absolutely yes.

6. Likes Big Dave, opie, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post

One co-workers proudly showed me her new bottle of Nu-Finish............you know, because I like polishing cars. I had to bite my tongue so hard!
    Reminds me of the guy I used to work with who wanted to show me the latest, greatest car cleaning product. Some guy sold it to him in a carpark. FW1, he explained how it was the most advanced car cleaning product out there, far superior to anything I had, even though he didn't even know what I used. Back then I was using a lot of Duragloss, Fast Clean and Shine, Wet Wax, and I can't remember what their car wash was, but I used it. I still have some Fast Clean and Shine in the car for bird crap emergencies. He bought into the whole FW1 thing so much he bought a box of 6. I just looked it up to see if it was still out there, holy sh1t, look what they're charging for it now.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

8. Likes DFB, Tasmania, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mr. Sheen for that just waxed look

10. Likes Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post

You did her a disservice and dishonored this thread. A court martial will be pending an investigation

For real though at least she is protecting her paint. Better than 80% out there

12. Likes Silly Rabbit, Big Dave, PaulMys, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    Reminds me of the guy I used to work with who wanted to show me the latest, greatest car cleaning product. Some guy sold it to him in a carpark. FW1, he explained how it was the most advanced car cleaning product out there, far superior to anything I had, even though he didn't even know what I used. Back then I was using a lot of Duragloss, Fast Clean and Shine, Wet Wax, and I can't remember what their car wash was, but I used it. I still have some Fast Clean and Shine in the car for bird crap emergencies. He bought into the whole FW1 thing so much he bought a box of 6. I just looked it up to see if it was still out there, holy sh1t, look what they're charging for it now.

But yeah, you get 40% more….

14. Likes Big Dave, PaulMys, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post

A few years back, I pulled into my local gas station and there were these 2 guys pushing this FW1 crap.

They had a little display table set up.

As I got out to pump my gas, one of these yahoo's starts jogging over to me with a can of this crap and a dirty-ass MF towel.

I said something to the effect of: "If one drop of that sh!t or that dirty fu*king towel touches this truck, it's gonna be about 6 weeks until you can use your arm again....."

You wouldn't believe how fast he stopped in his tracks.........
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

16. Likes Big Dave, DFB, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm basically Optimum for everything except:
    Rupes / Porter Cable polishers
    Buff and Shine / Lake Country pads
    3D Abrasives.

I either tossed or gave away everything else. I do have Meguiar's around for nostalgic reasons, but shifting to more of a "business" approach I whittled it down the above mentioned.

I do have the Optimum spray polish line, but find the 3D compounds to cut and finish much better than their Opti counterparts. Optimum Hyper Polish is really nice though. But it's mostly 3D.

If I had to choose it would be Optimum by light years.

18. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    This question goes against my most basic philosophy when it comes choosing products. I actually prefer a cabinet full of different brands because it allows me to use the products that work best for me regardless of the label on the bottle rather than having to compromise on some things simply to stay "in-brand"

However, for the sake of discussion, I'll bite: I'll joint the chorus of others and say CarPro. I've never used their polishes, but other than Elixr, I've never been totally disappointed with anything I've tried from them.
    I used to be like that with drum and detailing gear.

I decided to take the rout of trying to learn whatever product line I chose for the sake of efficiency and compatibility.

As with anything there are tradeoffs and learning curves, but the reduction in inventory is a blessing.

I can't even estimate how much time I wasted jumping from product to product, only to find what I was using first worked just fine.

For instance , if I started out with say 3D ONE, and switched to Menzerna 400, I might get more cut, but the fumes give me a headache, and the dust drives me nuts. Completely subjective points, but for me I tend to gravitate toward products that cooperate with my preferences. It's getting to the point of being a crutch.

With my paint protectants I give up a little on the tiny bead side but make up for it in ease of application, and great looking paint under whatever dirt is on it.

But the last thing I seriously want to do is function as a rep for anything I use. I probably come off that way, but my process and product selection is inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. They're just tools. I should be able to unlock the potential of any top tier product, preferences notwithstanding.

So take anything I say with a grain of salt!

20. Likes dgage, DFB liked this post
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast